Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
    vCash
    OK all of you gymnastics fans: Inquire what: I am assuming the start value or whatever it is called is typed in and then the judges put in their individual scores and the computer kicks out a score. Am I wrong?

vCash
    Actually the score starts at zero. The A panel scores difficulty or D score and they add points as the gymnast completes skills and connections. The B panel scores execution or E score up to a perfect 10. Several judges award an E score and then those are averaged for the official E score.

The D and E scores are added together to come up with the final score.

See here for more detail.....

http://www.stickitmedia.com/explaini...astics-scores/

vCash
    They questioned the connection value as part of the difficulty or D score.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    OK all of you gymnastics fans: Inquire what: I am assuming the start value or whatever it is called is typed in and then the judges put in their individual scores and the computer kicks out a score. Am I wrong?
    You're not far off but that's not really related to the inquiry. The Inquiry is into the start value. So if the coaches feel that there was an error in the start value, they can challenge the score and the judges will review the call.

vCash
    More on Aly's score change on beam:

Hold on. There was an inquiry. Raisman said U.S. national team coordinator Martha Karolyi and her husband, Bela, yelled toward her coach on the floor, Mihai Brestyan, to inquire. (Bela no longer works for USA Gymnastics and is credentialed through NBC for the Olympics, according to USA Gymnastics.)

"I think at first [Brestyan] didn't know that he should do it, but then they yelled for him to do it, so he did it," Raisman said. "And I'm not really exactly sure how it works, but I think that they were arguing about my full turn and not giving me the connection [points], so they replayed and realized that they should have given it to me."

Upon an inquiry, judges -- an apparatus supervisor and/or the Superior Jury (made up of FIG technical committee members) -- go to video review of the routine. The review, as we've seen this past week, can take up to a few minutes.

A FIG official confirmed that Raisman's inquiry was accepted with her difficulty score being upgraded by one tenth of added connection points. That one tenth moved her into a tie for third place with Romania's Catalina Ponor. By gymnastics' tiebreaking rules, Raisman was immediately put into third place and Ponor fourth because Raisman's execution score was higher.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ics/index.html

ETA: The article above also addresses the inquiry system

An inquiry is a verbal challenge of the score of a gymnast's routine, valid only between the time the gymnast's final score is posted and before the end of the next gymnast's exercise. It must be confirmed in writing within four minutes of the verbal inquiry, according to the International Gymnastics Federation (FIG). It costs $300 cash to make the inquiry (but the fee is returned if the inquiry is upheld, kind of like challenges in the NFL or tennis).

In short, if the gymnast, coach or country sees a score they don't like, the coach can make an appeal. They must provide a reason -- like the gymnast wasn't given credit for a skill -- but any routine is subject to inquiry.
    The inquiry was introduced along with FIG's new scoring system following the 2004 Olympics, where judging disasters marred the men's all-around and high bar finals. (The inquiry replaced an appeals process, which had a far lower rate of overturning scores at the 2004 Olympics, at least) The FIG did away with the perfect 10 and redid its "code of points" system with the more complicated two-pronged approach. The benefits of the change included eliminating potential bias in judging, the FIG said in 2005. Video review was also introduced.

Jordyn Wieber's coach, John Geddert, kept a pre-filled-out written inquiry form with him during competition Tuesday.

"You don't have enough time to fill things out," Geddert said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I think so too someone said Raisman smiled when Sandra fell. I don't think it was because Sandra fell it was because she knew it was certain. Aliya commented that she didn't see GAbby as a threat to her gold to begin with... Apparently Aliya and Aly had a really cute moment thumbs up or something between them... After floor who wants to bet that won't be shown.

I love though Aliya's tough as nails hard nose competitor demeanor...
    There was a really sweet moment during uneven bars when He Kexin went over to congratulate Aliya after her performance. They hugged and were smiling at each other, and Aliya gave He Kexin a thumbs up sign (in reference, I assume, to He Kexin's performance) and said something to her. It is nice to see such respect between competitors. I honestly think the biggest is that NBC commentator.

Anyways, congrats to Deng Linlin, Aly Raisman, and all the medalists this week! some wonderful performances. and to Oksana Chusovitina and Iordan Iovtchev!
    Last edited by Bournekraatzfan; 08-08-2012 at 01:19 AM.

vCash
    I wish we would get to see more of those moments between Gymnasts and less of the crying and other stuff.

vCash
    Thank all of you. The article helped. I think it is a bummer to think you have to bronze and all of a sudden you don't. But then again if I am working my tail off to increase the difficulty then I want credit for that. And finally I applaud the judges for trying to come up with a fair system. If anything my tsk tsk tsk would be aimed at them for missing a component. But they are human after all. I don't know if judged sports can ever be truly fair. I think it would be nice if they made a mistake that both girls be awarded.

vCash
    Why is aly called adverb aly?

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flipforsynchro View Post
    Why is aly called adverb aly?
    Because of the repeated clip of her saying "I want this so badly."

Some people were impressed that she used an adverb instead of saying "I want this so bad," as most athletes do.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Because of the repeated clip of her saying "I want this so badly."

Some people were impressed that she used an adverb instead of saying "I want this so bad," as most athletes do.
    Oooooohhhhhh. Thank you for explaining

vCash
    Apparently the US men's team is a little tired

Resident Rude Brazilian
    vCash
    Finally got to watch the HB final and all I can say is:

What the heck is Zonderland's routine??!!!

vCash
    I finally got to watch beam and I can't believe it was even close between Raisman and Ponor - even accepting that Ponor had a D-score advantage, Raisman was so much more solid that she easily should have made it up on the E-score. Also, if it was the full-turn connection where they didn't give her credit, that was the wrong call originally, so I'm glad that there's a protest procedure in place, even if I hate that Ponor thought she had a medal then had it taken away from her.

Poor Gabby looked miserable. I hope that she can get past some of the nastiness in the media...it's unfortunate that someone who should be on top of the world is already getting torn down.

Just starting to watch floor and it doesn't surprise me to hear that Wieber has a stress fracture. She's reminded me a lot of Kim Zmeskal in 92 here and Kim gave a solid but unspectacular performance (compulsory beam notwithstanding) and was later revealed to be injured. I do wish Geddert had held off a little while before getting it out.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Mustafina won 2 bronze medals based on tie breakers. There were SO many ties and so many for the medals. At least 3 people in the women's events lost medals because of tie breakers. They need to change that rule. I suppose the amount of ties only reinforces their decision, though.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I don't know why they hate ties so much - I always used to like seeing more people medal.

vCash
    That was a nice moment between Aly and Aliya after Aliya's FX. Perhaps my two favorite gymnasts at these Games; they have impressed me more than anyone else.

vCash
    What happens if the execution and difficulty score are the same? Just hypothetically...

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    I misunderstood.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flipforsynchro View Post
    What happens if the execution and difficulty score are the same? Just hypothetically...
    That actually happened in Beijing on women's UB final when He Kexin and Nastia tied for 1st - their overall score, D score, and E scores were identical. The tiebreak then went to the panel B (Execution) judges,the lowest individual judge score for each gymnast was dropped and He Kexin won after tiebreak.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9094006AA8bjBw

The FIG got rid of that however, as it proved too complex for everyone. Now if gymnasts scores in EF are a tie overall and also in D and E scores, then the tie will stand, and both will medal.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/ketk/news...ed-medals.html
    Last edited by pollyanna; 08-08-2012 at 05:10 AM.

Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast