Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 170
  1. #121
    Eh?
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Prepping for Sochi!
    Posts
    5,296
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20202
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    And now for a change of pace, Americans are criticizing Americans....specifically the US women's soccer team, who wore some rather un-humble T-shirts at their medal ceremony.

    http://blog.sfgate.com/olympics/2012...edal-t-shirts/
    Vile. The title of this thread definitely comes to mind.

  2. #122
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,717
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    And now for a change of pace, Americans are criticizing Americans....specifically the US women's soccer team, who wore some rather un-humble T-shirts at their medal ceremony.

    http://blog.sfgate.com/olympics/2012...edal-t-shirts/
    I actually prefer these to the Ralph Lauren outfits...

  3. #123
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,717
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    Mark my words--once he is too old for competitive swimming they will have him in the booth presenting/announcing: He has the most charm I've ever seen in any American male swimmer. He is golden and that extends beyond the medals.
    I agree. And he has a very nice speaking voice. but I don't want to think of his retirement just yet

  4. #124
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,189
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I posted a link to an article that I thought might be of interest. It was a topic I was not even aware of until I read the article.



    I did not. The comments about Levya are from the article. Here is the quote from McKay:
    I thought at first you had posted this article link in jest because it was clearly too absurd to be taken seriously. I didn't realize you actually found some truth in it.

    You shouldn't believe everything you read, honey.

    I think it's painfully obvious that the writer of this rubbish likes to over-exaggerate in order to create kontroversy.

    Amerikans

  5. #125
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    71
    Posts
    3,965
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    From the little I know about soccer, it's a dirty game. Early on, I saw an American stomp on the ankle/foot of Sinclair. Later an American dove into one of the Canadian women's knee, almost bending it backwards... () But as the game progressed, I saw Canadians do some nasty stuff as well. I just assumed everybody tries to do as much sh** as they can get away with...
    Incidental contact on both occasions. Players attempting to play the ball and one of them came out of it somewhat worse for wear. It happens to players on both teams and is accepted as such. Soccer is not necessarily "dirty", but it is a rough, demanding, physical contact sport. A perfect example of that occurred in extra time when Tancredi, I've heard she's nicknamed "Tank", flattened one of the USA players while tackling the ball from her. There was hard contact, but no whistle, no foul. Play went on because it was an accepted as part of the game by both teams (BTW, the USA & Canada are considered to be 2 of the more physical teams in the women's game, if not the 2 most physical).

    The beef against the non-call on Tankredi was she did something was a deliberate attempt to injure an opponent. It is at the same level as the nice young "Lady" from Colombia that was running down the field with Abby Wambach, turned and punched Abby in the face. The ref in that game missed it & play continued. After the game the event was reviewed and the Colombian player, essentially, was banned from the tournament. BTW, IMO, Ms Tankredi's yellow card for insulting the ref also could very well have been a red. As yet, nothing has happened to Ms Tankredi. We'll see if anything ever does.

    Sad that such an epic game has degenerated into finger-pointing and name calling. Especially since the finger pointing and name calling are not directed where they should be; not at the players on the other team, but at the officiating. I don't know who assigned this woman to the game, be it the IOC or FIFA. It is now obvious that she had no clue how competitive and aggressive these 2 teams are. Especially towards each other. She was in way over her head from the opening whistle.

    NJL

    ETA: I don't remember seeing the T-Shirts during the medal ceremony. They wore their team warm ups. As did all 3 teams. Canada's red being the most memorable. The T-Shirts were handed out and worn by some just after the game's ending & well before the medal ceremony. For some reason I thought of this thread and PeterG having apoplexy when I got a good look at them. I'm not offended. Just discouraged. These are at the same level as the "gold" jersey they wore at one WWC. They finished 3rd. The jerseys were then ridiculed as the "bronze" jersey. It seems that some lessons never sink in.....
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 08-10-2012 at 10:02 AM.

  6. #126

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Refusing to perform on demand
    Posts
    14,447
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1779
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilJLeonard View Post
    ETA: I don't remember seeing the T-Shirts during the medal ceremony. They wore their team warm ups. As did all 3 teams. Canada's red being the most memorable. The T-Shirts were handed out and worn by some just after the game's ending & well before the medal ceremony.
    I missed the ceremony, so that is good to hear. The T-shirts were a dumb idea, but at least they weren't on the podium.

    I don't follow women's soccer very closely, but from what I've read, both the US and Canadian teams are known for being highly physical, in contrast to the Japanese women who I guess are considered more of technicians. So it seems silly for either the US or the Canadian team (or their fans) to over the physical nature of the game.

    As for "ugly," I'm finding the attempts by some to discredit the US women's soccer gold medal to be . Sour grapes can be ugly, particularly when people refuse to get over it.
    Creating drama!

  7. #127
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16,839
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Did Tara obtain a degree from a prominent institution of higher education? I am not aware of that.

    Politeness was not the point, being articulate (and well-educated) was. Although Sasha was perfectly polite in the interview.
    I misunderstood your post then, I thought we were talking about poor sportsmanship, in addition to being articulate. Lipinski was notorious (as was her mother) for being with her expletives! And Sasha had a few iffy moments too.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I posted a link to an article that I thought might be of interest. It was a topic I was not even aware of until I read the article.

    I did not. The comments about Levya are from the article. Here is the quote from McKay:
    Allskate beat me to it, but you interpreted the article. You gave it an "ugly" twist.

  8. #128

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    out of the recliner at last
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,686
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4986
    podium photo

    No t-shirts on the podium
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

  9. #129
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    10,417
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I have no problem with the shirts. They won 3 consecutive golds- that is greatness. If they lost, Nike would have eaten the cost of the shirts, or donated them (for pretty much every major sporting event they print up shirts proclaiming both teams the winner- the loser's shirts get recycled or donated to charities that usually send them to Africa.)

    I just watched the podium ceremony. If they are wearing them, you can't see them. They look great in their track suits- and look awesome belting out the Star Spangled Banner.

    If they had worn them for the medal ceremony, they would have looked extremely tacky (who does a medal ceremony in a t-shirt?), but what they did do, put them on after the game, and then dress appropriately on the podium, I see no problem.

    I guess I don't see the need to be humble- as long as you show good sportsmanship (not sure that exists in soccer though- cannot believe that one girl stomping on someone else's face!) I mean Bolt is off proclaiming he is the greatest athlete to ever exist, Lolo Jones is tweeting how awesome her legs look in photos, I'm thinking a certain level of arrogance just exists in elite sports. You have to have pride in your performance to make it to the top. But you also need to be polite and shake your opponents hand.

  10. #130
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,877
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Can the USA adopt Bolt? I find his unfiltered arrogance hysterical. Reminiscent of a young Cassius clay.

  11. #131
    Reality TV's Bytch
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oblivion
    Posts
    1,815
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    What I find interesting is that the American women's soccer team is derided for wearing T-shirts proclaiming their greatness and yet a Jamaican male sprinter's proclamation that he is a living legend is lauded.

  12. #132

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Refusing to perform on demand
    Posts
    14,447
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1779
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Can the USA adopt Bolt? I find his unfiltered arrogance hysterical. Reminiscent of a young Cassius clay.
    That is what Tom Hammond (I think) said last night at the end of NBC's coverage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    What I find interesting is that the American women's soccer team is derided for wearing T-shirts proclaiming their greatness and yet a Jamaican male sprinter's proclamation that he is a living legend is lauded.
    But then he also said that Ashton Eaton is the world's best athlete. Bolt annoyed me in 2008 (celebrating before even crossing the line) but somehow I find him now. His showboating is genuinely funny and he does seem respectful of other athletes. I did read that he is in a feud with Carl Lewis - what is that all about?
    Creating drama!

  13. #133
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,877
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^ doping. Lewis is pro drug testing. Bolt is pissed the legend is raining on his parade. Blah blah blah

  14. #134
    Hey, Kool-Aid!
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    11,155
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1504
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    ^ doping. Lewis is pro drug testing. Bolt is pissed the legend is raining on his parade. Blah blah blah
    Same Lewis??
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2003...s.duncanmackay
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

  15. #135
    recovering Oly-holic
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the frozen, snowy north
    Posts
    1,237
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2042
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    ^ doping. Lewis is pro drug testing. Bolt is pissed the legend is raining on his parade. Blah blah blah
    Lewis is FOR drug testing now?? I guess it doesn't matter since he's no longer competing.

  16. #136
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    41,879
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    12373
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    ^ doping. Lewis is pro drug testing. Bolt is pissed the legend is raining on his parade. Blah blah blah
    Is that the same Carl Lewis who had positive drugs tests covered up by US athletics in the 1980s?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  17. #137

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,795
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1805
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    i'm trying to imagine mckayla's response to being presented with such a t-shirt
    Not impressed.

  18. #138
    Hey, Kool-Aid!
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    11,155
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1504
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    Lewis is FOR drug testing now?? I guess it doesn't matter since he's no longer competing.
    Yes because it no longer affects him. He admits he failed drug tests that should have kept him out of Seoul but because it was uttered after the three year period he keeps his medals and titles AND perhaps worst of all is some people clearly still think he's some great sporting legend. As a side note I think it's since come to light pretty much the whole final group of the 100m in Seoul were juiced. That whole Balco affair in the early 2000´s is one of the largest contributing factors to my total lack of interest in anything to do with track these days.

    They must have since changed the three year rule because just today some American Cyclist was stripped of his 2004 Athens gold medal for admitting a year ago on 60 minutes he was doped to his eyeballs
    http://www.ctvolympics.ca/cycling/ne...2004-gold.html
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

  19. #139
    recovering Oly-holic
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the frozen, snowy north
    Posts
    1,237
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2042
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    Yes because it no longer affects him. He admits he failed drug tests that should have kept him out of Seoul but because it was uttered after the three year period he keeps his medals and titles AND perhaps worst of all is some people clearly still think he's some great sporting legend. As a side note I think it's since come to light pretty much the whole final group of the 100m in Seoul were juiced. That whole Balco affair in the early 2000´s is one of the largest contributing factors to my total lack of interest in anything to do with track these days.

    They must have since changed the three year rule because just today some American Cyclist was stripped of his 2004 Athens gold medal for admitting a year ago on 60 minutes he was doped to his eyeballs
    http://www.ctvolympics.ca/cycling/ne...2004-gold.html
    When I watched track years ago, I'd wonder which ones were doping. Now I wonder which ones are clean (when I bother to watch it at all, that is).

  20. #140
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,717
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    ...
    I don't follow women's soccer very closely, but from what I've read, both the US and Canadian teams are known for being highly physical, in contrast to the Japanese women who I guess are considered more of technicians. So it seems silly for either the US or the Canadian team (or their fans) to over the physical nature of the game.

    ...
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilJLeonard View Post
    Incidental contact on both occasions. Players attempting to play the ball and one of them came out of it somewhat worse for wear. It happens to players on both teams and is accepted as such. Soccer is not necessarily "dirty", but it is a rough, demanding, physical contact sport.

    ...
    There's physical, and then there's excessive. IMO, a couple of players from both teams exhibited the behaviour that would be characterized by the latter adjective and these players should have been given automatic reds. I am referring to stamps on Carli Lloyd and Christine Sinclair. Neither were incidental contact--they weren't clean tackles or even careless or reckless play. IMO, they were deliberate, excessive, and could have resulted in injury. Unfortunately, players will sometimes try to injure star players (well, usually strikers) from the opposing team, so the ref has to be very vigilant. I think both Lloyd and Sinclair have a right to be upset.

    I hate this kind kind of play, and hope to see it disappear from the game. But I don't blame the teams in this case, as I didn't see a lot of players doing it. These are the actions of only a couple of players who should be disciplined.

    OTOH, I love Japan's technical style of play. They have a really beautiful way of moving the ball around and are creative in finding space. I really enjoy watching them and I hope the game moves in this direction.
    Last edited by Bournekraatzfan; 08-10-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •