View Poll Results: Most "unbeloved" Olympic Champions, iyho???

Voters
352. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tara Lipinski - 1998

28 7.95%
  • Sarah Hughes - 2002

92 26.14%
  • Sale & Pelletier - 2002

89 25.28%
  • Totmiannina & Marinin - 2006

14 3.98%
  • Gritschuk & Platov - 1994

14 3.98%
  • Viktor Petrenko - 1992

1 0.28%
  • Alexei Urmanov - 1994

28 7.95%
  • Evgeny Plushenko - 2006

17 4.83%
  • Evan Lysacek - 2010

46 13.07%
  • OTHER! Please state, and please forgive, if I didn't mention someome/somthing remarkable!

23 6.53%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

The most "unbeloved" Olympic Champion(s) - what do you think?

No further comment!

vCash
    I'll be the first. I chose other and I had Trixi Schuba in mind. Granted, she was the best at figures,otherwise her skating was not remarkable to put it mildly
    She's not admired for her free skating.

vCash
    Urmanov.

I have absolutely nothing against him. But I'm not sure I've ever seen evidence of Urmanov ubers here or elsewhere. No gushing about him. No reminiscing of his programs or anything. He doesn't make anyone's lists of favorite skaters or programs or anything. He is just sort of forgotten.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Urmanov.

I have absolutely nothing against him. But I'm not sure I've ever seen evidence of Urmanov ubers here or elsewhere. No gushing about him. No reminiscing of his programs or anything. He doesn't make anyone's lists of favorite skaters or programs or anything. He is just sort of forgotten.
    I gush about him all the time! He had wonderful style and skating skills as well as picture perfect jumps. Love his musicality.

I also defended him all through the survivor threads until he got voted out!

By the way my vote goes to Hughes for being the most undeserving OGM on the list

vCash
    Wolfgang Schwarz. I think he always had the reputation of being the man who won mainly because Emmerich Danzer made a big mistake in the school figures, and he also has a reputation here as the guy who robbed Tim Wood of that very same OGM. Also, as Vagabond pointed out in the men's OGM Survivor thread, he's a convicted human trafficker.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Wolfgang Schwarz. I think he always had the reputation of being the man who won mainly because Emmerich Danzer made a big mistake in the school figures, and he also has a reputation here as the guy who robbed Tim Wood of that very same OGM. Also, as Vagabond pointed out in the men's OGM Survivor thread, he's a convicted human trafficker.
    I think that last part ought to be the first reason he's not beloved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    I think that last part ought to be the first reason he's not beloved.
    I saved the best reason for last.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Such a shameless person!

vCash
    Most unbeloved Olympic champion? Oh, this is going to end well.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    I'm gonna go with Sale/Pelletier, Sarah Hughes wasn't my favourite skater, but at least she earned her OGM more fairly than S/P in my eyes...

vCash
    OMG!!! I wish this was multiple choice!
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    Ita and it boggles the mind why it's not a poll choice other than "other". On second thought, no its not. Most polls at fsu refuse to admit that skating existed before 1988.

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    Yeah, this really should be multiple choice. Urmanov is my favorite from the list and I totally don't get what people have against him; he's a much better skater than Stojko and deserved his OGM, IMO.

I'll say other and side with falling_dance against Schwarz as the absolute worst Olympic Champion though.

vCash
    Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner!

Wow, I think even if Tonya Harding had won the gold medal, he'd still come out on top (or on the bottom).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    By the way my vote goes to Hughes for being the most undeserving OGM on the list
    I think Sarah deserved her OGM by the way she skated that night; she just didn't have a skating career to match. The rest of her career was pretty unremarkable for what you would expect and OGM to have.

vCash
    Yep.

vCash
    Interesting topic. I had to think -does it mean actively disliked (then Tara gets my vote) or just a skater hardly anyone got excited over (then Hughes gets my vote as most meh OGM). If it means no one likes them much outside their home turf, then I think Sale & Pelletier may get the nod. (I think they were pretty beloved in Canada.)

I guess few folks agreed with Grishuk-P's win in 94, and Canadians didn't think Urmanov deserved the win, but they, and all the others had their fans.

The one who does not belong on this list at all is Viktor Petrenko. He was a hugely popular skater, even in North America. (Was this poll by chance assembled by someone too young to remember the early 1990s very well?)
    Last edited by Susan M; 07-24-2012 at 01:42 AM.

vCash
    I voted Sale and Pelletier. They aren't my favorite, I definitely prefer B/S, but some people speak of them as though they shouldn't have ever qualified for a world championship.

My personal pic is Evan, though. It's true...I don't love him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    Wow, I think even if Tonya Harding had won the gold medal, [Schwarz would] still come out on top (or on the bottom).
    My mind went to a very bad place, thinking about Tonya, Schwarz, and tops and bottoms. On second thought, maybe someone should've sic'ed (sp?) Tonya on Schwarz like that as punishment for his crimes...? But I digress.

ETA: oh, and I voted for Sale/Pelletier.

vCash
    Sale and Pelletier shouldn't even count. Their medal is as earned as the American gymnasts' 2000 bronze medal.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast