Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Izbasa may throw the Cheng she has been practicing if Maroney gives her an opening. She is the only one with enough difficulty to challenge if Maroney falls. I doubt she will go for it if Maroney lands both vaults cleanly, it wouldn't matter. Pena has the D score but shouldn't have nearly good enough execution to challenge Maroney unless Maroney has a disaster. Maroney just has to land her vaults and have nothing flukish happen.
    Well, I certainly hope that Maroney vaults tomorrow like she did in TFs. There weren't enough words to describe how beautiful that vault was.

I'm nervous though, because this entire gymnastics competition has been anything but ordinary and we've seen a lot of uncharacteristic things happen in London.

If nothing else, I want to see Maroney win vault and Musty win bars. Her bars routine is just exquisite and unique. I love it.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Pena has the D score but shouldn't have nearly good enough execution to challenge Maroney unless Maroney has a disaster.
    Did she ever land her double front? She fell on it in qualifies, but it wasn't a scary-looking vault anymore. If she were to stand up on it, her score would go up a good deal, but I'm not sure how likely that is. Her double twisting Yurchenko has good execution (high 8's, even 8.9 or so), but it's a pretty low SV.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    She has landed it once or twice but it is always very very low and I think her bum always brushes the mat so she still incurs a lot of deductions. Even if she lands it I am sure she is incurring at least half a point in landing deductions alone. Maroney basically incurs .3 deductions on her vault (as evidenced in TF) and then up to .3 on the landing if she doesn't run off the mat. Maroney will score around 9.4 if she just does her usual vault. Not that you are arguing Maroney has to worry but the deductions for Pena's vault are significant, even if landed.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I will be keeping my fingers crossed for:

Vault

1. No point in hopes/wishes/whatever here as we all know who's going to win
    2. Sandra Izbașa /ROU/
    3. Oksana Chusovitina /GER/

Floor

1. Sandra Izbașa /ROU/
    2. Ksenia Afanasyeva /RUS/ (edited because I forgot how awesome her floor routine is)
    3. Vanessa Ferrari /ITA
    4. Jordyn Wieber /USA/

Uneven Bars

1. Komova/Musty /RUS/
    2. Komova/Musty /RUS/
    3. Beth Tweddle /GBR/
    4. Gabrielle Douglas /USA/ (she's amazing on the bars but she has two gold medals already so let's spread the wealth ^^)

Beam

1. Catalina Ponor /ROU/
    2. Viktoria Komova /RUS/
    3. Sui Lu/Deng Linlin/Ksenia Afanasyeva
    Ziggy, love your wishes/predictions. May they come true!

vCash
    Not that you are arguing Maroney has to worry but the deductions for Pena's vault are significant, even if landed.
    Thanks, I was thinking more about her as a silver medal spoiler. I found this video where she scores a 15.7, so it's not really out of the question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-16OsNoj-ts#t=01m26s

Maroney is so much better than the rest of the field, it would take a major screw-up to lose. And no one wants to see that in an Olympic final. At least, they'd better not
    http://www.newnownext.com/mckayla-ma..._type_180=2060

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I agree, Pena is indeed a silver medal spoiler and it will all come down to that first vault. The big question is whether the judges go extra harsh like they often do in EF. That could hurt her but I still think she has a shot. I would love for Chuso to get silver and Pena the bronze.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Black has trained Tsuk 1 1/2 on vault and I think there is a good chance she will throw it tomorrow.

From February 8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIetxHdFWiQ

ETA that would put her equal in D score with Chusovitina but she would likely need a couple of athletes to mess up to have a shot at a medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    They were not happy to lose. Coming in second is the worst place! So many people have said they couldn't look at their silver medals because it was "close, but no!" and that bronze medalist are much happier. Gold Medalists are happy, bronze is happy but silver means first loser. Olympic silver has prestige and means you won that medal but not that you won. You lost your event.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...s-silver_N.htm

Article with some studies about how people react to medals using the 2010 Winter Olympics. Lots of athletes are mentioned.
    Actually being 4th is far worse than silver. At least they get a medal.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    The oldest vault finalist in WAG was born in 1975, and the youngest in 1996. That's more than a 20 year difference - this must be a first. And they are teammates!

Berger is my pick for bronze if she can stay on her feet. And if not, heck it wasn't until her fifth Olympics that Chusovitina won her first Olympic vault medal, so there's still hope!

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I think Chusovitina is inspirational.

vCash
    I hope Oksana wins the bronze on vault. If she does she will have the full set. Gold in 1992, silver in 2008, bronze in 2012

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Hoping to see Jake Dalton win a medal in the FX finals tomorrow and I cannot wait to watch McKayla vault again. I'd also love to see Jordyn get a medal in FX but I'll be happy if she just ends her Olympics on a high note and does her FX even better than she did in the team final.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SwingDancer View Post
    PLEASE let Alexander Shatilov get a medal in the floor final!!!

So far Israel has not won a single medal in these games and a medal in gymnastics would be AMAZING!!!!!!
    Hear, hear!

And if Dalton could sneak in there somewhere, I might *plotz*.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Hear, hear!

And if Dalton could sneak in there somewhere, I might *plotz*.
    I'll be plotzing with you, LOL
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    I hope Aly wins floor because I like her as a person, I like her tumbling and I think she gets picked on too much and doesn't get enough credit for the things she does well. Plus it'll make some people's heads explode. Probably not the best reasons to wish for someone to win but I don't give a flying crap.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    I don't want Aly to win floor because this isn't tumbling.

Izbasa, Ponor, Afanasyeva, Wieber, Ferrari and Mustafina are all better performers and have better choreography.

I'm fine with her beating Mitchell though.

vCash
    o.o there are people here and do they have a point that Mustafina and Ponor have some serious ugly twisting and aren't nearly penalised for it as they should be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    o.o there are people here and do they have a point that Mustafina and Ponor have some serious ugly twisting and aren't nearly penalised for it as they should be.
    Some of those same people are rooting for Chuso to win a medal on vault. You can't tell me she's got great form.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post
    I don't want Aly to win floor because this isn't tumbling.

Izbasa, Ponor, Afanasyeva, Wieber, Ferrari and Mustafina are all better performers and have better choreography.

I'm fine with her beating Mitchell though.
    Well it's not a dance competition either so...
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    Well it's not a dance competition either so...
    Where did I mention dance?

Although, that's another thing they've got over her.

Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast