Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    ^ "Not Impressed: The Mckayla Maroney Story" ... Coming up next on Lifetime

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    ^ "Not Impressed: The Mckayla Maroney Story" ... Coming up next on Lifetime
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

vCash
    There's basically no way that "Fierce Five: A Lifetime Original Movie" isn't already in production, right? Except, in the lifetime version, one of them has a baby and leaves it in a trash can in the Olympic villiage (because this happens in all Lifetime movies).

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I love McKayla. She could be my child. I want her to have her own TV show. She doesn't need those other 4.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i think mckayla would be on an edgier network that allows cursing

if she doesnt show up to show an episode of drag race down the line i'll eat my hat
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post

I've always wondered how much elites pay their coaches. Do they really pay standard by the hour lesson rate? Is there a flat rate for the training?
    If it's like it is in skating, once they reach a certain level in the sport, they'd pay a flat rate for the year.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
    Finally got to watch the HB final and all I can say is:

What the heck is Zonderland's routine??!!!
    He and Fabian Hambuchen are both on high bar. I adore them. They're both exciting to watch re: their gymnastics; and Fabian, especially, has simply beautiful form on high bar. But Zonderland is

Of all the gymnastics events, men's highbar is actually my favorite.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Seriously, that facial expression now makes her silver medal finish so much more fun than if she had won gold.
    Ahhhhh, I still wish she could've won gold. Dammit.

And I know I can't have it both ways but is there any way the judging panel can realize they are about to tie two performers and then figure out a way to prevent themselves from doing it? Say, score Aly Raisman a hundredth of a point lower. I mean I feel there must be an automatic .2 deduction for just existing (see: mckayla's team vault score) so could they raise or lower that just slightly when they realize the performers score results in a tiebreak?
    Hm, I should take these suggestions straight to the FIG and IOC. Something tells me they will be won over by my astounding intellect and creativity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    If Aly didn't deserve to medal in the AA, then why do they need to reconfigure the tiebreakers? You can't have it both ways.
    Because she was overscored on bars and didn't deserve to be tied in the first place?

Thinking that tiebreakers shouldn't exist and that Raisman didn't deserve the bronze are not mutually exclusive in my mind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    And I know I can't have it both ways but is there any way the judging panel can realize they are about to tie two performers and then figure out a way to prevent themselves from doing it?
    I can't believe that I'm about to suggest that gymnastics follow boxing, which is known for bad judging decisions, but maybe a tiebreaker should be broken by having either the judges/head judge/whatever Nelli Kim's role is vote on which one should win the tiebreak, at least when it comes to individual events. At least that way the judges are making a conscious decision as opposed to what I consider to be some fairly random tiebreak rules.

For all-around, I feel like if it's tied, then leave it tied.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    Because she was overscored on bars and didn't deserve to be tied in the first place?

Thinking that tiebreakers shouldn't exist and that Raisman didn't deserve the bronze are not mutually exclusive in my mind.
    You are accepting that Aliya's scores are legitimate & correct but Aly's are too high & unearned...all this from exactly the same judges. Maybe the judges aren't as partisan as you are or they don't have the same criteria. I don't think Aly's type of gymnastics is beautiful but it can be powerful & exciting. Mustafina's pointed toes & extension can be beautiful (although when she crosses her ankles it looks awful) but beautiful is not enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I can't believe that I'm about to suggest that gymnastics follow boxing, which is known for bad judging decisions, but maybe a tiebreaker should be broken by having either the judges/head judge/whatever Nelli Kim's role is vote on which one should win the tiebreak, at least when it comes to individual events. At least that way the judges are making a conscious decision as opposed to what I consider to be some fairly random tiebreak rules.

For all-around, I feel like if it's tied, then leave it tied.
    How can they do that? When the judges judge different events and may not see every event.

vCash
    Scoring is so complex now ties will be fairly rare so they should just award two medals if there is a tie. It is ridiculous they didnt have tiebreakers back in the 80s when they could have used them, yet have them now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    At least that way the judges are making a conscious decision as opposed to what I consider to be some fairly random tiebreak rules.
    The better executed routine wins. Doesn't seem random to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Scoring is so complex now ties will be fairly rare so they should just award two medals if there is a tie.
    Weren't there five ties this Olympics alone? (Women's AA, FX and BB, Men's PH and FX.) There are only 12 individual events, that means there were ties in over 40% of them.

That isn't fairly rare- that's downright common.

Though I still think they should award 2 medals.

vCash
    That's how it is for individual scores, which I think is the right way to go. But the way they tiebreak AA score is nothing BUT random and just plain weird. The fact that not all four scores are considered when it comes to deciding an AA medal is just ???? and pretty wrong, IMHO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    There's basically no way that "Fierce Five: A Lifetime Original Movie" isn't already in production, right? Except, in the lifetime version, one of them has a baby and leaves it in a trash can in the Olympic villiage (because this happens in all Lifetime movies).
    Meredith Baxter Birney also needs to play one of the girl's in the closet alcoholic mother. Maybe it can be Jordyn's mom-her secret is out after Jordyn does not make the AA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    That's how it is for individual scores, which I think is the right way to go. But the way they tiebreak AA score is nothing BUT random and just plain weird. The fact that not all four scores are considered when it comes to deciding an AA medal is just ???? and pretty wrong, IMHO.
    The AA rule is puzzling indeed, I'd like to hear the reasoning for that. For consistency's sake they should go with combined E-scores (Musty would've won that, too).
    I don't really mind multiple silver or bronze medals, but multiple golds would be wrong, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzy View Post
    The better executed routine wins. Doesn't seem random to me.
    The AA tiebreak rule is very random IMO. Also, I'm mostly OK with using E-score as the tiebreak, but if gymnasts have the same D-score and E-scores, then the tiebreak rules get pretty random.

vCash
    Gabby is on the cover of People Magazine this upcoming week!

http://www.people.com/people/
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast