Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Aussie Skating

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Why would Brooklee come to nationals when she knows Australian judges favor Chantelle.
    Are you just trying to stir trouble? Why would someone say that when they have no proof?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    This is exactly the sort of crap Australian skating does NOT need. People talking rubbish, hinting darkly at wild conspiracy theories, dishing out gossip as "fact". Australian skating has a hard enough time getting taken seriously as a sport to begin with without idiots like you two carrying on like eleven-year-old girls.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    This is exactly the sort of crap Australian skating does NOT need. People talking rubbish, hinting darkly at wild conspiracy theories, dishing out gossip as "fact". Australian skating has a hard enough time getting taken seriously as a sport to begin with without idiots like you two carrying on like eleven-year-old girls.
    I totally agree. It really is unnecessary to be making such comments. We are such a small skating community and to read some of this stuff is embarrassing to say the least.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I totally agree. It really is unnecessary to be making such comments. We are such a small skating community and to read some of this stuff is embarrassing to say the least.
    oh come on... Everyone talks like this about the high level skaters. Whether they deserved to win, or lose, they should've gotten higher, the judges obviously favor them. Why do we have this idea that it is forbidden for Australian skaters. really?

I agree on the matter though, in an Australian competition, Chantelle is likely to win. Competing anywhere else I would expect a very different result.

vCash
    It is no secret that Australian judges prefer Chantelle. Yes her short program was great at skatedownunder but she received higher scores than what she would overseas.

Internationally if both were clean brooklee would win, but in Australia Chantelle gets favored and receives higher PCS

You can disagree if u like but this is reality. so why would brooklee come to nationals if chantelle is already in line to win. why risk the olympic spot that she just obtained.

vCash
    New interview with Brooklee Han: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/11/04/63662690
    Excerpt:
    Icenetwork: According to the rules of your federation, the skater who earns the spot will be the one representing Australia at the Olympic Winter Games. Is this so?

Han: The Australian Olympic Committee and Ice Skating Australia, my federation, policy states that whoever secured the spot at Nebelhorn Trophy gets the Olympic spot. In theory, this does mean that anyone could have gone to Nebelhorn Trophy to secure the spot. However, another policy stated that whoever had the highest total score from various international events would get to go. As I had the highest total score, I was the skater chosen to go.

Icenetwork: And what will your goals be at the Australian championships this December? Will it be something like last pre-Olympic training or does this event have special meaning for you?

Han: This year's Australian nationals will be held in my home state of Victoria and at my home rink, Medibank Icehouse in Melbourne. No matter where you are from, skating in front of a home crowd is always very special and meaningful. At this event, I hope to put out two solid programs and perform the way I do in practice.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    So her spot for Sochi is confirmed, yes?! And it doesn't matter how she skates at Nationals right? No more Miriam Manzano situation?!

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    So her spot for Sochi is confirmed, yes?! And it doesn't matter how she skates at Nationals right? No more Miriam Manzano situation?!
    Is Nationals being used to determine which skaters are being sent to Four Continents, Junior Worlds and Worlds?

So for example if Chantelle Kerry wins and Brooklee Han is second, will Kerry be sent to Worlds? Or if both skaters go to Four Continents, will the decision be made there?
    Last edited by essence_of_soy; 11-05-2013 at 04:10 AM.

vCash
    The Policy Document is at: http://www.isa.org.au/Documents/High...20Criteria.pdf

The section relating to Worlds states

4.2 World Championships
    (a) Selection for the 2014 ISU World Figure Skating Championships will be allocated to senior age
    eligible athletes from the ISA Senior International Pool who:
    (i) have achieved the ISU Minimum Technical Scores for World Figure Skating
    Championships 2014 by 26 January 2014.
    The ISU minimum Technical Scores for World Figure Skating Championships 2014 as
    published by the ISU are:
    Men SP 34.0 FS 63.0
    Ladies SP 26.0 FS 46.0
    Pair Skating SP 24.0 FS 41.0
    Ice Dance SD 28.0 FD 38.0
    and
    (ii) have competed in the Senior Division of the 2013 AFSC or have been granted an
    Exceptional Circumstance for the 2013 AFSC
    (b) If more than one (1) athlete in each discipline has met the above requirements, athletes will
    be evaluated by the ISA Selection Panel based on their two highest:
    (i) Technical Element Scores (short program/dance); and
    (ii) Technical Element Scores (free program/dance); and
    (iii) Total Points Scores
    achieved at any two of the following events:
     2013 AFSC;
     2013/2014 ISU International Competitions in the current international skating season;
    and
     One 2013 ISU Championship event
    (c) The mean of each of the scores obtained for 4.2(b)(i),(ii),(iii) above will be calculated. The
    highest aggregate ordinals of the scores will be used to determine nominations. In the case
    of a tie in the ordinals of the scores, then the athlete with the highest short program/dance
    TES will determine the nominations.
    (d) The nominations will be published on the ISA website (www.isa.org.au) by 3 February 2013.
    Subsequently ranked athletes will be entered as substitutes.
    (e) If ISA is unable to fill the full entry quota by 26 January 2014, then ISA will consider any
    athletes in the ISA Senior International pool who are able to achieve the ISU Minimum
    Technical Score requirements for ISU World Figure Skating Championships between 27
    January and 16 March 2014. Athletes entered into ISU international competitions within the
    specified timeframe will receive a provisional entry for the ISU World Figure Skating
    Championships subject to achieving the ISU Minimum Technical Scores. If more than one
    athlete meets the ISU Minimum Technical Score requirements, the athlete with the highest
    short program/dance TES will be nominated.

vCash
    Congratulations to Brooklee Han on winning her first international gold medal in Latvia this past weekend! Article: http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/new...national-event
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Congratulations to Brooklee Han on winning her first international gold medal in Latvia this past weekend! Article: http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/new...national-event
    Well done! When was the last time an Aussie lady win any international competition?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Well done! When was the last time an Aussie lady win any international competition?
    Chantelle Kerry won Skate DownUnder in August.

Prior to that, Joanne Carter won Piruetten in 1998.
    Last edited by aussieSKATES; 11-11-2013 at 06:02 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTechSpec View Post
    oh come on... Everyone talks like this about the high level skaters. Whether they deserved to win, or lose, they should've gotten higher, the judges obviously favor them. Why do we have this idea that it is forbidden for Australian skaters. really?

I agree on the matter though, in an Australian competition, Chantelle is likely to win. Competing anywhere else I would expect a very different result.
    Talking about it doesn't mean that it is true. And if you feel the right to talk about conspiracy theories, others have the right to object to it. If you think the rules are not fair. then write in to change it. Conspiracy theories do not paint a good picture of any organisation and they have the right to demand proof to support the negative theory. If I am a rich organisation, I will take legal action. This is defamation to a certain extent.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. Ė Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Re-posting from the "New Skate Guard Articles/Interviews" thread in GSD:
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    New on Is That A Skate Guard In Your Pocket Or Are You Happy To See Me?:

Interview with Andrew Dodds: http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/2013...rew-dodds.html
    Excerpt:

Q: The Australian National Championships are coming up, what are your goals for this season and what can you share about your new programs for this year? 

A: I have a few different goals this season. I am happy to say I have already achieved my first goal at the 2013 Cup of Nice just a few weeks ago, which was to gain my Four Continents and Olympic TES scores. Some of my other goals of the season are to skate a new personal best in both programs at Nationals and make the 2014 Australian Four Continents team. For my programs this year I am skating to "Pagliacci" and "Nessun Dorma".

vCash
    Brooklee Han article before Australian Nationals: http://newcanaan.dailyvoice.com/spor...-bid-australia
    Australia selects its representative based on previous results. The process is also open to interpretation, although Han’s recent accomplishments make her the clear favorite to earn the Sochi spot. The selection will be announced on Dec. 4.

Han earned an Olympic berth for Australia by finishing fifth at the Nebelhorn Trophy in Germany in September. She finished first among skaters whose countries had not already qualified for the Olympics. After finishing 10th in the short program, Han zoomed to fifth with a score of 98.42 in the long program, eclipsing her previous personal best by more than seven points. Her total score was 147.16.

At the Volvo Open Cup in early November in Latvia, Han skated even better. She won the short and long programs and won first place in the international event with a total of 151.76.

“I think going into this season, I had some good momentum,’’ said Han, who is coached by Serhii Vaypan and trains in Simsbury. “I feel like I’m being taken more seriously as a senior international skater. The judges and the panels are starting to look at me more and I think I’ve improved technically in the quality of my jumps, skills and interpretation of music.”

vCash
    What? So her place isn't already confirmed?!

vCash
    First article published on this topic - I decided to start a new GSD thread:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ration-hearing
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-03-2013 at 02:14 AM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Am I missing a thread in Kiss and Cry about Australian Nationals, or is the competition only being discussed here and in the CAS hearing thread?

I really enjoyed watching the Novice Dance: simple skating and simple lifts. I only see Eliza Smyth and Jordan Dodds listed for international competition, and they're Juniors. I couldn't hear the name of Matthew Dodds' partner, with whom he competed in Senior Pairs. they seemed to have lots of speed, and their one-foot, change direction footwork into their jump combo was wicked. Their lifts had lots of ice coverage, but I was a little scared watching his feet in the turning lifts, although he seemed quite stable. She fought for her landings, while the younger Pairs women seemed to collapse into theirs. I wish they could go to Gauthier for some extensive coaching. None of the Pairs get high at all in the double twists.

ETA: Love the coaches trying to cheer up the gladiator kid in KnC.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 12-06-2013 at 04:30 AM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Am I missing a thread in Kiss and Cry about Australian Nationals, or is the competition only being discussed here and in the CAS hearing thread?
    It's in the "Other Nationals" forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...-Championships

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Many thanks, Sylvia!
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910