Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    It really sucks for aly to lose the tiebreaker but
    honestly I'd give it to Aliya too just based on her bars alone. That was a stunning routine.
    Honestly, I felt Aly was overscored on bars quite a bit.

She was far better in prelims and got a lower score there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post

My dad just claimed Mustafina "was the best gymnast here." I think in DadSpeak that means: she has the most unique features, and I remember seeing her once before. More quotes: "You can't beat those Russians. They're just better. The Russkies are just better at gym. It's all that Communism." I'm waiting for my mom to backhand him, but she's ignoring instead.
    That's more insightful than my family. The only comment my family has made to me (whenever they would come out of the room from watching their Angels game) was in response to Beth Tweddle on floor during qualifying - "I don't mean to sound rude, but she has a striking resemblance to a beaver."

Over the moon with this Olympics. I thank the gym gods forever for this and for Nastia 4 years ago. Thank you thank you thank you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post
    This gives Komova (and Musty) incentive to dominate next quad.

If they can stay injury free and not lose training time, they'll be favorites for AA.

Komova should work hard to get her twisting form back to how it was in 2010. That way she'd be even further ahead.
    Bob Costas made a good point about the remoteness of that. All of the American squads and Russian squads (except Afanseyva) are different from Beijing. All these people's Olympic careers are probably over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Stupid IOC. Both Aly and Aliya should've gotten medals.
    I would be totally fine with it if tiebreakers were used in every sport, every time. But there was a tie in Judo--JUDO--yesterdayish, so obviously, this is not a hard and fast rule. It's especially heinous in a sport like gymnastics where you get one shot at the Olympics. OTOH, rules is rules. You know 'em going in.

I was spoiled for this event, and I'm much less than I thought it would be. I'd rather see Mustafinia on the podium, just because I like to see choreography rewarded.

"Rowdy always has a comment. You know that Andrea" LINE of the Olympics.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    OK, ever since I read the story about swimmers admitting to peeing in the pool, I really get when I see swimmers spitting out water at the end of their races.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    She got a 15.3 in the team final so it probably seemed like a good idea to leave it out when she had gotten that score for the watered down version. And this one really did look the same as the 15.3 version.
    I was quite surprised when she scored only 15.1something instead of 15.3ish, seemed like it was very much the same.

Only thing I noticed was alys last split after she rebounded out of that double pike was nowhere near as good as her TF one.
    Good point. Judges must have seen little things like this that made the difference. Poor Aly.

My heart broke for Komova when I saw her crying when she learned she did not win. So tough for her to have that disappointment 2 years in a row. I hope she goes on to Rio, she is so talented, yet there is room for improvement. After sustaining injuries, she came a long way in a short time. And this makes me feel old, but I still clearly remember watching her mother win the AA in the very first Goodwill Games - 1986 in Moscow. Her mom beat defending World AA champions Shushunova and Omelianchik. [random]And the floor mat at those GWG was the ugliest in the history of the sport.[/random]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    "Rowdy always has a comment. You know that Andrea" LINE of the Olympics.
    I was at that.

Personally, I hope this is it and I say that as a fan. It seems like a fitting end.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    That's more insightful than my family. The only comment my family has made to me (whenever they would come out of the room from watching their Angels game) was in response to Beth Tweddle on floor during qualifying - "I don't mean to sound rude, but she has a striking resemblance to a beaver."

vCash
    It's going to be so hard for Aly to avoid dwelling on what if. Even avoiding the second lesser break (after a turn iirc?) would have done it. I dislike the tiebreaker too.

And add me to those shocked at Gabby's transformation this year. WTG. Can you imagine if there'd hadn't been so many injuries last year getting her on the World team? That seems to have made a major difference.

vCash
    Great AA podium! Congrats to all three medalists, and great job by Aly making it a much closer fight than a lot of people expected!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hirshey girl View Post
    OK, ever since I read the story about swimmers admitting to peeing in the pool, I really get when I see swimmers spitting out water at the end of their races.
    Well, they do say that the Romans (back in the good old, old days) used urine as mouthwash!
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

Zamboni Zombie
    vCash
    So considering how swimming has gone for my favs, except Nathan and Matt, at these Olympics, I assume Ryan and Michael will tie. For fourth.
    FORTH?

Is Tarasova there?
    Cigarettes are like squirrels. They are perfectly harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire. -- @ciggybuttz on Twitter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by suep1963 View Post
    Well, they do say that the Romans (back in the good old, old days) used urine as mouthwash!
    Ugh! On a purely superficial note, I'd like to take whoever designed the US podium warm-ups out back and give them a beating. How can they make such shapeless warm-ups for athletes? Gabby looked like she was being swallowed up by hers.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    When did the Russians' twisting form get so bad? Mustafina's is atrocious and even Komova's is visibly poor in real time. Can't believe this type of thing is tolerated in Russia of all places. Happy to see the scores reflect the deficiency.

vCash
    It really sucks for aly to lose the tiebreaker but
    honestly I'd give it to Aliya too just based on her bars alone. That was a stunning routine.
    But the tie breaker itself goes against the spirit of the all around competition. If Aliya had won the thing based on her bars score, I'd have had no problem with it. But they tied. And, as my angry friend on twitter said, "If you wanted to justify the tie breaker, you'd have to stop calling it the all-around. Three events is not all-around. It's a some-around."

Ah well. I'll go back to being pissed about Lochte. Or happy about Michael. Or amused that Ryan and Michael are excited to be tweeted by Lil' Wayne. Dudes, you know you're more famous than he is, right?

"Remarkably they've all had names that are so easy to remember." Al, WTF. What American Gymnasts have had difficult names to remember? That might be the DUMBEST THING YOU'VE EVER SAID!... probably not.

vCash
    Over the moon with this Olympics. I thank the gym gods forever for this and for Nastia 4 years ago. Thank you thank you thank you.
    Did you get in your "I told you so" over Gabby being the best AA Gymnast in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by london_calling View Post
    Personally, I hope this is it and I say that as a fan. It seems like a fitting end.
    Me too. I'm a huge Michael fan. And he just seems sure that this is the right time for him to be done and so just soaking it all in and enjoying his last moments. This is how I want him to go out. I don't want him to come straggling back in for a few mediocre performances just to get one more Olympics the way a lot of skaters have done in the past. I want him to go out on his own terms and in a fitting way. And this is it.

vCash
    Bu

"Remarkably they've all had names that are so easy to remember." Al, WTF. What American Gymnasts have had difficult names to remember? That might be the DUMBEST THING YOU'VE EVER SAID!... probably not.
    That wasn't Bob Costas? It seemed weird. Like it would be his job to name them all if it was going to be a list of american winners.

vCash
    Komova was FABULOUS! Her gymnastics really are beautiful to watch. But her tendency to give up has always made it hard for me to warm up to her.
    She did not give up at all in this competition. I hope that reputation goes away because after her vault I thought she was toast and she came back with her best bars, beam and floor.

She's amazing.

vCash

Totally agree with you, the results of the all around made my day.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    So the NBC affiliate I get happens to be from Boston and clearly the local affiliates are taking their lead from the main network with the local news having a DRAMATIC introduction of the women's AA and Aly's HEARTBREAK of a TIEBREAK. It was really overdone.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast