Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    I was wondering why these would even sell to professionals. Don't boots have to be really broken in and comfortable to wear throughout the competition year? If you have multi-color boots, that only go with one skating outfit, I can't imagine the boots would be at all comfortable. If someone, say Alyssa, decided to wear these new colorful boots: she'd have one pair for short, one for long and how many for her exhibition/show programs? Not feasible IMHO.
    Exactly - I think they are for kids/teens who can skate tape or boot cover them for tests and comps. She said they were "affordable".

vCash
    I know several coaches whose skates are now in fun colors and patterns. DH's coach had pink suede Klingbeils and one ice dance coach had a pair made that look like Timberland work boots in brown and beige, very cute.

And yes, the dreaded OTB tight can hide a multitude of sins, including colorful boots. Good for Sasha, she is using her head here and moving into a good place. And she has researched the markets! Go, Sasha!
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Colored skates will be popular with the LTS crowd. They grow out of them so fast anyway!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Good for Sasha, she is using her head here and moving into a good place. And she has researched the markets! Go, Sasha!

vCash
    I only just watched this video - thanks for posting the link!

Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Nice to see her with something she loves. A little surprised that she's friends with Tara -- Tara has pretty much dropped out of sight, and I hadn't realized she was in New York.
    This article link from June 2012 was posted on FSU about the NYC Olympian social get-togethers of Tara Lipinski, Sasha Cohen, Sarah Hughes, Jeremy Bloom and Joey Cheek:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/19/sp...&smid=tw-share
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Well from the look of the skates on the video, they seem on the neutral side of being colorful-almost like a color accent on the skate. I think they might work!

She is much more articulate than she used to be, and she seems like such an adult now!! I am so glad she stopped trying to make it in Hollywood.

vCash
    You can tell she was so proud of herself talking all that finance!

vCash
    Man, I always liked her as a skater, with her porciline doll features, and as a personality. But this is a side of her I didn't know or expect!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000107465

Enjoy!

The strange thing about this video is when they talk about her skating career, playing skating music and showing...Sasha's red carpet appearances. What, couldn't find a tape of her performance?
    Thanks IceAlisa! It's always a real treat to read any updates on one of my all time fave skaters!

Sasha looks gorgeous as always and I'm happy for her that she's gone on to other interests in her life.

Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Wondering who would buy these skates other than professionals. I've never seen a competitive skater in anything but white or beige boots. It's already becoming a bone of contention with skaters and their coaches with skaters who want the colored blades. Also, it's not really anything new to have colored skates. They can already be made custom with other brands. I wish her the best though.
    Oksana/Pasha Grishuk wore skates dyed lavender or purple at the 1998 Winter Olympics:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXNmarKjyiY

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Oksana/Pasha Grishuk wore skates dyed lavender or purple at the 1998 Winter Olympics:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXNmarKjyiY
    Interesting but that is the exception rather than the rule. I am skeptical about anyone other than coaches wearing colors. Then there is a question of the quality. Are they going to be that great if they are affordable?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Interesting but that is the exception rather than the rule. I am skeptical about anyone other than coaches wearing colors. Then there is a question of the quality. Are they going to be that great if they are affordable?
    Well, I didn't say it was a rule-just pointing out that there has been a skater that wore skates other than white, beige, or black.

Younger kids may like some variety in colors. I'd stick to the basics myself.

vCash
    Glad to see Sasha happy.

I'm thinking that maybe some kind of interchangeable boot covers would have been more practical for the general skating population and the OTT fancy ones for more exclusive/eccentric customers. But, what do I know?

Definitely not suprised to see her designing since she designed many of her skating dresses.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    I would love to buy a pair of purple skates. Are those skates on the market? I ran an internet search and can't find them for sale or a website.

vCash
    You can get custom purple skates from any of the big-name makers like Klingbeil, SP-Teri and Harlick. I assume Riedell and Jackson will also color your skates, but if not, you can always use skate tape or dye to DIY.

As soon as I heard "Flatiron district" and saw the boots, I knew who the manufacturer was! They're Klingbeils - you can see The Chair in the background towards the end of the interview and the boots have the under-cut sole that is so distinctive to the skates' look.

Klingbeil has always made custom skates with texture, color and glitz, but this is a chance to promote the skates with a famous name as the "designer." Only experienced skaters (and fans) know the Klingbeil name, but it does represent quality and customer service. http://www.klingbeilskatingboots.com/ Many more people, including those looking for a status symbol, know the name "Sasha Cohen." (Although Sasha Baron Cohen has sort of diluted the name recognition.)

Wonder why the Klingbeil name was left out of the interview? The men shown are part of the Adoni Group, which brought Klingbeil into their fold earlier this year. Perhaps they're splitting out the stock Klingbeil boot line separate from the customs. I'm very curious about the pricing and the target market.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    You can get custom purple skates from any of the big-name makers like Klingbeil, SP-Teri and Harlick. I assume Riedell and Jackson will also color your skates, but if not, you can always use skate tape or dye to DIY.

As soon as I heard "Flatiron district" and saw the boots, I knew who the manufacturer was! They're Klingbeils - you can see The Chair in the background towards the end of the interview and the boots have the under-cut sole that is so distinctive to the skates' look.

Klingbeil has always made custom skates with texture, color and glitz, but this is a chance to promote the skates with a famous name as the "designer." Only experienced skaters (and fans) know the Klingbeil name, but it does represent quality and customer service. http://www.klingbeilskatingboots.com/ Many more people, including those looking for a status symbol, know the name "Sasha Cohen." (Although Sasha Baron Cohen has sort of diluted the name recognition.)

Wonder why the Klingbeil name was left out of the interview? The men shown are part of the Adoni Group, which brought Klingbeil into their fold earlier this year. Perhaps they're splitting out the stock Klingbeil boot line separate from the customs. I'm very curious about the pricing and the target market.
    I went to Klingbeil a few years ago when they were in Jamaica and they would not make purple skates for me. There was a special pair of skates for Sasha with lizard embossed white leather but they said that they didn't keep colored leather in stock and it seemed that only a top skater would have dibs on colored skates- then if there was leather left over they would make skates for a regular person. Same thing with SP Teri. I inquired at a seller in NYC (at Sky Rink) about colored skates (purple) and he gave me a hard time about getting beige skates. I'm not an advanced skater so maybe they prefer to sell stock intermediate skates that they only carry in white.

I never tried Harlick. I prefer SP Teri and Klingbeil was right in the area.

Edited to add that I went to their new site and see they have purple skates. Maybe they revised their stance on colored leather but I remember wanting those Pasha colored skates so badly and couldn't get them from SP Teri or Klingbeil.

vCash
    Geek help request: I can, using YouTube Downloader, download files, and burn them onto a DVD for my collection. YTD does not recognise this file format. Can anyone convert this, or point to an online service where one can do this? Thanks in advance.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post

This makes more sense. So the boots are really the "Sasha Cohen Line" of Klingbeils.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Thanks for that, IceAlisa! I've really enjoyed some of the interviews that Sasha has taken part in since her retirement from competitive skating. I found her interviews in her competitive days rather dull, but since then, she's opened up a lot more and in fact, has mentioned that she's now able to be a lot more candid and less careful about what she says in public. It makes her a lot more relatable and interesting as a person. Part of this is obviously due to growing up, but it's nice to get to know a bit more about her personality off-ice.

That headstand she did was pretty impressive...not that I would've expected anything less from her! It's nice to see her looking healthy (she always seemed just a little too thin when she was competing) and enjoying a bit more balance in life too. That diet she mentioned was super strict! It makes me wonder if other competitive skaters are similarly as strict with their food intake.
    Last edited by marysy; 09-09-2012 at 06:58 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marysy View Post
    Thanks for that, IceAlisa! I've really enjoyed some of the interviews that Sasha has taken part in since her retirement from competitive skating. I found her interviews in her competitive days rather dull, but since then, she's opened up a lot more and in fact, has mentioned that she's now able to be a lot more candid and less careful about what she says in public. It makes her a lot more relatable and interesting as a person. Part of this is obviously due to growing up, but it's nice to get to know a bit more about her personality off-ice.

That headstand she did was pretty impressive...not that I would've expected anything less from her! It's nice to see her looking healthy (she always seemed just a little too thin when she was competing) and enjoying a bit more balance in life too. That diet she mentioned was super strict! It makes me wonder if other competitive skaters are similarly as strict with their food intake.
    They are.

lick that cheese off the cheeto!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast