Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Aussie Skating

vCash
    And the two competitions for international ranking points are Hollins and Wintersun.

(I think it's much smarter to have two instead of one.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Seeing this is the Aussie Skating thread, have to mention that Nationals will take place in Melbourne this year.
    that is exciting!

vCash
    Is Stephanie Zhang planning on continuing this season after making her big comeback last year?

vCash
    I forgot to post earlier that Australia has a new Senior B! Skate DownUnder (all disciplines), Aug. 20-22, in Brisbane. Source thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ns-for-2013-14
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Skate DownUnder will be held in Sydney, not Brisbane as originally thought. It's likely the official announcement will be circulated in the coming days. Its a first ever for Sydney to have an international ISU figure skating event. Very exciting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rae35 View Post
    Skate DownUnder will be held in Sydney, not Brisbane as originally thought. It's likely the official announcement will be circulated in the coming days. Its a first ever for Sydney to have an international ISU figure skating event. Very exciting.

Even better! I can drive!

Do you know which rink? Any hotel recommendations nearby? *planning*

vCash
    That's brilliant news. I'll put a pre-announcement message on Facebook at aussieskates.com

vCash
    SkateDownunder will be held at Canterbury Ice Rink. Hotels nearby still require a car or taxi ride. There's Comfort Hotel in Burwood, Spanish Inn at Strathfield South about a 5 min drive but not many services nearby. I suspect most people will stay at Bankstown International (15 minute drive) because there is a big shopping centre across the road. The other fabulous option is Sydney Olympic Park - which is a lot of fun and where the Sydney Olympics was held. Also a 15 minute drive
    Public transport is not great around Canterbury Ice Rink but it is only a 10 min walk from either Canterbury or Campsie Railway Stations, but I wouldn't recommend walking to Canterbury Railway Station at night (through a park)

vCash
    Great news! No exact date yet? Oo, just saw it, sorry.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    How is Canterbury? Is it up and running yet?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    SkateDownunder will be held at Canterbury Ice Rink. Hotels nearby still require a car or taxi ride. There's Comfort Hotel in Burwood, Spanish Inn at Strathfield South about a 5 min drive but not many services nearby. I suspect most people will stay at Bankstown International (15 minute drive) because there is a big shopping centre across the road. The other fabulous option is Sydney Olympic Park - which is a lot of fun and where the Sydney Olympics was held. Also a 15 minute drive
    Public transport is not great around Canterbury Ice Rink but it is only a 10 min walk from either Canterbury or Campsie Railway Stations, but I wouldn't recommend walking to Canterbury Railway Station at night (through a park)

Too bad Macquarie or the Sydney Ice Arena couldn't have been selected. Rae is right. Canterbury is pretty scary at night, and this is coming from someone who lives near Footscray in Melbourne.

From memory, the arena is quite old but in the process of being repainted.
    Last edited by essence_of_soy; 05-18-2013 at 05:40 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    From memory, the arena is quite old but in the process of being repainted.
    And a bit more ...
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I heard Canterbury decided to do some big renovations after the fire.

vCash
    Canterbury Ice Rink update: Called in there yesterday: The ice is due to melted early next week and a new ice floor laid. That means all sand up and pipes relaid, then ice relaid. A new roof has been installed, builders are working and painting is happening - but bear in mind the facility is 43 years old. For those who don't know, Canterbury Olympic Ice Rink is a Co-Operative that was built with $30,000 seed money donated by skaters in 1969 after every rink in Sydney was closed and there was nowhere to skate. Opened March 5, 1970 and housed in what could only be described as a tin shed - those echos remain, but much had changed also. It is a "work-horse" rink with a heart. Every dollar - to this day - that is earned by the operation of the rink, goes back into sustaining the rink for all skaters (figure,hockey,speed, public, skating school) and in supporting and providing the best ice time possible for each discipline. The rink has been the training ground for almost every Australian figure skating Olympian since 1984 (Peter and Liz Cain, Vicki Holland, Tracy Brook, Monica McDonald and Rodney Clarke, Cameron Medhurst, Stephen Carr and Danielle McGrath, Joanne Carter, Stephanie Zhang, Cheltzie Lee) and also Olympic Gold Medallist Steven Bradbury. Canterbury was also home to Australia's first ever Winter Olympic medal (short track bronze) at Lillehammer 1994. There is much to be proud of, but always much more to do. The challenges to keep the rink going over the decades have been immense, but to be able to hold Skate DownUnder as an historic first-ever ISU figure skating competition this August in NSW will be absolutely fabulous. There will be an enormous welcome to all visitors for Skate Downunder at Canterbury. (Please remember that it will be at the end of the Australian winter and still quite chilly).

vCash
    I made a mistake. Canterbury Ice Rink opened March 5, 1971 (not 1970).

vCash
    (Please remember that it will be at the end of the Australian winter and still quite chilly).
    Pah. You Sydneysiders don't know the meaning of chilly.

vCash
    How is Sydney paying for this competition ?? They have no money especially after the renovations ??

vCash
    The rink has been the training ground for almost every Australian figure skating Olympian since 1984 (Peter and Liz Cain, Vicki Holland, Tracy Brook, Monica McDonald and Rodney Clarke, Cameron Medhurst, Stephen Carr and Danielle McGrath, Joanne Carter, Stephanie Zhang, Cheltzie Lee) and also Olympic Gold Medallist Steven Bradbury..
    So many great Australian names from the past. Tracy Brook was a particular favourite from that era. I was so thrilled when she skated to a top 18 finish at the 1987 World Championships.

I loved watching Tracy compete at '88 Nationals held at Canterbury and Macquarie along with Melanie Reyner and Sabrina Moreth. The junior ladies championship was outstanding, too.

Whenever I hear the Princesse Zenobia Ballet from On Your Toes, I still thing of Reyner's gorgeous short program as well.
    Last edited by aussieSKATES; 05-18-2013 at 04:53 PM.

vCash
    Geez Rae, that timeline's going to be a bit tight for Hollins, isn't it?

It can't be that long till Hollins because the Autumn Trophy's next weekend and that's usually three weeks before Hollins.

vCash
    Hollins is being held at Penrith this year because its unknown if COIR will be 100% ready to go.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast