Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Aussie Skating

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by can'tsk8 View Post
    Lets hope David can match Brendan internationally, that is yet to be seen. He seems to be inconsistant and does not have the same international experience as Brendan, but I hope he can replicate his Wintersun skate at his JGP's. Is it true that David make a coaching change and if so does anyone know why.
    David did not skate well at Nationals or that well at his JGP outside of Brisbane (his home rink).

David also skated very well at Hollins this year.
    I believe he is now with Valentin & Irina who have moved from Perth to Brisbane.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz_sk8ting_mum View Post
    David also skated very well at Hollins this year.
    I believe he is now with Valentin & Irina who have moved from Perth to Brisbane.
    Thanks for the update. David seemed to be doing very well with his old coach, so the change just seems a little strange.

Is anyone able to say why Brendan is not competing this season? Is he injured?

Also agree it is great to see Kailani is going to compete internationally, it is a shame she didn't get a JGP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icemarker View Post
    while I realize that people have their favorite skaters, this is quite an important year for the skater and really needs to be doing competitions whether they are promising or not. I do however disagree that he is the most promising male skater competing atm, he is not been allocated a International event, and also did not perform that well at wintersun. I think that David is very promising and skated very well at hollins and wintersun, but I wouldn't count out Mark at this stage. If you refer to his details on ISU it says he had major surgery last year on his hip, and he did a good job in the short at 4CC so we will see what the year unfolds.
    Correct me if I am wrong but last season Kerry was landing all triples up to the 3lutz with reasonable consistency as well as 3lutz(or flip?)/3toe combos and rotated 3axel a few times, right?

When is the last time we've seen this kind of jump arsenal from an Aussie skater?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but last season Kerry was landing all triples up to the 3lutz with reasonable consistency as well as 3lutz(or flip?)/3toe combos and rotated 3axel a few times, right?

When is the last time we've seen this kind of jump arsenal from an Aussie skater?
    We can't forget, though, that Mark Webster made significant improvements in the 2010-2011 season--eventually leading to rotating and landing a 3A at Four Continents in 2011. It was surely his injury that held him back this last season from making any more progress. In any case, whether it is through Webster, Kerry, or Kranjec, I am sure we will be seeing some stronger jump content from the Australian men soon.

vCash
    Watch out also for Cameron Hemmert he is coming back off injury and landing 3 Lutz, 3 loop and 3 Toe (in practice) and caught the eye of Brain Orser when he was out here.
    He is Currently training in Canada and will be at the JGP in Istanbul. We have a couple to watch .. It's nice

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Thank you for the updates.
    Last edited by essence_of_soy; 08-11-2012 at 03:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Brendan Kerry appears not to have any international assignments. Did he not qualify?
    I would assume so, since he has a lower ranking than the other junior eligible men.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater91 View Post
    I would assume so, since he has a lower ranking than the other junior eligible men.
    How do you figure that?
    He is in fact 1st ranked in the standings in the international pool both for Junior and Senior.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Wow O'Brien and Merriman are competing five times
    But the Crystal Skate and NRW Trophy have overlapping dates - can they really do both events?

vCash
    How do you figure that?
    He is in fact 1st ranked in the standings in the international pool both for Junior and Senior.
    Sorry he has a lower "Seasons ranking" and shouldn't we be sending the best skaters of the season away.
    Just because someone has previously been skating well doesn't mean they are now, a lot can change in a year!
    Last edited by Skater91; 08-12-2012 at 07:39 AM.

vCash
    Sorry he has a lower "Seasons ranking" and shouldn't we be sending the best skaters of the season away.
    Just because someone has previously been skating well doesn't mean they are now, a lot can change in a year!
    Your right, we should be sending the best skaters but its done on ranking and The Seasons Ranking is based on one competition only. The Pool ranking is based on multi competitions and the all important TES score. Brendon's scores at 4CC and Worlds were not a year ago, they were this year.

ISA have chosen to season rank based on Wintersun this year but it's only one comp and it only improved current rankings in the pool and added newly qualified people to the pool.

Any Skater can have have a bad skate we all know that.

vCash
    Season runs from July to July. this years 4CC and worlds were last years season.
    Wintersun was in this years season but right at the start where some of these athletes are taking a well earn break. Therefore the results at winternsun really do not give any representation of proficiency and are not a good indicator of ranking for the International skater.

vCash
    You have valid points, but my one question is then why has this decision been made to send the selected men?

I think if you are considering other previous events both David, Brendan and Jordan deserve spots at the JGP events.
    Since all three have performed well over the past year at some point, even with all of there inconsistent performances. I believe from looking at there PPCs all three of them would be evenly matched in TES if they skated clean.

My only concern is Cameron Hemmert considering he hasn't competed in nearly a whole year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    Wow O'Brien and Merriman are competing five times
    But the Crystal Skate and NRW Trophy have overlapping dates - can they really do both events?

Good Luck to Greg and Danny!!
    They are in the same boat as everyone in needing the Magic TES to get them to Worlds next year, I guess they have to take every opportunity they can to get that.
    They have put so much in to their training by living in the US the past 12 months, guess they are just going to run with it! Good on on them and Good luck to them!!

vCash
    I agree - hope Dani and Greg have a great season.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash

Smile

Good Luck to Greg and Danny!!
    They are in the same boat as everyone in needing the Magic TES to get them to Worlds next year, I guess they have to take every opportunity they can to get that.
    They have put so much in to their training by living in the US the past 12 months, guess they are just going to run with it! Good on on them and Good luck to them!!
    Ditto

vCash
    My only concern is Cameron Hemmert considering he hasn't competed in nearly a whole year.
    Cameron Hemmert is skating in junior men at the Thornhill Competition this weekend in Canada http://www.skatecanada-centralontari...02012/jmso.pdf

All the best of luck to him!

vCash
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24796793

Here is the video of the Thornhill competition with Cameron Hemmert skating

vCash
    http://www.skatecanada-centralontari...2012/index.htm
    Results for Thornhill Competition Canada, Cameron Hemmert skated for Australia.

vCash
    JGP Number 2 at Lake Placid coming up this week.
    Good luck to Brooklee Han, Jordan Dodds and Eliza Smyth.

Also to Maddie Parker who skates at Canterbury and Macquarie these days but represents NZ!!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast