Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Aussie Skating

vCash
    I have no problem with the skaters who competed at Nebelhorn being the ones to represent Australia at the games. There has been an open and accountable process throughout. Those skaters went to Nebelhorn, proved themselves worthy of an Olympic spot through their performance and have done everything that has been asked of them. We really would not have those places available if not for them.

With regards the timing, the skaters would still need to be training for 4CC and potentially Worlds, plus other possible international events. So I don't see that the games being six months away is an issue. This is the start of the season, not the end. You would hope by Olympics they are in peak form.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin Bean View Post
    By standing by the skaters who qualified the places it allows funding to ensure our skaters aren't just making up the number.
    Any skater who wants to demonstrate their true loyality as an Australian figure skater will be at nationals. It is possible that the excuse handbook will be dragged out, only time will tell.
    Oh I think everyone will be at nationals. My concern is if they don't win, especially by a large margin. That's basically saying they're not our best skater - why should we send someone who isn't our best to the Olympics? I don't think it's likely, but I think the scores at nationals should be taken into account - I don't think just nationals should determine who goes either, but I don't think just one competition should be the determiner, especially when that competition is not close to the Olympics are we have other competitions that are closer.

A lot could happen between now and the Olympics, and Australia should make sure we send the skaters who are our best to compete at the time of the Olympics.

vCash
    New article on the rise of Australian figure skating

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    New article on the rise of Australian figure skating
    That was written by Katherine Firkin who has been competing in Senior Ice Dance here in Australia. She works in the media so has been doing a fantastic job trying to raise the profile of the sport here in Australia.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Katherine Firkin on Brooklee Han's Olympic qualification: http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-spor...929-2ulxk.html
    Excerpt:
    Han was sitting in tenth place after her short program, but rallied in her free skate to finish in fifth position overall, and first out of the non-qualified countries.

“I knew I was a strong contender going in,” Han said.

“Qualifying for the Olympics was my goal. I’m very happy.”

In Melbourne, yesterday’s figure skating session at the Icehouse came to a standstill as word of Han’s achievement spread around.

Many skaters and parents were glued to their phones, watching the live results as they came through.

“She’s a great role model and such an inspiration,” said Alan Hall, President of the Icehouse Figure Skating Club which Han represents.

“This is a huge thing for our sport. It will give all our skaters here a real boost and encourage them to work harder.”
    ETA link to a local Connecticut article on Han's qualification at Nebelhorn (same local paper published a profile article about Brooklee in early February 2013): http://stamford.dailyvoice.com/sport...-olympic-dream
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-01-2013 at 01:49 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Looking like Australia will need a good result from Brendan Kerry in JGP Estonia in two weeks to squeak in for the last spot for team qualification.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    There have been two interpretations of the Team Event qualification:

1. A country needs at least three qualified disciplines, but has the option of appointing a fourth to complete the team, assuming there is an ISU-eligible skater/team with the TES minimums.

2. A country needs at least two qualified disciplines, and can appoint one skater/team to one of the two unqualified disciplines, if there is an ISU-eligile skater/team with the TES minimums.

If the former, Australia needs to pass two teams, UKR currently in 9th in points (with SKorea and Kazakhstan out with one qualified discipline), Estonia, and Great Britain, if there aren't enough dropouts to give Lafuente a spot, in which case Spain pushes Australia down another place, with Fernandez almost certainly to score more than anyone's JGP skater. If the latter is true, then Spain is also ahead of Australia.

Kazakhstan has only one qualified discipline with no other disciplines attempting qualification, and doesn't impact the rankings, and right now, so does S Korea, with their male skater too far down the alternates list (8th).
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    SO beyond thrilled for Brendan! I used to skate on the same FS sessions as Brendan and his sister when I lived in Sydney at MISC, and they were always the first skaters on and the last skaters off. They had an incredible enthusiasm for skating and a great work ethic on the ice, even at that young of an age. Can't wait to watch him skate in Sochi!

vCash
    Just came across this nice article on Brendan Kerry: http://www.hillsnews.com.au/story/18...-for-olympics/
    Excerpt:
    BRENDAN Kerry has done it — he’s going to next year’s Winter Olympics.
    And that despite suffering a suspected broken wrist sustained more than a day before in a warm-up.

What do you say after that?

Kerry’s face said everything but he added the magical words: “I’m going to be an Olympian. I don’t think it’s hit me yet.’’
    Kerry is following his mother Monica MacDonald, who competed at Calgary 1988 in ice dancing.

“I almost cried when the results came up — I’m so proud of Bren,” MacDonald said from Poland, where she has been coaching at a junior grand prix.

“The men’s event was always going to be tough, but he did what he needed to do.

‘‘I am a very proud mum and very proud to have been part of his journey.
    Kerry also mentions his "friends in Riverside in California" (fellow training mates coached by Tammy Gambill).

ETA this recent press release for the Riverside rink in which Kerry is mentioned: http://www.prweb.com/releases/icetow...eb10931482.htm
    “I have kids coming in to train at Icetown Riverside from all over the world now. I'm teaching kids from Australia, Hong Kong, Japan and Canada to name a few. The Australian boy, Brendan Kerry, just qualified for the Olympics and we couldn’t be more proud and excited!” says [Tammy] Gambill.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-15-2013 at 05:00 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Yeah I will go with that one as well.

We just need to get some more pairs happening. As great as the Dodds boys are, we need some more guys to step up.
    I feel like the newer Dodds pair has a chance. Can't remember the girls name, but watched them skate at the ISA review before Skate Downunder and they have been doing very well considering they have only been together for a part of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin Bean View Post
    According to the Australian Olympic Committee website the places qualified in Germany belong to the skater/skaters who qualify them with alternates only being used if there is a withdrawal. http://corporate.olympics.com.au/fil..._June2013_.pdf
    The problem being is that according to the ISA rules (please don't ask me to find the rules and quote them) we were supposed to send Chantelle Kerry to nebelhorn not Brooklee.
    There is no doubt for me that Brooklee would produce a better olympic result for Australia however there have already been legal battles going on over this and it is likely to just get worse if she pulls out another excuse and withdraws or gets beat by Chantelle at Nationals.

Despite me saying that Brooklee would produce a better Olympic spot, I also think that if Chantelle and Brooklee compete at Nationals that Chantelle will win. Which is why I agree with most of you in saying that not just one competition should decide who gets the spot. We really needed both Chantelle and Brooklee to both copete at the same international to decide it. I think another country was doing something similar at cup of Nice the other week, might have been the french team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTechSpec View Post
    The problem being is that according to the ISA rules (please don't ask me to find the rules and quote them)
    http://www.isa.org.au/Documents/High...ne%202013_.pdf (scroll down to "Selection to compete at the ISU Olympic Qualifying Competition")

I assume clause 4 ("Illness/Misadventure/Extenuating Circumstances") was applied.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-02-2013 at 08:27 AM.

vCash
    yes but... (and again i get most of this through the skating gossip talk and is likely to be partially wrong) there was an issue with brooklees excuse and something to do with her skating in a local US comp without getting ISA approval and at roughly the same time as she was "sick"...
    It is basically assumed that she was avoiding competing against chantelle in Australia, hence the court battles that have been going on...

vCash
    The only U.S. club competition I know of in which Brooklee Han competed in August was the Hershey Open in PA, Aug. 7-9: http://www.hersheyfigureskating.org/...ompanion_html/
    Skate DownUnder was Aug. 20-22.

vCash
    yeah to be honest im seriously under informed here, ima talk to my ISA person and get the full story if your interested. All i know is that there have been non stop fights within ISA over what will happen if Chantelle wins at Nationals. I know for a fact they've been trying to change the ISA rules on who gets to take the spot, which has started a fight with the OWI as well. Fun time to be on ISA no doubt.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Photos of two of the Dodds brothers from Coupe de Nice here.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Even if that were the case, AusTechSpec, you should not be publicising rumours like this. This is how real problems start, with people whispering behind other people's backs.

In more important matters, Jordan Dodds' burgundy SP velvet jacket is still one of my favourite costumes this season so far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Even if that were the case, AusTechSpec, you should not be publicising rumours like this. This is how real problems start, with people whispering behind other people's backs.
    Well there is also the ISA Member Protection Policy, which as a coach AusTech Spec should be fully aware of as a member of APSA and applying a certain degree of self-censorship, particularly in a public form such as this one.

vCash
    yes but... (and again i get most of this through the skating gossip talk and is likely to be partially wrong) ...
    yeah to be honest im seriously under informed here, ima talk to my ISA person and get the full story if your interested.
    I'm not interested in hearing "skating gossip talk" that is "likely to be partially wrong" masquerading as "the full story."

vCash
    The only way Chantelle will get Olympics is for Brooklee to be unable to attend for health reasons or personal indiscretion. The policy is clear on this.

Chantelle has not been able to beat Brooklee on total scores on the international stage. The aim of the AOC is the send the competitor with the ability to get the highest place possible at Olympics. At this stage Chantelle needs to stay match fit and be prepared to step up if required, not unlike David would for Brendan.

For Chantelle to excel further she needs to train overseas where she is surrounded by the competitive culture of training experienced by high level skaters. Australian training conditions remains largely recreational competitive rather then competition competitive and this is reflected in the scores achieved by the Australian group already training elsewhere compared to those who continue to train in conditions which include all ages and all levels on the ice at once.

vCash
    Why would Brooklee come to nationals when she knows Australian judges favor Chantelle.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast