Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

vCash

IceNetwork season renewal notice :-(

Just got an email. Basically, the good news is we get Lake Placid JGP live. The bad news? No GP events aside from Skate America until on demand a week later.

Presumably Universal Sports got the live online rights for the rest of the GP. Which would be ok, if they hadn't instituted a new policy where full events online are ONLY available to their TV channel subscribers. Which of course isn't an option to anyone not on DirecTV or Dish Network. No more PPV option.

Suffice it to say I'm ticked off. It looks like many of us will be waiting to see the GP next fall.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Universal Sports does not let you just sign up for online access?

My first thought is to organize a mob to burn them down, but perhaps if enough people let them know they would like that option, they will allow it.

What is the reason? Are they trying to get people to demand that their cable provider include US?

I swore not to swear here but this is making it hard.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    US did provide online-only viewing, for a subscriber fee (there was an inexpensive pass for all GP events, then passes for 4CC [though not in 2011] and Worlds) for the last several years. It was the option I used, as it was more cost-effective than IN for the events I was most interested in catching live. This year, with their new exclusive arrangement with Dish and Direct, access is barred to those not on either service.

This is what their website now says:

On July 27, 2012, our website became fully authenticated which is a necessary measure in our efforts to continue to provide, and expand upon, the world-class sports content you have come to expect from Universal Sports. All online live events and replays on demand are available exclusively to satellite and cable customers who have Universal Sports as part of their television package. Individual long-form events and sport packages are no longer offered for sale online, but will be free to users who verify their subscriptions on our website.

vCash
    I really don't see how IN has the balls to charge the same price for coverage when they won't be offering the one thing most people get IN for. I really want to cancel my subscription but I know that there will be things for SA and Nationals that I won't get to see if I don't have it. But $40 for SA, JGP LP, and Nationals being the only things with live coverage is just insane. When you basically cut 2/3 of your product, you can't charge the same price!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    wow, that sucks

what's the IN renewal price? Did it go down substantially? No way I'm renewing at the current price for only one live GP.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    No, it's still $40.

vCash
    ETA:

List of 2012-13 events on IceNetwork: http://web.icenetwork.com/events/schedule.jsp
    LIVE coverage should include 2013 US Nationals, 2012 Skate America, and JGP Lake Placid. The e-mail also mentions "live and on-demand coverage of the inaugural 2012 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic from Salt Lake City and the 2013 World Synchronized Skating Championships."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-03-2012 at 06:56 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    I really don't see how IN has the balls to charge the same price for coverage when they won't be offering the one thing most people get IN for.
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    what's the IN renewal price? Did it go down substantially? No way I'm renewing at the current price for only one live GP.
    It went down for USFS members. As far as I can tell it stayed the same for the general public.

The real question is who are "most people" who get Ice Network. Are the majority of their subscribers members of the federation, or fans?

For USFS members, the Grand Prix is not the one thing that most people get Ice Network for, although some do watch it there.

Even if the subscription base has been mostly federation members so far, if Ice Network wants to expand that base they would need to do so among the general public. Offering more (not fewer or later) international events for the same price, or the small additional fees for all of Worlds, etc., would be the way to bring in more subscribers who couldn't care less about events like U.S. regionals.

But then it becomes a question of what kinds of rights can they negotiate with the ISU or other outside rights holders.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    If you are a current subscriber with auto-renewal, it is only $20. This is the same deal they are offering to USFS members.

I'm a USFS member, so I got the e-mail about it from USFS last night. I wondered why IN was being so generous. Now after having gotten the IN e-mail, I know. They probably expect subscriptions will drop after they announce they won't have the GP series outside SA, and they probably will. But I will still subscribe, b/c 1) it's now cheaper , and 2) I want to see U.S. Nats live (and I'm not going to Omaha), plus Regionals and Sectionals, and Lake Placid.

But I assume this means that we also won't see 4CC and Worlds, since those are part of the ISU contract.

ETA: Sorry, I was wrong about the discount. I see Sylvia's post below.
    Last edited by Debbie S; 08-03-2012 at 06:44 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    No, it's still $40.
    Members of U.S. Figure Skating get a $20 discount.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    If you are a current subscriber with auto-renewal, it is only $20. This is the same deal they are offering to USFS members.

I'm a USFS member, so I got the e-mail about it from USFS last night. I wondered why IN was being so generous. Now after having gotten the IN e-mail, I know. They probably expect subscriptions will drop after they announce they won't have the GP series outside SA, and they probably will. But I will still subscribe, b/c 1) it's now cheaper , and 2) I want to see U.S. Nats live (and I'm not going to Omaha), plus Regionals and Sectionals, and Lake Placid.

But I assume this means that we also won't see 4CC and Worlds, since those are part of the ISU contract.
    That's not accurate. I am a current subscriber with auto-renewal and my email says I will be charged $40. So I don't know if some of you all are special but I am going by the email in my inbox saying what I will be charged.

And, since I'm not a USFSA member, as I'm sure many subscibers are not, their price doesn't help me.

vCash
    Yes, it seems you have to be a USFS member AND a 2011-12 Season Pass subscriber in order to receive the special $19.95 auto-renewal discount.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Never mind.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Seriously? I thought the days of trying to access a fuzzy online feed from China were over!!!! Way to set us back eight years!
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Anyone who wants to email Universal Sports and tell them you will pay for online only access may email info@universalsports.com

I know they won't care but still...

Tell them if they ban people who are not cable tv subscribers from online access, you will contact your local cable providers and demand that they NOT include Universal Sports! or something equally futile as that...
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    What are the networks in other countries that broadcast GP events? I know NHK, but what about the others?

My Comcast subscription offers certain international stations in separate packages. Hey, desperate times and all.

And both Comcast and FiOS in my area have told me they have no plans to carry US - I've contacted each of them a couple times.

vCash
    Then it's back to free streams. Not waiting a week to watch the GP. Thanks, but no thanks, IN.

This is such a monumental set back in terms of fan access.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Hmmmm...I wondered if I'd misread the email. I have universal sports, but was going to drop the package since I seldom watch the TV channel except for skating. I guess I'll keep it now. $40 is still way cheaper than a ticket to any of the events being shown, or travel. Or food. Or other expenses. Life isn't free.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    OH geez. I was wondering why they were offering it for $20; hadn't yet bothered to read the fine print. Wonder if the ISU/USFS/IN are getting cable providers barking at them? Because if I can't see this stuff on cable, I can't see it ANYWHERE (we do not get cable; too pricey for the small amount of TV we watch). Gotta love the line in their email that says "Enjoy all the premier events you've enjoyed in the past" and then tells you that, in fact, you will NOT see the big events! Grrrr. SPEEDY SMACKDOWN!!!!

I'm stymied as to why the on-demand is available ONLY 7 days post-event. That is truly odd. Fortunately, my credit card got stolen since last year and I have a new number so good luck auto-renewing, IN
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Hmmmm...I wondered if I'd misread the email. I have universal sports, but was going to drop the package since I seldom watch the TV channel except for skating. I guess I'll keep it now. $40 is still way cheaper than a ticket to any of the events being shown, or travel. Or food. Or other expenses. Life isn't free.
    Well apparently in this case, you can ONLY get US online fs for FREE. You can't pay for it. You get it free if you have the right cable tv service and otherwise they won't take your money for it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast