Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    Yup. It's sorta like "well, I was juiced and this guy is even faster, so.... I'm just sayin..."
    Of course, no sooner did the pot call the kettle doped, then the kettle fired back with "you're just an attention whore".
    It's all very in a foot in mouth train wreck kind of way

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    The very 2nd paragraph was stupid ("ugly Americans"was coined in 1958) and mean (what does jones doping have to do with anything) why bother reading further?
    And wasn't the original Ugly American an unattractive/plain looking man living overseas who took the time to understand his local community's culture and needs and helped them develop the improvements they wanted?
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Carl Lewis has no credibility, but if it's true that Jamaica has a different testing policy than other countries, then that's a problem. Unfortunately, I don't think very many people have confidence that drug testing is really weeding out the dopers.

Quote Originally Posted by suep1963 View Post
    podium photo

No t-shirts on the podium
    I guess they just wore them on the field before the medal ceremony? Still not a good idea. I wasn't aware that this was part of Nike's broader "find your greatness" campaign, but I'm guessing I wasn't the only one, which is why it wasn't a good idea.

http://bottomline.nbcnews.com/_news/...low-shoes?lite

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    But why are those T-shirts a bad idea, yet it's ok for Usain Bolt to declare himself a living legend?

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    But why are those T-shirts a bad idea, yet it's ok for Usain Bolt to declare himself a living legend?
    Probably a question best answered in the "Cocky Jamaican" thread
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    Because those t-shirts are ugly and tacky. And because Bolt isn't as annoying as some of the soccer team.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flipforsynchro View Post
    Because those t-shirts are ugly and tacky. And because Bolt isn't as annoying as some of the soccer team.

I think it's a double-standard. If the shirt was worn by a male non-American, he would be lauded, but because American women wore them, they're derided. I see this as an American v. non-American issue and man v. women issue. I think it sucks because to me, both have the same sentiment.

ETA Sorry for the vehemence, but I hate the male/female double-standard.

vCash

I think it's a double-standard. If the shirt was worn by a male non-American, he would be lauded, but because American women wore them, they're derided. I see this as an American v. non-American issue and man v. women issue. I think it sucks because to me, both have the same sentiment.

At least Bolt is comical and I get a good out of his showboating. Plus I think he backs it up better, not that the soccer team is bad or anything. Btw I am an American, so I'm not saying this because I don't like Americans. I just don't really like our soccer team.
    No vehemence seen, I understand what you're saying.

vCash
    I would find it equally unappealing if LeBron James and the rest of the basketball team wore something like that. It is just tacky in the extreme.

Bolt, on the other hand, is amusing, and appears to have plenty of respect for his competitors and for other athletes.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash

I watched a very intense handball game the other day between two male European teams. I can guarantee you if the winning team of that game threw on t-shirts like that I´d have been just as turned off.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Can the USA adopt Bolt? I find his unfiltered arrogance hysterical. Reminiscent of a young Cassius clay.
    In some of his interviews I find him to be a cool guy and in others, he makes me go What I don't get is how so much attention is giving to the 100 metre sprint (over other events). Some dude can run really, really fast for ten seconds? I find it borderline embarrassing that someone could be proud of that. Table-tennis...trampoline...I see the skill in these events and how they use intelligence and skill to be a world-class athlete. But running really, really fast...for ten seconds??? It's almost sad...

(P.S. I know it takes skill and strength to be a worldclass sprinter, but it pales in comparision to SO many other events which get SO little attention...)
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    In some of his interviews I find him to be a cool guy and in others, he makes me go What I don't get is how so much attention is giving to the 100 metre sprint (over other events). Some dude can run really, really fast for ten seconds? I find it borderline embarrassing that someone could be proud of that. Table-tennis...trampoline...I see the skill in these events and how they use intelligence and skill to be a world-class athlete. But running really, really fast...for ten seconds??? It's almost sad...

(P.S. I know it takes skill and strength to be a worldclass sprinter, but it pales in comparision to SO many other events which get SO little attention...)
    But to run the fastest is a definitely mark of athleticism. The greatest game of football or the best trampoline routine...all that is subjective. If you ask different people, they might have differing opinions. But to run the 100m with the shortest time, well, there's nothing subjective about that.

The varying Olympic sports always astound me with the crazy things the human body can do if you train hard enough. But running the fastest, there's no question the sheer athleticism. That's why they call the person who holds that record "the fastest human in the world." Because s/he quite literally is.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    And wasn't the original Ugly American an unattractive/plain looking man living overseas who took the time to understand his local community's culture and needs and helped them develop the improvements they wanted?
    You might be right, but all I remember is this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056632/

Reading the description I'm thinking..well, nothing has changed much....

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    No. The original (in the book) was an ambassador who was the direct opposite of what you describe.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    But to run the fastest is a definitely mark of athleticism. The greatest game of football or the best trampoline routine...all that is subjective. If you ask different people, they might have differing opinions. But to run the 100m with the shortest time, well, there's nothing subjective about that.

The varying Olympic sports always astound me with the crazy things the human body can do if you train hard enough. But running the fastest, there's no question the sheer athleticism. That's why they call the person who holds that record "the fastest human in the world." Because s/he quite literally is.

yeah, but if the track is assisting the runners to achieve faster time, the old record holder might legitimately say, i did my work without the track's help.

i thought under some conditions (wind above a certain speed) the time wouldn't count toward a world record, because it was wind-aided, but i'm not track and field guru, so please feel free to correct me.

so what i'm trying to say is, there's nothing that's not contestable if someone wants to contest it. even the fastest man.
    Last edited by skfan; 08-11-2012 at 05:23 AM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    "The fastest" is over an arbitrary distance, though, and there could be plenty of debate over whether 50 or 100 or 83.723 or X is the appropriate distance, or whether it's all about the initial acceleration speed or maintaining that speed over time or some physical attribute, like the average time it takes for lactic acid to build, etc.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I don't think it is a male/female thing: I think it is a big, wealthy nation/ small, less wealthy nation thing. Imho Bolt doesn't just speak for his country but all of the smaller nations who don't have the wealth, training and advantages of the bigger countries. What would the medals list look like if there was a level playing field? I know people think Bolt is cocky and maybe they are right. But I think he is all about empowerment. In this way he is very much like Ali. And that is a good thing (as Martha Stewart would say.)

Resident Rude Brazilian
    vCash
    Wrong thread...
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

vCash
    I agree that it could be a big/wealthy nation vs. smaller nation thing that changes how many people view the celebrating. You wouldn't want to see Goliath putting on a t-shirt saying how great he was because he beat David. If it were the reverse people would not be as offended because the outcome wasn't expected. People do love the underdog... and charming people wherever they are from.

If any nation that is powerful in a certain sport were to put on shirts like that after a win, it would be taken poorly because it would seem like they came expecting to win, thereby not showing respect for their opponents.

vCash
    I asked a bunch of guys at work which event they'd win a gold medal in and 2/3 of them said the 100 meters - they wanted to be the fastest man in the world. Wouldn't be what I'd pick but maybe there is something superhero about it to the guys.
    Figure skating is hard.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast