vCash

Your Local Olympic Coverage - Gold, Silver, Bronze or lead.

My local station gets a Gold. For the last 12 years our local station sends a team of reporters to the Olympics to cover the local athletes. They have a half-hour program every evening during the news hour just for local coverage of the Olympics. Some of stories get a bit lame, like the one about why there are no trash cans in central London, but for the most part my local station is serious about covering the Olympics.

vCash
    In Taiwan for digital channels, triple platinum!! EVERY single event is shown on 12 channels in dual languages live with a recap channel showing the highlights of events.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    In Taiwan for digital channels, triple platinum!! EVERY single event is shown on 12 channels in dual languages live with a recap channel showing the highlights of events.
    Very cool.

Resident Rude Brazilian
    vCash
    In Brazil...

non cable: 1 channel (Record) that I believe manages to do worse than NBC. Has exclusive rights and doesn't show much. Spends a good while of the day showing religious programming

cable: 4 HD channels from Sportv and 2 HD channels from ESPN. Not too bad.
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

vCash
    In Mexico

Cable TV offers 3 channels all day long with three different sports at once, full broadcast but with commercial breaks

Satellite TV, offers 6 channels with broadcast of complete events and re-runs the rest of the day, but the commentary is... well I am glad I have the opportunity to watch it on TV still

Public TV, 2 channels offering 16 hours with mixed sports, highlights

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Um, is coal an option?

vCash
    In Portugal, RTP tv station owns the exclusive rights to broadcast the OG. They show the events on several of their channels.
    RTP1 shows OG all night long.
    RTP2 shows the events straight from 10 AM. Re-broadcasts + recorded events after midnight.
    RTP I shows a bunch of events live all day long.
    RTP HD (exclusive for cable) - OG 24h/7
    RTP online - continuous updates (news, videos, reports...)

+ portuguese / english eurosport

I can't complain.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Um, is coal an option?
    I was thinking about coal. Have at it.

However, if you are in the US, please refer to your local station (not to NBC). What is you local station doing to promote the Olympics in your immediate area?

The posters so far have been referring to their countries. I don't know if they have local stations and national networks or how it works in their countries. Whatever it is it works for me.

vCash
    I can add to my previous post that RTP is a national network.

SIC is another national network in Portugal but they only broadcast some reports on the OG during the news programs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post

However, if you are in the US, please refer to your local station (not to NBC). What is you local station doing to promote the Olympics in your immediate area?
    WNYT 13, the NBC affiliate in Albany, NY does a show called "Olympic Zone" where they do updates on the local/regional athletes competing in the games. Examples: We had two guys competing in judo (their coach was an OSM in 1992); unfortunately they were both eliminated. They also did a story about a woman from Northern NY who was part of the first women's rowing team that won an OBM in 1976.

They also don't butt in with the late news when coverage goes a few minutes past midnight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    WNYT 13, the NBC affiliate in Albany, NY does a show called "Olympic Zone" where they do updates on the local/regional athletes competing in the games. Examples: We had two guys competing in judo (their coach was an OSM in 1992); unfortunately they were both eliminated. They also did a story about a woman from Northern NY who was part of the first women's rowing team that won an OBM in 1976.

They also don't butt in with the late news when coverage goes a few minutes past midnight.
    Ours is called "Olympic Zone" as well. It must be a sort of national/local idea. Sounds like WNYT gets a Gold.

vCash
    Philadelphia's NBC 10 also has an Olympic Zone show. At least some of their segments seem to be nationally shown, they had a feature on Aly Raisman's parents that a poster in NY tweeted about.

vCash
    As bad as NBC is at least it isn't CBS who has no On Demand programming so you can go back and watch certain events. NBC is hearing a lot of complaints about that pastiche of evening programs and little if any live feeds. Beyond that my complaint is that we don't see all of an event. I would have liked to see more than the American and Russian girls/women in gymnastics. I wanted to see Team Canada and they didn't show one gymnast that I know of...I detest that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post

The posters so far have been referring to their countries. I don't know if they have local stations and national networks or how it works in their countries. Whatever it is it works for me.
    My NBC station gets a participation certificate. They're taking a sport everyday and making a newscaster go out and beat some local la-ti-dah person. Yesterday, the sport was boxing. It was one of the youngish, tall, skinny dudes going up against Father Wilde, the President of Loyola University. He tells the sportscaster you go to hell if you punch a priest...and then preceeded to win a victory for Catholicism by walloping him with little sissy punches.

Tonight, he raced the Jefferson Parish shariff in what looked like a kiddie pool with makeshift lanes.

It's sort of like watching Czech ice dance.

They also have someone from the Oly Gymnastic 1996 team...in men's. Tonight, he talked about the food in the Atlanta Olympic Village. There were a lot of McDonald's.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Does anyone's local station send reporters to the Olympics to report on local concerns?

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    What's lower than coal?

vCash
    Louse poop?
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by suep1963 View Post
    Louse poop?
    That works.

To say MCTV Northern Ontario's coverage sucks, is actually being kind. Every other local news station, and I've checked them during the week, in Canada is leading off w/the Games at the start of the 6pm Supper Hour Cast. The only exceptions have been when something very big locally is going on, which of course, is exactly the right thing to do. However, the Games in London aren't even the lead stories of the Sportscast.

But...*But*...The capper for me was a couple of days ago when Canada had our three Bronze medals in the space of 90 minutes. Our lady weightlifter who won the Bronze? Turns out she's not only from Northeastern Ontario, *but* is from Elliott Lake.

I'm sure everyone's read what I have in my location space, as the Mall Collapse really hit that little town *hard* and also hit close to home as a Cousin of mine I'm close to lost a good friend that day. Now...Don't you think that news would warrent being the Lead Story on the news cast? Or even a reporter sent on up there to see how such an uplifting event has helped the Town to have some happy news for the first time in weeks to talk about?

No and No.

In fact, all that was mentioned was that she'd added to Canada's tally. That was it and that was all. I learned about where her hometown/area was thanks to the feature CTV did on her during Olympic Primetime that night.

I don't watch our local news anymore, unless we're having Supper on the rare occasions we don't eat between 4 and 5 and I have no choice, due to just how bad it's gotten. That happened Wednesday night and how I found out just how wretched they've been covering the Games.

The reason I found out about MCTV not covering a Northeastern Ontario medal winner, she lives in BC now, but she was born and raised in NEO, was due to a family friend bopping in yesterday and asking me why on earth MCTV didn't tell us anything about her? She found out that news the same way I did and couldn't understand why nothing was said about it.

She's not the only one.

When I remember just how good MCTV used to be and what it's become now? Beyond sad. Basically all it truly is now, is a Finishing School for Broadcast Journalists. The only ones who stick around now, are ones w/Family in the area. I've lost count how many former MCTV on air anchors or reporters I've seen in other places the last three years.

As I said, it's beyond sad.

vCash
    What's lowest and lower and lower again?

Australia (free-to-air).

When I heard that Channel 9 had it for FTA, I was thrilled. All right! Now with the switch to digital, they have four channels; I was hoping that they could show Olympics on at least three, and we could, for once, get a variety of sports.

Nope.

Two channels - mirror broadcasting each other. A mish-mash of sports, as though a five-year-old on red cordial has the remote. But mostly swimming, previews of swimming, fluff about swimming, analysis of swimming, oh my god. And the basketball. We hardly see any of the minor sports, maybe for five seconds while an Australian goes. It's just crazy.

I was also hoping that, during the day, they would replay the coverage in full. Nope. Instead, just a two-hour highlights package mostly involving the Australian commentators analysing why our swimmers have been rubbish this year.

This is crazy! I never thought I'd say it, but PLEASE GIVE IT BACK TO CHANNEL SEVEN!

vCash
    Free-to-air is 23 hours per day and does two highlight packages and coverage of most events with live coverage of events where we have a real chance to medal. Its also live streaming on the internet.

Our satellite service offers five standard channels also available in HD and a news channel. Means you need to get the sport package which costs $25 a month. I don't normally subscribe to it cause the sport coverage is awful and covers rugby etc which I don't normally watch. You can also get an additional three Olympic channels but that requires purchasing a HD ticket which is a waste of time as I don't have a HD TV and there is no way I can watch eight channels anyway.

I have a DVR system which is pretty much recording two Olympic channels when there is coverage and fortunately I can record delayed coverage of many events as well. Does mean I'm normally continuously behind. Found winter olympics way easier as the time zone was just four hours ahead (21 hours behind NZT) and meant I could record two sports and watch a third live.