Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Yeah, I felt the same way after Gabby Douglas's interviews. For me, it falls under the umbrella of "keep your private stuff private".
    Same. You don't need to namecheck your deity.

Like allezfred, I never see athletes thanking god when they lose or "god made me fall". Maybe they should point to the ground when they bite it.

vCash
    Most Athletes when talking about God in relationship to sport, is more that God granted them gifts so the Glory goes to him. Also his wisdom made it worth the pain, pressure and no free time doable on a daily basis. So pretty much putting in the time and hard work made the dream possible but God's message made the time and hard work doable. He's their motivator. And Religious Gymnast do talk about God when something goes wrong. Every thing happens for a reason and time will show gods plan.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    if god exists, he/she needs to spend less time at sporting event and more time on something useful

is it only american athletes that obnoxiously have god on their side? i dont really hear it from athletes from other countries
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    is it only american athletes that obnoxiously have god on their side? i dont really hear it from athletes from other countries
    Sadly, no.

vCash
    So, if he falls flat on his face or gets struck by lightning then God has moved on to another sport?

vCash
    I actually heard it a lot from track athletes last night from other countries.

Poking fun of someone's religious beliefs is pretty low, even if you don't agree with them. I see some of the youtube comments called him a fag as well, how intolerant can some people get?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i dont care what his beliefs are but he should keep them to himself

although a lot of athletes who do thank god after a meet seem to have a god that sounds like santa claus who grants all their wishes
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    It's one thing to thank God for gifts, quite another to believe he's actually your coach with questions and answers and advise during training sessions. He's listening to himself and his own conscience.

But no harm no foul right. Whatever works no matter how strange.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    Pretty much how I feel on the subject. So long as people aren't using their religion to push hate speech, I don't care who people choose to thank or talk to as they train.

Whatever gets you through your day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    It's one thing to thank God for gifts, quite another to believe he's actually your coach with questions and answers and advise during training sessions. He's listening to himself and his own conscience.

So now his rights to be interviewed on CNN about his 'coach' are being trampled on? I bet if it were Michael Phelps talking about his coach you wouldn't have a problem with it?

Should he and his coaching techniques go back in the so called 'closet'? How about if you find yourself watching an interview that you don't particularly care for, you turn it off? You don't make fun of his religious beliefs, people don't call him a fag on youtube, and you don't advise that 'he should keep them [beliefs] to himself'

Medal no medal, it's his life.

FIN!

vCash
    please show me where the "right to go on CNN and talk about how you are coached by the voices in your head without anyone being meeeeeaaaannnnnn to you" is in the constitution.

Nobody's right to ANYTHING is being "trampled on" because the right to universal popularity doesn't exist. Neither does the freedom from criticism.

I don't care what people believe. They are welcome to it. But giving the intimate details of their relationship with their diety is just as unpleasant to me as having someone give the intimate details of their sex life in an interview. Whatever you do in private, good for you. But I am going to judge the hell out of you if you talk about it in public.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    So now his rights to be interviewed on CNN about his 'coach' are being trampled on? I bet if it were Michael Phelps talking about his coach you wouldn't have a problem with it?
    You are seriously comparing Michael Phelps talking about his coach Bob Bowman to Ryan Hall talking about god??? That is the same to you? I would say that Bob Bowman can be interviewed by CNN on his own power with his own words in front of the cameras in person, but if god did the same... now THAT would be REALLY newsworthy!

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy L View Post
    You are seriously comparing Michael Phelps talking about his coach Bob Bowman to Ryan Hall talking about god??? That is the same to you?
    It was Ryan Hall who said God was his coach, so apparently it's the same to him.

I appreciate his faith, but at the same time there are plenty of earthly beings who are working their best to help him run well. I hope he acknowledges them too.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    So now his rights to be interviewed on CNN about his 'coach' are being trampled on?
    His "right" to be interviewed on CNN? Do you understand the US Constitution at all?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    FIN!
    You heard it here first, Bowman really *is* a god. No wonder Michael won all those medals.

BTW, expressing an opinion and about someone's statements on CNN is a completely different thing than trampling on one's rights.

While I would never deny their right to do so, athletes attributing their performances to god is a real turnoff for me too.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    please show me where the "right to go on CNN and talk about how you are coached by the voices in your head without anyone being meeeeeaaaannnnnn to you" is in the constitution.

Nobody's right to ANYTHING is being "trampled on" because the right to universal popularity doesn't exist. Neither does the freedom from criticism.

I don't care what people believe. They are welcome to it. But giving the intimate details of their relationship with their diety is just as unpleasant to me as having someone give the intimate details of their sex life in an interview. Whatever you do in private, good for you. But I am going to judge the hell out of you if you talk about it in public.
    He has the right to talk about anything he wants in an interview; if his coach is Bob Bowman or God. They can make fun of him, which is mean and as immature as calling him a fag and that is their right, or they could just turn the interview off. Especially if they knew what it was about in the subject header. Or like you said, you can 'judge the hell out of him' even though it's unpleasant and intimate probably just to be combative instead of just turning it off.

vCash
    Please explain to me where anyone said he should not be allowed by the US government to do an interview on this topic?

If you don't want to read a thread full of people making comments on his interview or youtube comments about his interview, you don't have to read them. So your advice that people who don't appreciate this interview don't have to watch it is more than a little hypocritical. Sometimes people discuss things even though they don't like them. Because not all discussions have to be mutual agreement societies about puppies and rainbows.

I won't criticize someone for their private religious beliefs but, just like any other OPINION, as soon as you bring your beliefs into the public conversation, everyone gets to have a say.

vCash
    He has the right to talk about anything he wants in an interview; if his coach is Bob Bowman or God. They can make fun of him, which is mean and as immature as calling him a fag and that is their right, or they could just turn the interview off. Especially if they knew what it was about in the subject header. Or like you said, you can 'judge the hell out of him' even though it's unpleasant and intimate probably just to be combative instead of just turning it off.
    So according to you, we only get those choices? It will be nice if he does well in his event, because it's the Olympics and it's always nice to see people do well. But I have just as much right to question his coaching situation as he does to choose to train that way. Will he care about what I think? No. Does he even know that I exist? Very unlikely. If that makes me mean, then I'm mean. I NEVER ever said that I support anyone that calls him that word on youtube. They have the right I guess, and Ryan Hall detractors certainly didn't invent trolling, but I hate when people insinuate that homosexuality is negative or that it's something that is used as an insult. My comments are certainly not as mean as those comments, but I personally think it's annoying when people claim to know exactly what god thinks or god wants. And it's my right to say so. My rights have been trampled, YOU are being mean to ME.
    Last edited by Amy L; 08-06-2012 at 07:14 PM.

vCash
    What a freak! Thank you, that made my day! Sorry, but I can't be PC when Chick-Fil-a freaks like him make complete idiots of themselves on national TV!

vCash
    i dont care what his beliefs are but he should keep them to himself

although a lot of athletes who do thank god after a meet seem to have a god that sounds like santa claus who grants all their wishes
    No, I think he has the right to say whatever he wants but we have the right to respond however we want as well. Personally I'd like to see Ricky Gervais respond to him.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast