Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    And speaking of gymnastics endorsements, I was both turned off and also flumoxed by that male gymnast who kept going on about how he was there to give his family a better life. Would the male winner of a gymnastics gold medal get enough endorsements to really change his life? It seems like the most he could hope for was enough to pay for college and maybe put a downpayment on a house. I pretty much never see ads for male gymnasts in the mainstream media.

This was Orozco? When did he say this? Sounds like he put alot of pressure on himself (and was possibly doing this partly for the wrong reasons IMO)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    This was Orozco? When did he say this? Sounds like he put alot of pressure on himself (and was possibly doing this partly for the wrong reasons IMO)
    It was all over the fluff pieces they showed. I heard that and I thought "since when has a male gymnast winning gold ever hit it as big as a female gymnast who won an OGM, or any OM at all?" I don't even recall seeing Paul Hamm in any ads for anything, and I don't think it's because his OGM was "tainted" (I wasn't paying attention to the sport yet in 1984 - did our OGM men who decided to retire post-LA get any endorsements?). Even Vanessa Atler, whose biggest achievement was an AA co-National Championship and a couple of EF National Championships, got to be in a Reeses' Cups commercial.

Seems like the only male gymnasts who got any media exposure at all are the ones who got into doing TV commentary - Bart and Tim being the obvious examples, plus Peter Vidmar did commentary for the 2002 WC.

vCash
    And speaking of gymnastics endorsements, I was both turned off and also flumoxed by that male gymnast who kept going on about how he was there to give his family a better life. Would the male winner of a gymnastics gold medal get enough endorsements to really change his life? It seems like the most he could hope for was enough to pay for college and maybe put a downpayment on a house. I pretty much never see ads for male gymnasts in the mainstream media.
    Doesn't some of that depend on what kind of crappy life his family has? For some people enough money to go to college or make a downpayment on a house is life changing.

Maybe he doesn't mean to make them millionaires who can lead lives of leisure, but enough that they can be stable. Perhaps he wants to use the experience to give him a reputation that will allow him to start and run a successful gym- a business that can support his family. That would give someone a better life if they were barely (or not at all) making ends meet before.

As for Gabby vs Jordan, I think Gabby- she just shines. However, I think Missy Franklin will be the big "winner" of the endorsement Olympics (assuming she is willing to give up her high school eligibility)

vCash
    I think Gabby is much more marketable. Jordyn kind of reminds me of Carly Patterson as far as marketability. Did Carly do any endorsements after her OGM? I only remember her trying to be a singer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Maybe he doesn't mean to make them millionaires who can lead lives of leisure, but enough that they can be stable. Perhaps he wants to use the experience to give him a reputation that will allow him to start and run a successful gym- a business that can support his family. That would give someone a better life if they were barely (or not at all) making ends meet before.
    And was he really repeating that he wanted to give his parents a better life or was it the same interview that NBC aired several times? I honestly don't know.

Then again, since he started working when he was 14 and he gave his first paycheck to his parents to help pay the mortgage, I say we need to look at it from a different perspective. Being a successful athlete who manages to make a living by just being an athlete might be enough for him.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Even back when "Little Girls in Pretty Boxes" was written, post-Mary Lou, the agents admitted that an AA gold in gymnastics just wasn't worth as much as even an Olympic bronze in figure skating. It might have changed a little since the nineties, because one big issue was that "adult women consumers can't identify with a 4'9, 85lbs little girl" but there is still the issue when it comes to anything beyond being on cereal boxes--are you going to buy, say, clothes advertised by someone who's only a little bigger than a prepubescent boy?

I do think Gabby is more marketable than Jordyn, based on personality, and on the cold hard fact she'll be able to trade on the novelty factor (black American winning the women's AA medal). Which unfortunately kind of hides that she's the most "traditional" looking gymnast on there--very small and thin and young-looking. Not as bad as they used to be (the feature NBC did on the '96 team really showed how emaciated and stunted those girls were compared to the current team) but clearly tinier than her teammates.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    I actually don't find Gabby articulate at all, lol. Listen to the interviews she's given recently on NBC...she speaks so fast and just strings key words together. I literally heard her repeat herself within the same sentence; not kidding. I love the kid but I visibly cringe when I hear her interview sometimes because some of the stuff she says doesn't make sense, grammatically or otherwise.

It's nothing that can't be fixed, and she's definitely not afraid of the camera. I just wouldn't go so far as to put her on the "articulate" bandwagon just yet.
    ^^ This. I think she's a firecracker on the floor, but off the floor - reminds me of a scripted beauty queen. Get the lady a decent public speaking coach and she could do well giving speeches at church events when the limelight fades.

Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Lloyd Moritz, who as editor of “The Breakfast Bowl,” a blog dedicated solely to cereal,

The things the Internet has!
    I need to go find that blog. I worship cereal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    And was he really repeating that he wanted to give his parents a better life or was it the same interview that NBC aired several times? I honestly don't know.

Then again, since he started working when he was 14 and he gave his first paycheck to his parents to help pay the mortgage, I say we need to look at it from a different perspective. Being a successful athlete who manages to make a living by just being an athlete might be enough for him.
    Wow poor guy. I'm betting the Bronx isn't fond of him though.

vCash
    I just caught the end of a CNN story where someone was suggesting that Douglas could earn between 1 and 3 million dollars a year between now and 2016. I didn't catch their rationale for that figure however.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Even back when "Little Girls in Pretty Boxes" was written, post-Mary Lou, the agents admitted that an AA gold in gymnastics just wasn't worth as much as even an Olympic bronze in figure skating. It might have changed a little since the nineties, because one big issue was that "adult women consumers can't identify with a 4'9, 85lbs little girl" but there is still the issue when it comes to anything beyond being on cereal boxes--are you going to buy, say, clothes advertised by someone who's only a little bigger than a prepubescent boy?

I do think Gabby is more marketable than Jordyn, based on personality, and on the cold hard fact she'll be able to trade on the novelty factor (black American winning the women's AA medal). Which unfortunately kind of hides that she's the most "traditional" looking gymnast on there--very small and thin and young-looking. Not as bad as they used to be (the feature NBC did on the '96 team really showed how emaciated and stunted those girls were compared to the current team) but clearly tinier than her teammates.
    Why would Gabby, or any of these girls, necessarily be advertizing anything to adult women? Why wouldn't she be advertising to kids and teenagers? That's really the big market right now, anyways, I'm guessing adult women don't buy a ton of products because they are advertised by Justin Beiber, but I'd guess he makes plenty of endorsement money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1227 View Post
    I just caught the end of a CNN story where someone was suggesting that Douglas could earn between 1 and 3 million dollars a year between now and 2016. I didn't catch their rationale for that figure however.
    Are you sure that's what you heard? If so, I think that CNN was misquoting something. I had heard the estmate on Gabby's earning power being what manleywoman posted in her OP: $1-3 M over the next few years -- not per year.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    The landscape has changed A LOT since 1995. Figure skating isn't the powerhouse it used to be post Tonya/Nancy.

Shawn Johnson (Coca Cola, McDonalds, Nike, P&G) and Nastia Liukin (Visa, Adidas, AT&T, TIGI) have landed far more endorsements than figure skating silver medalist Sasha Cohen has following the Olympics(and in the lead up). As the above have proved, there is life beyond cereal boxes and clothes. You just have to have the right factors going in your favor.

vCash
    On the talk about Orozco - would he have gotten any money for being in The Fighter music video?

According to his wikipedia page, he has turned pro, so he won't be eligible for any college scholarships. But I'm guessing he'll go on the post-Olympic tour and get some money for that. Not sure if there is any kind of prize money in gymnastics? I hope he makes enough to make up for the loss of a scholarship.

ETA - his wiki page says that he was also on 3 episodes of Law & Order as a background actor, I wouldn't be surprised if he has aspirations in that direction and is hoping some degree of fame in gymnastics would help.
    Last edited by Erin; 08-06-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Gabby, hands down. I noticed her during the tryouts in San Jose and thought she was really cute and charming. But it was during her Olympic AA FX that her star quality came through. She is going to get more endorsements than she had ever dreamed of. She is adorable.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Orozco is adorable! He comes across as so sweet and down to earth in interviews. Such a contrast to Lleyva - both in looks and personality.
    Creating drama!

vCash
    But does Orozco have a lucky blanket? I can totally see an endorsement deal for a fabric softener.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    I think it's a bit of a shame that it basically comes down to this.

We're basically asking which 16 year old girl is worth more money Doesn't seem right to me.
    Really, though, it is like that all the time. Actress, model, skater. Some have that "star" quality, and some don't. And, whomever we (the public choose) is worth more.

Gabby's story is so compelling...that along with her smile, attitude, and skills all come together to "winner"

I was at a horse show this weekend. Two pony kids. One had a $350.000.00 pony (no I am not kidding) the other kid rides a pony worth about $10,000.00.
    Both of the girls rode beautifully, each winning in their respective divisions.

At the Grand Prix Final they gave an award for the "Best Child Rider". Both kids adorable. First kid, obviously wealthy. Second kid..........4 years ago her father was murdered (helping a troubled family member) her brother killed himself, another addicted to Oxycontin, and was just jailed. Boy, I would have given the award to the second kid. Despite all that, she comes and rides, learns, and can go in and do well.

But, the first one.....well....sells better. Better politicking. Better packaging.
    Kind of like skating.

If awards and marketing were simply on achievement, dedication and hard work....boy would it be a different world.

Not saying it is "fair" but it certainly is what it is.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Missy Franklin will be not be going for endorsements: she wants to retain her eligibility to swim in college.

This article about Missy also notes that Gabby has been signed by P and G along with Kelloggs:

http://todayinlondonblog.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/08/06/13144708-missy-franklin-amateur-status-still-the-plan-right-now?lite&__utma=14933801.113143786.1342783043.1344 281088.1344287466.52&__utmb=14933801.5.10.13442874 66&__utmc=14933801&__utmx=-&__utmz=14933801.1343854380.27.26.utmcsr=home.auto s.msn.com|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmctr =(not%20provided)|utmcct=/&__utmv=14933801.|8=Earned%20By=msnbc%7Ccover=1^12 =Landing%20Content=Mixed=1^13=Landing%20Hostname=w ww.nbcnews.com=1^30=Visit%20Type%20to%20Content=Ea rned%20to%20Mixed=1&__utmk=111779204
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Here's a shorter version of that link:

http://tinyurl.com/9bqgqn2

vCash
    It will be up to how well Gabby's agent can sell her compared to the other athlete agents. As for as the thread subject,I know I rather watch Gabby smiling on my TV than Jordan do the same. I do hate Jordan's coach so I do have some prejudges coming into this subject but I have a feeling that my opinion is shared by a lot of people.

Gabby just recently went pro so she doesn't have a lot of endorsements coming in but Gabby is like Shawn and Nastia in one and look at everything they got. Plus she's Afro American and the First woman of color to win an Olympic AA gold.

The whole Fabulous 5 will do well in the gymnastics circuit. Lectures, camps and paid to come to give signings and hand out medals at gyms kind of stuff. The ones that stay competing will do well in the endorsements that support gymnastics. I actually think they all will do as well as Carly did as AA champion. Or better if they can market themselves as a whole like the Mag 6/7 did.

And Bringing up Sasha? She didn't win the Olympics or worlds. Plus she was the Olympic&world medalist and the national champion after Michelle so her accomplishments looked less as they were happening than they do on hindsight. Michelle was still competitive and getting the endorsements for all of Sasha's competitive career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tarotx View Post
    It will be up to how well Gabby's agent can sell her compared to the other athlete agents. As for as the thread subject,I know I rather watch Gabby smiling on my TV than Jordan do the same. I do hate Jordan's coach so I do have some prejudges coming into this subject but I have a feeling that my opinion is shared by a lot of people.

Gabby just recently went pro so she doesn't have a lot of endorsements coming in but Gabby is like Shawn and Nastia in one and look at everything they got. Plus she's Afro American and the First woman of color to win an Olympic AA gold.

The whole Fabulous 5 will do well in the gymnastics circuit. Lectures, camps and paid to come to give signings and hand out medals at gyms kind of stuff. The ones that stay competing will do well in the endorsements that support gymnastics. I actually think they all will do as well as Carly did as AA champion. Or better if they can market themselves as a whole like the Mag 6/7 did.
    And Bringing up Sasha? She didn't win the Olympics or worlds. Plus she was the Olympic&world medalist and the national champion after Michelle so her accomplishments looked less as they were happening than they do on hindsight. Michelle was still competitive and getting the endorsements for all of Sasha's competitive career.
    It would be cool if they could invite some gymnasts from other countries for a few exhibitions. Like Aliya? Beth?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast