Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I'm starting to think it will be next to impossible for Russia, Romania etc to compete with USA long term. Reason being they don't have the depth where they can afford to break gymnasts. And with this code/difficulty requires training for consistency leads to breaking.

My saddness is when the Soviets "dominated' they dominated with creative, beautiful gymnastics...Marta cares less about things like that.. This doesn't mean there aren't some great gymnasts Gabby and Maroney are truly special (and I enjoy Ross's cleaniness) but... I wish someone like Alexandrov was running the US program. Although then what can you do it starts when they are young.
    Every American could do an Amanar! That is just amazing. Russia has major problems with that vault. Huge problems. I don't think the Amanar should be devalued even though it might so I have read! If that vault keeps the US ahead it will keep it ahead. The Russians bar greatness is just comparable to US vault greatness. And US is better on beam as well but not that much than it is on vault.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Yes, because the Amanar is the quad of gymnastics....
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    There will be a triple twisting Yurchenko vault within two years by either McKayla Maroney or Simone Biles, so all this Amanar talk will die down soon enough. This was not a one year ordeal, it was the first of many looking at the junior crop, and I think we are on the brink of women's vault being taken to a level we haven't seen before.
    Last edited by Karpenko; 08-05-2012 at 05:00 AM.

vCash
    I can't wait until all the Yurchenkos get devalued.

I'm looking forward to seeing handsprings and Tsuk's again.

At least Chuso has kept other vaults alive.

vCash
    And then everyone will be doing TTY's...oh dear Lord. Just Say No; Save the Knees!

vCash
    Well I must admit I do far prefer the way mens vaults are valued. 0.4 difference from 2.5TY and 2TY and 0.4 from 2.5TY and Dragulescu. And they have two extra apparatuses to make up the difference.

For women I really don't see why there can't be a 0.4 difference between the Amanar and Double Yurchenko and then another 0.4 difference for a 1.5TY. Amanar still gives an advantage and likely would continue to be used if a gymnast can do it without putting so much pressure on gymnasts that are unable to do an amanar. At the same time those that have trouble doing a double twisting yurchenko can do a 1.5 twisting yurchenko instead.

The proposal is to drop the amanar to 6.3 value which would give a 0.5 difference which is better but if the men don't have such a difference then why do the women? Seems a bit crazy to me.

Though I do agree gymnasts doing something other than a yurchenko would be rather welcomed though I don't actually understand why they dropped gymnasts having to do two vaults.

Edit: A further problem is the seeming rewarding of greater execution simply because they pull off a more difficult vault.
    Last edited by gingercrush; 08-05-2012 at 05:24 AM.

vCash
    Interview with Olga Korbut

... just before the AA. Seems as drunk as ever

vCash
    Liang Chow on floor

Pretty cool.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    There will be a triple twisting Yurchenko vault within two years by either McKayla Maroney or Simone Biles, so all this Amanar talk will die down soon enough. This was not a one year ordeal, it was the first of many looking at the junior crop, and I think we are on the brink of women's vault being taken to a level we haven't seen before.
    Right and when these girls get super injured/break themselves? I know Kohei does it but that man is an adult.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Liang Chow on floor

Pretty cool.
    VERY cool. He doesn't look any different today, does he?

vCash
    I don't have an issue with the Amanar score, though it'd be good to see some other vaults also getting a similar d score. I think the leveling out of d scores across all the events has been good overall. I remember in 2008, Nastia had a mind blowing 7.7 start value on bars. While I was rooting for Nastia to win, I always thought it was kind of ridiculous that Shawn was doing the hardest skills in the world on beam, vault, and floor, and she was getting only a 7.0??, 6.5, and 6.3?? start values for those events.

Blergh
    vCash
    I agree. I was rooting for Nastia and beyond thrilled when she won. However, Shawn Johnson really was short-changed by the Code in 2008.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I'm happy that Gabby wants to continue.
    I hope that all proceeds as she wishes.

Some trustworthy people need to see that she/her mother get proper management/financial advice; so that they can make the best choices of the options that will open to them in the months ahead.

I would hate to see her become a "victim" of her success, in any way.

vCash
    Finally watched this. Needed a few days breaks after hearing of results. I agree with the medalists though all the amanars were overscored but especially Komova. Were bars scoring increased or did people just show better bars? Mustafina in particular looked way better than in qualification and team finals. I felt Douglas was slightly overscored on beam but her connections were spot on. Floor. Komova was great and probably deserved a slightly higher score.

Raisman is incredibly unlucky with the tie rules but I do feel Mustafina was the better gymnast on the day. I love that Izbasa and Deng Linlin round off the top six. Iordache being ninth is wrong. I hope she continues and has some great competition as what she has done at these olympics is no reflection on the gymnast she really is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    VERY cool. He doesn't look any different today, does he?
    He wears longer pants these days...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I'm happy that Gabby wants to continue.
    I hope that all proceeds as she wishes.

Some trustworthy people need to see that she/her mother get proper management/financial advice; so that they can make the best choices of the options that will open to them in the months ahead.

I would hate to see her become a "victim" of her success, in any way.
    I agree and also hope if it's true the mom is on some kind of assistance for disability, that she is now able to get off of it and maybe afford any physio or whatnot needed to help her. She looked like she was feeling great (at least during the Olympics as that is all we saw) so I hope that is the case. The only thing I did not like was when they interviewed the kind family housing and helping raise Gabby for FREE, the mom kind of made a face to Gabby and did not pay attention or even acknowledge them. I think she was having Gabby look at something (maybe gift or the medal, not sure), but it was not appropriate or mature. It was when the whole group was standing outside. I hope that this family will get some reimbursement from Gabby and mom (and maybe the dad can chip in for her care. Dad is in the military & hardly mentioned). It is nice to see there are some nice people out there willing to raise other people's teens. Good wishes all around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyskate View Post
    I agree and also hope if it's true the mom is on some kind of assistance for disability, that she is now able to get off of it and maybe afford any physio or whatnot needed to help her. She looked like she was feeling great (at least during the Olympics as that is all we saw) so I hope that is the case. The only thing I did not like was when they interviewed the kind family housing and helping raise Gabby for FREE, the mom kind of made a face to Gabby and did not pay attention or even acknowledge them. I think she was having Gabby look at something (maybe gift or the medal, not sure), but it was not appropriate or mature. It was when the whole group was standing outside. I hope that this family will get some reimbursement from Gabby and mom (and maybe the dad can chip in for her care. Dad is in the military & hardly mentioned). It is nice to see there are some nice people out there willing to raise other people's teens. Good wishes all around.
    This video was linked earlier in this thread -- http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/london-...7#.UBzCVKAnNCS -- but I wanted to link it again because it's an interview that shows Gabby's mother giving Missy - the woman who housed Gabby in Iowa - a lot of credit. I was pretty impressed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Interview with Olga Korbut

... just before the AA. Seems as drunk as ever
    I think Olga was nervous.

She hasn't been in the limelight for positive things lately.
    Her life in America has been pretty tough in spite of all the support people have given her.

She's had:
    1) A failed marriage
    2) Her son end up in jail
    3) Contract disputes over her exclusivity at various gyms.
    4) Shoplifiting incident over food

Nevertheless, people will always remember her as the perky Gold Medalist from Munich, taking away thunder from the Olympic champ, Ludmilla Tourischeva.

vCash
    McKayla Maroney has a great sense of humor. She posted this after she went to the pool and found it closed:

http://instagram.com/p/OMsVFpKieZ/

Quote Originally Posted by smileyskate View Post
    I hope that this family will get some reimbursement from Gabby and mom (and maybe the dad can chip in for her care. Dad is in the military & hardly mentioned).
    An article I read said that her father has been paying support and helping with Gabby's training expenses. It's probably not a huge amount given that he is in the military, but Gabby shouldn't need more now. She's going to have plenty of endorsements. Techinically, I'm sure it's Gabby's mother, rather than Gabby herself, who has incurred any debt from training, but Gabby certainly should be in a position to take care of that soon. It was very nice of the family to help out Gabby, not just financially, but as a source of family support. I definitely saw Gabby's mom giving the Iowa family credit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    McKayla Maroney has a great sense of humor. She posted this after she went to the pool and found it closed:

http://instagram.com/p/OMsVFpKieZ/
    Love it. Is McKayla going to continue competing?
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast