Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Aussie Skating

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash
    This is someone else's idea, but I'll shamelessly copy

#australiaforteamevent2018
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post

haha! Let's make it trend!

*running around in hyper-excited circles*

vCash

Yeah I will go with that one as well.

We just need to get some more pairs happening. As great as the Dodds boys are, we need some more guys to step up.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Well done Brooklee Han. I guess she gets it, she takes it, yes? Cheltzie Lee hasn't competed internationally in about 200 years and probably doesn't have a qualifying score anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Well done Brooklee Han. I guess she gets it, she takes it, yes? Cheltzie Lee hasn't competed internationally in about 200 years and probably doesn't have a qualifying score anyway.
    It'll be either Brooklee or Chantelle, I would imagine; and I think Australian Nationals may have a bearing on the outcome (early December). But I think in this case, Brooklee got it, Brooklee goes.

Cheltzie is doing a masters at uni.

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET_aP_Z2GRw

Here is Brooklee's performance.

vCash
    It's not Brooklee's spot, it's Australia's spot. I think Nationals will play into who goes, but I think it will end up being Brooklee. Her skates were both great - loved the free, and she moved up a lot!

vCash
    Great job Brooklee! Congrats!

vCash
    My understanding of the team event qualification procedures is that if Australia - through the points they earn this year - were able to be in the top 10, they could compete in the team event.

This is because they've qualified in two disciplines, and are able to field an entrant in a third discipline.

Icenetwork implied you could only bring non-qualified skaters in one discipline if you qualified entrants in the three other disciplines. I think a country needs only to qualify entrants in two disciplines.

But even if I'm right and icenetwork is wrong, they are a long shot as they would have to out-earn GBR, Estonia and potentially the Czechs on the GP this season. 126 points separate the four countries. GBR is in the 'lead' and Australia is 126 points behind.

ETA: If a country only needs to qualify in two disciplines, this means Spain is in, so they now all have to catch the Ukranians, who are in 10th place with 991 points.
    Last edited by Coco; 09-29-2013 at 03:00 AM.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Thanks for explaining Coco.

Just seen the results of the dance. Fantastic for Dani and Greg. Great for Australian skating and just to boost we need for our sport. It will mean that next year there will be a big promotional opportunity for skating. I really hope the skate schools across the country boom.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Thanks for explaining Coco.

Just seen the results of the dance. Fantastic for Dani and Greg. Great for Australian skating and just to boost we need for our sport. It will mean that next year there will be a big promotional opportunity for skating. I really hope the skate schools across the country boom.

Certainly, having successful local skaters and giving them the publicity will help raise ice skating interest. I didn't realise I have some friends who love to watch figure skating until I posted my favourite skater on my Facebook since ice skating is not a much talked about sport in Australia.

Our skaters did a wonderful job in spite of the incredible shortcomings in Australia. Kudos to their parents who probably had to drive them many kilometres to practice every day.

If we can promote ice skating to the children, there may be more interest to take up ice skating. I think one set back is lack of skating rinks around Australia. How many skating rinks are there in Melbourne? Brisbane has only two ice rinks.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Melbourne has two venues. The two rink facility at Docklands which is world class. The other is Oakleigh which is not full size and has probably seen better days. We badly need another one in Melbourne to cater for all the ice sports. Hockey is pretty desperate for another one.

vCash

Count me in, too!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    double post
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Melbourne has two venues. The two rink facility at Docklands which is world class. The other is Oakleigh which is not full size and has probably seen better days. We badly need another one in Melbourne to cater for all the ice sports. Hockey is pretty desperate for another one.
    I guess the rink in St Kilda is long gone
    It's where I learned to skate as a child - got good at going around and around in a big oval, and waltzing with my sister

Thrilled for all the Aussie skaters getting Oly spots

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    According to the Australian Olympic Committee website the places qualified in Germany belong to the skater/skaters who qualify them with alternates only being used if there is a withdrawal. http://corporate.olympics.com.au/fil..._June2013_.pdf

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin Bean View Post
    According to the Australian Olympic Committee website the places qualified in Germany belong to the skater/skaters who qualify them with alternates only being used if there is a withdrawal. http://corporate.olympics.com.au/fil..._June2013_.pdf
    Nationals means nothing? Don't like that at all. Thanks for posting, though.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Nationals means nothing? Don't like that at all. Thanks for posting, though.
    Yes, the thought of that makes me nervous too. The games are still six months away.

Years ago Nationals used to be held in Winter around August / September.

To keep skaters training and motivated, for qualification to international events such as the World Championshps the following March, national competitions like The Summer Trophy were used to determine who would go.

vCash
    What if someone else blitzes the qualifiers' scores? It's not likely, but possible. I don't think one event (regardless of what it is) should determine who is sent. I don't think it ensures the best skater (at the time) is sent. Again, I think the skaters who qualify will probably be the ones on top at nationals, but I still think the Olympic spots shouldn't be determined already.

vCash
    By standing by the skaters who qualified the places it allows funding to ensure our skaters aren't just making up the number.
    Any skater who wants to demonstrate their true loyality as an Australian figure skater will be at nationals. It is possible that the excuse handbook will be dragged out, only time will tell.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast