Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Well apparently in this case, you can ONLY get US online fs for FREE. You can't pay for it. You get it free if you have the right cable tv service and otherwise they won't take your money for it.
    Yeah, how crazy is it that so many people WANT to pay for streams, and nobody will let us? We are here, throwing money at the screen, and they just don't care.

So, what, we're meant to bully our cable operators every day to pick up US? What if they don't? Nobody really gives a shit about US, honestly. Are we meant to undergo the process of switching from cable to dish to watch a small handful of live events? Who can do that?

What if you don't even have cable, as is true for so many people right now? Yeah, it's back to hoping for a stream that doesn't lag whenever someone jumps. It's a step back, instead of capitalizing on a group of people who are more than happy to pay for what we want.

Forget about the ISU's decision to make skating more friendly to broadcasters with lyrics and garbage. Who's going to actually be able to watch skating by the time 2014/2015 rolls around?

vCash
    This is total bullshit!! Sorry for the language but for many of us we subscribed to the IceNetwork because it the only way to see the Grand Prix. Most of us don't have DirecTV or the Dish network and our cable companies don't carry US. Way to push the sport forward guys make it available to even less people.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Well apparently in this case, you can ONLY get US online fs for FREE. You can't pay for it. You get it free if you have the right cable tv service and otherwise they won't take your money for it.
    Free if you have the extra package you have to pay for through DirectTV. I have it and it's $15/month. I've been planning on dropping it and reinstating it for skating if I needed it, but just hadn't done so. I won't be surprised if they don't show skating at all. Eurosport did this last season when they bought the rights to Europeans and other events, but opted not to show anything or only parts of events.

And while I think IN should drop the price for everybody, I don't hold them responsible for not having the broadcast rights. They were sold to someone else.
    Last edited by rfisher; 08-03-2012 at 09:34 PM.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    That's not accurate. I am a current subscriber with auto-renewal and my email says I will be charged $40. So I don't know if some of you all are special but I am going by the email in my inbox saying what I will be charged.

And, since I'm not a USFSA member, as I'm sure many subscibers are not, their price doesn't help me.
    This is right. I'm not a USFS member either, just a fan. It's $40 for the rest of us.

Wow, not sure if it's worth it this time. That GP LIVE streaming was a big part of why I stuck with them. If they're not at least going to give us 4CCs & Worlds in addition to SA and Nationals I say it's a rip-off to not lower the price. If I want on-demand, there is YouTube, NBC broadcasts, etc.

Major disappointment.

vCash
    Oh don't worry IN will offer 4CC and Worlds right after Nationals for another 20 bucks to rip us off like last season.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    If I know someone who has DirecTV and they're willing to give me their information.... hmmmmm.....
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    My husband has been wanting to switch to DirecTV so we can get NFL Sunday Ticket. I guess this seals the deal.
    Creating drama!

vCash
    I wrote them back and told them to cancel my renewal:

Renew for $40? Yeah, right. It's bad enough that you cut coverage of 4CC and Worlds and made them an added extra feature. How can you call it a "season pass" when it only covers half of the season? While I realize that you have no control of the broadcast rights, watching an event seven days after it has taken place in the days of youtube and video file sharing is a JOKE. By the time your Grand Prix videos are up, other network coverage will be available for download and plastered all over youtube. The least you could do is lower your ridiculous price. Sorry to burst your bubble, but you are going to lose a lot of subscribers like me over this mediocre coverage. DO NOT renew my subscription. I'll be downloading the videos for free instead of shelling out $40 to you and I'll be watching them hours after they happen instead of a week later.
    Dissatisfied,
    "Triple Butz"

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I don't think IN is the right target. They are just doing what they can with the leftovers.

The right target is Universal Sports. All us figure skating fans need to stand in solidarity and demand our online coverage! Rah, rah, rah!

I know IN is going to lose a lot of subscribers from this. I really hope that doesn't kill their US coverage of regionals and sectionals. I really value that.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    I don't blame IN for losing the GP but to make people pay as much money as last season without most of the events is just plain wrong.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    My email from universal sports
    Dear Fans of Universal Sports,

With more than 30 different sports and 25 world championships, Universal Sports Network is your destination to watch your favorite Olympic sports and athletes year-round including exclusive and live event coverage of the Vuelta a España, Giro d’Italia, Diamond League track and field, Kona Ironman, Alpine Skiing World Cup and world marathon majors each year.

This Friday, July 27th, our website will become fully authenticated which is a necessary measure in our efforts to continue to provide, and expand upon, the world-class sports content you have come to expect from Universal Sports. Authentication, or verification, is the ability to login to our website using your current satellite or cable provider account to access live streaming content and online video on demand.

Effective Friday, all online live events and replays on demand will be available exclusively to DIRECTV, DISH and cable customers who have Universal Sports as part of their television package. Individual long-form events and sport packages will no longer be offered for sale online, but will be free to users who verify their subscriptions on our website. There is no additional charge for this service and a customer’s subscription will not be affected. As always, anyone who visits our website can enjoy video highlights, photos and breaking news for free without authentication.

HOW TO WATCH EVENTS ONLINE
    If you have Universal Sports as part of your television package and would like to watch an event online, all you need is to obtain a user name and password from your TV provider, and then follow a few simple steps to verify your account. The process is very similar to accessing live online coverage of the London Games through NBC’s Olympics Live Extra feature.

Go to UniversalSports.com
    Click the tab “Sign-In With Cable/Satellite Provider” at the top of the homepage
    Select your provider
    Enter the username and password that corresponds with your account
    Click “Log In”

If you are unable to receive our network, contact your TV provider (via 1-800-55-GET-US or www.IWantUniversalSports.com) and tell them you want Universal Sports in your channel lineup. We operate independently and are separate from NBC Sports and its parent Comcast, and therefore television distributors negotiate with Universal Sports as they would any other network. Your continued support helps the process and I can assure you that your voices are being heard.

Our team is fully committed to delivering world-class and compelling sports content to our viewers through multiple platforms, and we are working hard to sign up additional providers to ensure distribution of our exclusive Olympic, endurance and adventure sports coverage.

Thank you for your loyalty.

Sincerely,

David Sternberg
    CEO, Universal Sports Network
    Again, I won't be surprised if they opt not to show figure skating at all. Perhaps nbcsports will. Unfortunately, you need this as part of your cable or satellite package. (I have it, but don't remember if it's part of the same sports package as Universal sports or is just part of the overal package I have. It is on TV and not online and they wouldn't show full events if they showed skating.)
    Last edited by rfisher; 08-03-2012 at 11:05 PM.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I don't think IN is the right target. They are just doing what they can with the leftovers.

The right target is Universal Sports. All us figure skating fans need to stand in solidarity and demand our online coverage! Rah, rah, rah!

I know IN is going to lose a lot of subscribers from this. I really hope that doesn't kill their US coverage of regionals and sectionals. I really value that.
    I agree with this except for the bolded part. IN has been showing less coverage for more (or the same) for years and this is the limit in terms of what I can stand as a customer. If they had offered one of 4CC or Worlds as part of the package, or knocked off $10 I'd be okay. I can't blame them for not having the broadcast rights, but the bottom line is that their package has gone down in quality and they haven't adjusted the price or tried to make amends to customers another way. It's poor customer service and I think it will turn out to be a poor business decision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    I agree with this except for the bolded part. IN has been showing less coverage for more (or the same) for years
    Do you mean they started showing a lot of coverage and gradually decreased the amount that they showed? I don't think that's true. I think they started with just US qualifying events and gradually added some international and other events -- with a price increase or two along the way.

Of course, I'm primarily in it for the on-demand coverage of whole events. I rarely have time to stop everything I'm doing and watch live, but I don't want to be limited to only the few skaters that TV broadcasts deign to share with me.

And regionals are just as interesting to me as the Grand Prix. Many more hours of skating, albeit at lower skill levels, so for my purposes that's more for my money. I understand I'm in a minority there and there are not large amounts of money to be made by focusing on lower level events.

My biggest beef with IceNetwork was when they increased the bandwidth necessary to get the streaming to work. I had to change my internet provider to get my money's worth from the subscription.

vCash
    My issue with IN is not that they don't have the broadcast rights. This is not their fault. I would happily pay $20 to see Lake Placid, SA, and Nationals. My problem is that they want me to pay the same price this year as I paid last year when they had the entire GP series, 6 more events, live and On Demand within ~12 hours. Rather than taking the customer friendly approach and explaining that they were not going to have the GP but they would have the other events along with SA and saying that they hoped we'd stick with them for all of their other excellent coverage and lowering the price, they decided to burry the fact that they don't have the GP within the email and charge us the same price as always.

As someone who has paid for IN every year it has existed, I am entirely offended by this.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    it figures that the only GP they can show live is the only one I can't watch online anyway (because I'll be there )

And ITA with those who aren't miffed about not being able to show the rest of the GP as much as maintaining the same price for less access. And adding 4CC and Worlds as separately priced events? Hell no. I know this was not always the case - was this year the first time they did that?

I guess IN is being forced through losing the GP rights to focus in on USFS members as their target audience. it's really too bad.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    My husband has been wanting to switch to DirecTV so we can get NFL Sunday Ticket. I guess this seals the deal.
    My husband has been wanting to switch to DirectV as well, for reasons unexplained, but I just have an brand new excellent one of my own.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    NO one should get DirectTV or Dish or tell their Cable provider they want US. They are just using you! We should tell them no figure skating available online to anyone who pays a fee, then figure skating fans won't support you in anyway.

Right? Am I...right?

maybe not, but I am mad!
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    I agree with this except for the bolded part. IN has been showing less coverage for more (or the same) for years and this is the limit in terms of what I can stand as a customer. If they had offered one of 4CC or Worlds as part of the package, or knocked off $10 I'd be okay. I can't blame them for not having the broadcast rights, but the bottom line is that their package has gone down in quality and they haven't adjusted the price or tried to make amends to customers another way. It's poor customer service and I think it will turn out to be a poor business decision.
    Yeah you're right about that. You may not be able to get something for nothing, but with IN this season, you can get nothing for something...

They are going to lose big with this, and its just going to end up cutting down our options even more.

Universal Sports deserves to burn in hell!

vCash
    If I want to see skating...it's IN, or the kindness of friends, elsewhere.
    I tried for years to get Bright House to carry Universal Sports.

IN is still a bargain, when compared to the cost of attending competitions; since I can only attend a few of them.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    So how long is Universal Sports going to survive? This sounds like a desperation move on their part. Can we hope that they won't survive more than a year or two into the next Oly cycle, and then IN can get the coverage back?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast