Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Personally, I think the decathletes and heptathletes are the track superheroes.

vCash
    If I won a gold medal, I'd be wearing T-shirts that said, "suck it, losers" with an American flag done in a Nike swish.

Very few Olympic athletes will be famous to even their own countrymen beyond the games; most of us will forget all but a few names. Everyone should enjoy their moment in the sun, and if you are the best in the world, then you've earned the right to wear a T-shirt proclaiming that fact, whether you're the favorite from the favored country or the underdog from a country no one's heard of.

One thing I cannot stand is mealy-mouthed modesty. I find a bit of earned arrogance attractive and less disingenuous than, ohhh, I'm just happy to represent my country, blah-blah.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    If I won a gold medal, I'd be wearing T-shirts that said, "suck it, losers" with an American flag done in a Nike swish.

Very few Olympic athletes will be famous to even their own countrymen beyond the games; most of us will forget all but a few names. Everyone should enjoy their moment in the sun, and if you are the best in the world, then you've earned the right to wear a T-shirt proclaiming that fact, whether you're the favorite from the favored country or the underdog from a country no one's heard of.

One thing I cannot stand is mealy-mouthed modesty. I find a bit of earned arrogance attractive and less disingenuous than, ohhh, I'm just happy to represent my country, blah-blah.

And with the way these Olympics are going, I'd wear one that says "Girls rule and boys drool."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    I don't think it is a male/female thing: I think it is a big, wealthy nation/ small, less wealthy nation thing. Imho Bolt doesn't just speak for his country but all of the smaller nations who don't have the wealth, training and advantages of the bigger countries. What would the medals list look like if there was a level playing field? I know people think Bolt is cocky and maybe they are right. But I think he is all about empowerment. In this way he is very much like Ali. And that is a good thing (as Martha Stewart would say.)
    While I do think many people hold female athletes to different standards, I agree that for a lot of people the issue with the shirts has to do with differential power and privilege. I expect athletes from the Global North to be conscious of that in the way they conduct themselves. I'm not that bothered by the shirts...I'm just not crazy about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    But I actually think that some of these athletes are being honest when they say that, and again, I think the differences in size, wealth, political climate, etc. of countries have a lot to do with how these athletes feel about their participation and victories in their respective sports. At the Euro Cup, when Salpingidis scored a goal for Greece in a game against Germany, instead of celebrating in a manner that drew attention to what he had just done (which would be fine, imo), he gently blew a kiss to the crowd. And in the press, he talked about how important it was to play for the people of the country, to lift their spirits.
    Last edited by Bournekraatzfan; 08-12-2012 at 05:30 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post

And with the way these Olympics are going, I'd wear one that says "Girls rule and boys drool."
    Imagine if some guy wore a shirt that said the opposite...he'd get ripped to shreds

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Personally, I think the decathletes and heptathletes are the track superheroes.
    Yes---or someone who competed in speed skating and then switched to a summer sport like cycling and then competed in that sport (both successfully enough to make their Olympic team.)

vCash
    What, there were other countries at the OOOOOs? Who knew! ; )

USA! USA!
    ~ Alison

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    Yes---or someone who competed in speed skating and then switched to a summer sport like cycling and then competed in that sport (both successfully enough to make their Olympic team.)
    And won medals in both, like Clara Hughes. IMHO she and the few others who have medalled in both Games are the greatest athletes.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I asked a bunch of guys at work which event they'd win a gold medal in and 2/3 of them said the 100 meters - they wanted to be the fastest man in the world. Wouldn't be what I'd pick but maybe there is something superhero about it to the guys.
    What does it say about the male gender when 2/3's of them want to be known for doing something for only ten seconds...and then it's all over with an explosive finish??
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I think I knew one of those guys....once.

poths---I've loved reading and learning from your posts. I think you are hard on Canada though as you ignore the silver and bronze medals. My understanding was that these programs take aim for the podium--not only the gold. And it would make sense to see progress in the winter sports first in Canada. It scares me to think that being polite is being too nice to win.

I think Bud Greenspan profiled Clara Hughes: If I have the right person in mind then ITA with you overedge. She is awesome.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789