Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    But how do we know if they're a lesser gay unless magnolia tells us?
    You don't think she'd volunteer?

Think of what such a project would do for her research!
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    But how do we know if they're a lesser gay unless magnolia tells us?
    They are from Brazil, but not out as a greater gay.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I think this method makes a lot of sense, actually. The US and China are big and rich; no surprise that they win a lot of medals. They should. But winning a medal in Mongolia has to be a real accomplishment.

Of course, you would need to adjust for "number of people in said country who participate in sport at competitive level," as I think that makes a big difference, too (coughsoftballcough).
    I think we need a multivariate analysis that adjusts for known genetic predisposition for success in the respective sport. I'd like to get Theatregirl on this ASAP.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I'm sure it's purely coincidental, but I have to say I find it amusing that we always seem to have this discussion around the time the US has the most medals and things are quiet before then.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I'm sure it's purely coincidental, but I have to say I find it amusing that we always seem to have this discussion around the time the US has the most medals and things are quiet before then.
    Its a lot more amusing than your obsession with taking the USA down a notch.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Not summer :(
    vCash
    I'm not from the US.

I'd love to keep putting the daily numbers into my spreadsheet and updating daily, a la Fred, but the move is going to toast my internet connection until Tuesday. I *could* tether to my phone, but I'd hate to see what that would do to my phone bill!

I will update tonight if we haven't torn apart computers yet; otherwise, it'll be Tuesday at the earliest.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    I'm not from the US.
    Perhaps to make it easier for some you should change your location to:

Canada (an independent country for those of you who failed geography)

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    US States Medal Count
    (weighted ranking)

Rank State Score
    1. New York 18
    2. MARYLAND 10
    3. Ohio 9
    4. California 8
    Illinois 8
    5. Pennsylvania 7
    6. VIRGINIA 6
    7. New Jersy 5
    8. Florida 4
    Michigan 4
    9. Tennesee 3
    Arizona 3
    Texas 3
    Massachusetts 3
    Hawaii 3
    10. Rhode Island 2

If anyone would like to check my numbers, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    New York wins again

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    US States Medal Count
    (weighted ranking)

Rank State Score
    1. New York 18
    2. MARYLAND 10
    3. Ohio 9
    4. California 8
    Illinois 8
    5. Pennsylvania 7
    6. VIRGINIA 6
    7. New Jersy 5
    8. Florida 4
    Michigan 4
    9. Tennesee 3
    Arizona 3
    Texas 3
    Massachusetts 3
    Hawaii 3
    10. Rhode Island 2

If anyone would like to check my numbers, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Florida, Florida, Florida!!!!!
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Florida, Florida, Florida!!!!!
    I'm shocked at your state jingoism. All you Floridians care about is winning!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    I think we need a multivariate analysis that adjusts for known genetic predisposition for success in the respective sport. I'd like to get Theatregirl on this ASAP.
    Sounds good. I'd love to do some actual statistics.

I was thinking it might be fun to weight the medals by the cost of the medal instead of just a 3-2-1 point scale.

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    New York wins again
    We'd better have gotten Lochte. He was born in Rochester. In fact, we should break down City vs. Upstate

The University of Michigan definitely claims our many Olympians and Syracuse is also excited about them. In 2008, Jim Boeheim who was (and is) an assistant coach for USA men's basketball was presented with a giant cardboard medal by our mascot since coaches don't get medals.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I did the ranking by state of birth, for the single very important unimpeachable reason that it was easiest to find states of birth for the athletes.

If I had the facts I'd credit medals to every state that has a claim of any sort to the athlete! The more the merrier!

Also, I might have gotten tired of counting medals for teams before I got finished, and I might have gotten confused by the list I was looking at as to who won what medal briefly.

That said, the accuracy of this listing is absolutely guaranteed to be inaccurate...

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I'm shocked at your state jingoism. All you Floridians care about is winning!
    Winning, hurricanes and alligators. DisneyWorld is probably in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post

We'd better have gotten Lochte. He was born in Rochester. In fact, we should break down City vs. Upstate
    He lives about 23 miles from me and claims Florida. You don't get to claim him. I claim NY (but I'm not an Olympian) and I get to flip-flop. Because that's how I self-identify.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Eh?
    vCash
    21 Georgia 1 0 0 1
    21 Lithuania 1 0 0 1
    21 Venezuela 1 0 0 1
    25 Canada 0 2 5 7

So, Georgia, Lithuania and Venezuela have been more successful than Canada at the games thus far? Is that the gist of it?

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    I'm not from the US.

I'd love to keep putting the daily numbers into my spreadsheet and updating daily, a la Fred, but the move is going to toast my internet connection until Tuesday. I *could* tether to my phone, but I'd hate to see what that would do to my phone bill!

I will update tonight if we haven't torn apart computers yet; otherwise, it'll be Tuesday at the earliest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    Perhaps to make it easier for some you should change your location to:

Canada (an independent country for those of you who failed geography)
    Wasn't referring to who started the thread - just the general timing of when this discussion comes up.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Wasn't referring to who started the thread - just the general timing of when this discussion comes up.
    The discussion came up when you started the medal thread with that great big chip on your shoulder.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    What if the athlete moved for training? .
    I think you'd have to allocate the medal based on the relative number of years they lived in various states. So Gabby Douglas's medal would be 7/8 Virgina and 1/8 Iowa (actually I think she lived in TX for some time too, so we'd need more data to really allocate her medal).

Obviously each athleted would be required to fill out detailed data sheets with every location they've ever lived, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I think you'd have to allocate the medal based on the relative number of years they lived in various states. So Gabby Douglas's medal would be 7/8 Virgina and 1/8 Iowa (actually I think she lived in TX for some time too, so we'd need more data to really allocate her medal).

Obviously each athleted would be required to fill out detailed data sheets with every location they've ever lived, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind.
    Yeah, state of birth is no good. I know pretty much nothing about the state i was born in. Not much memory of my first 2 years. If i ever did something awesome, I don't think CT should get to claim me.

I'd give it to training state or permanent residence.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I figured Really started this thread in response to several days of posts on the subject in several threads.

Would you like to me to go back and find where it all began? Because I'm pretty sure that I could go back in, say, the swimming thread and find a discussion that started when the US didn't have the most medals. Or some others. Well, I'm not just pretty sure, I'm positive.

But I'm sure that's just coincidence, too.

3. Ohio 9
    Uh huh. That's right. Na na na na boo boo to California and Texas.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast