Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanna View Post
    Yeah. It's the extroverts's world; us introverts just live in it.
    Yin cannot exist without yang.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    USAG has a contract with Kellogs and they will apparently be sponsoring their post Olympic tour.
    Don't you mean Kellogs Olympic tour

vCash
    Good thing Jordyn already made enough to pay for college, at least.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    ^ I'm certain Jordan did quite well leading up to the Olympics, so money is probably not a concern.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I noticed Gabby right away the first day of watching the Olympics. And every time she's on-screen, I can't take my eyes off her. I was rooting for her to win the AA from about 15 min. into the coverage!

However, I also think Jordyn is very pretty. She has great skin and hair and beautiful eyes. But she doesn't have that dazzling personality that reaches out and grabs you. She has more of a quiet grace. I think she could do quite well for herself with endorsements though if her team plays it right -- they'd have to pick stuff that lets you get to know her and plays to her strengths.

I just hope every time she gets an endorsement that Gabby doesn't that people don't play the race card.

And speaking of gymnastics endorsements, I was both turned off and also flumoxed by that male gymnast who kept going on about how he was there to give his family a better life. Would the male winner of a gymnastics gold medal get enough endorsements to really change his life? It seems like the most he could hope for was enough to pay for college and maybe put a downpayment on a house. I pretty much never see ads for male gymnasts in the mainstream media.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    ^^That was John Orozco. I was wondering if that caused him to put too much pressure on himself, causing him to flop at these Games
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    I think it's also his parents that put a lot of pressure on him. I remember in this fluff piece they did on John, they showed how he got injured and thought about quitting the sport, but then his parents said, "We're not quitting on you, so you can't quit on us" or something like that.

vCash
    Um.... Duh. No offense to Jo but Gabby is going to be one of the most marketable period, gymnastics aside.

vCash
    Gabby---I only really pay attention to gymnastics during the Summer Olympics. When I saw the girls and then saw Gabby smile I thought she was adorable. I had no idea she would end up with the AA but I think sponsors will line up to have her endorsement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I noticed Gabby right away the first day of watching the Olympics. And every time she's on-screen, I can't take my eyes off her. I was rooting for her to win the AA from about 15 min. into the coverage!
    I agree. I watched the Olympic trials and I couldn't take my eyes off of her. She's a star. I think she would've been one even if she hadn't won AA, her winning only it so much bigger.
    Team Peeps!

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    Without question, Gabby is more marketable for all the reasons already given! Though if you ask me who the most marketable gymnast the US has produced in recent years, I would say Alicia Sacramone. If she had earned AA Olympic gold, her stock would have been off the charts. She has the dynamic power, aesthetic beauty, and charismatic personality that always captivates my attention. That's a pretty unstoppable combination!

vCash
    Alicia = presenter/gymnastics commentary?

vCash
    ASac really is a belter.

Quadless
    vCash
    Gabby all the way. In addition to all the qualities already mentioned, she's exceptionally poised and articulate for a 16-year old.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Hoping that Gabby gets a lot of endorsements: Gabby Douglas' mom filed for bankruptcy this year.

I am not a fan of this stuff getting reported (same goes for what's going on with Lochte's parents), but I hope that Gabby gets the deals that allows her and her family to be taken care of.

vCash
    I actually don't find Gabby articulate at all, lol. Listen to the interviews she's given recently on NBC...she speaks so fast and just strings key words together. I literally heard her repeat herself within the same sentence; not kidding. I love the kid but I visibly cringe when I hear her interview sometimes because some of the stuff she says doesn't make sense, grammatically or otherwise.

It's nothing that can't be fixed, and she's definitely not afraid of the camera. I just wouldn't go so far as to put her on the "articulate" bandwagon just yet.

Anyway, I agree with everyone else that Gabby was more likely to make money out of the two of them because she has a better human interest story and has a mega watt smile and is super bubbly. Not quite on the Shawn Johnson level but pretty close.

But Jo will be fine too...she thrives in a team environment; look how much more extroverted she was in TF's than any other competition I've seen her in. And since the team is what got her the gold, and they'll be doing media together for awhile, she'll do nicely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    That's interesting - Wheaties are always trying to get the winners of the Olympics on their box - with the WAG being a huge favourite!!! One of my US friends has collected the box for many years - many for athletes I couldn't even tell you from what sport""
    Gabby is not on the cover of Wheaties because the Wheaties brand is dead. There is talk about General Mills dropping the cereal all together.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46809807/Is_W...g_A_Slow_Death
    Last edited by Kidlaw77; 08-05-2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: ETA link

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidlaw77 View Post
    Gabby is not on the cover of Wheaties because the Wheaties brand is dead. There is talk about General Mills dropping the cereal all together.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46809807/Is_W...g_A_Slow_Death
    Lloyd Moritz, who as editor of “The Breakfast Bowl,” a blog dedicated solely to cereal,

The things the Internet has!

vCash
    I like Jordyn way more but Gabby has the bubbly perk that most people just eat right up

vCash
    Fwiw, Forbes or another money mag had a piece on Gabby's endorsement potential and said it wouldn't be as big as you'd think because since 2008, swimming ecilipsed gymnastics as the go to sport and swimming has another bubbly teen to use. They did say she'd likely make the 1-3 mil quoted above but that a charismatic swimmer could make closer to 5 mil.

They didn't compare Gabby to Jordan but IMO gabby has the bigger appeal for all the reasons already cited.
    Figure skating is hard.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast