Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    I have backpacked by myself across North America six times now since the early 1990s and loved it. Last year I went to Moscow and London for 3 weeks and that was fantastic, too.

I would usually plan one or two things to see or do during the day, and perhaps take in a discounted show or a movie in the evening. There are a lot of bargains online if you plan ahead.

There is a fun in making a fairly loose sight-seeing itinerary, but also going where the day takes you if you desire (without upsetting others if you're traveling with a group).

I am a better traveler alone. In group situations, I'm usually too worried if the other people are enjoying themselves (because it is such a big financial commitment) to enjoy what I'm seeing or doing instead.

Most of my friends are put off by the idea of doing it basic and staying at youth hostels, but I love it. All I need is a bed, a locker, and a shower, and I'm set.

I would rather spend money on attractions and gifts, than expensive hotels that I'll only be in when I'm asleep. I did this once on a trip to Sydney and I was never there!

Good thread, by the way.

vCash
    I almost always vacation alone. I went to Europe years ago by myself and had a great time. Same with other places- mostly in the USA & Canada though. I have not tried vacationing in Asia alone, but I don't see a problem with that either.

I like the freedom of making spot decisions when I vacation alone, and I often get to meet interesting people.

vCash
    Thank you everyone, this has been enlightening

I'm the type that feels the need to read multiple sites and then plan a trip in great details (eg: what site to visit and for how long, what transport to take, what good restaurants are available in the site/attraction I will visit, what special event will be taking place etc etc), because I'm afraid of missing out and I feel somewhat insecure in a foreign place without a definite plan

I think I need to try the more laid back and more spontaneous approach of just planning a general outline and let things flow organically

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I almost always vacation alone. I went to Europe years ago by myself and had a great time. Same with other places- mostly in the USA & Canada though. I have not tried vacationing in Asia alone, but I don't see a problem with that either.
    You just have to be careful, depending on where you're going. I was reading up on Nepal on the Lonely Planet travel forum this week, and I learned that there have been a couple of incidents of solo hikers being murdered or went missing. Of course those are the extreme example, and most solo travellers do just fine. Just keep in mind where you're going and read up on it beforehand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    You just have to be careful, depending on where you're going. I was reading up on Nepal on the Lonely Planet travel forum this week, and I learned that there have been a couple of incidents of solo hikers being murdered or went missing. Of course those are the extreme example, and most solo travellers do just fine. Just keep in mind where you're going and read up on it beforehand.
    I always avoid isolated places. That's one limitation of vacationing alone. I always choose safe spots, but thanks for pointing that out.

vCash
    I've heard about those incidents in Nepal too. They are having trouble making any progress because locals don't want to talk to the police. Scary thing. Things happen everywhere, but in those cases the scenarios were similar and near the same area so it makes you wonder. You always have to be careful and listen to your gut and not do stupid things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    In many trips I may meet up, travel with, or stay with local friends, but for the most part I've traveled on my own. If I want to go, I plan it thoroughly, get up off my a**, and just go. No hesitation, no regrets.
    Good attitude. It's far to travel alone than to stay home just because, "I don't have anyone to go with!".

vCash
    A comment I make to some friends amuses them:
    I will into NYC for the day by myself (live in CT, easy day trip), but I will never go hiking in the woods by myself. I feel safer where there are people.

vCash
    I love traveling alone and meeting new people along the way. This December, just after Christmas, I'm going to Barcelona for the first time, for a week. Can't wait!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    If I can offer some advice, I have lived in Italy for many years. I am interested in art, cooking, photography (In addition to skating!) . Imo there is no country in Europe that offers such a varied and great variety of interesting places to see as Italy. If you are coming for the first time of course you would like to see the most popular places: Rome, Florence, Venice. But if you come again, there are so many not-so-famous places to see like Mantua, Padova, the Dolomites: in the mountains you can hike or bike or ski in the winter. These are all fabulous places. The Dolomites are unbelievably beautiful. There are always very interesting art exhibitions everywhere not just the normal museums but other travelling exhibitions of great artists, not necessarily Italian. Take it from me, the food is wonderful (it's really hard to have a bad meal in this country), the architecture and art are impressive: not only the churches but really even just wandering around a small city or town there are always outstanding examples of beautiful buildings. The Italians are friendly people. One suggestion for safety: do not go pub crawling, end up totally drunk and accept the offer of any male to accompany you home! Unfortunately Americans have bad reputation here, especially in places like Florence where there are US university courses. The students get totally shitfaced and disgrace themselves by vomiting on the street etc. The US regularly get very bad press for incidents of this kind. Then there is always the reckless girl who decides to go home with three guys she never saw before and ends up in an alley the worse for wear.
    However, this is just a matter of good sense. I cannot recommend this country more for any type of vacation, sea, mountains, art, sports whatever you want, Italy has it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    there have been a couple of incidents of solo hikers being murdered or went missing.
    I'm all for solo travel but hiking alone is the one thing I'd never do. Just think of the film 127 Hours I'm not even comfortable going with only one other person - if I fall and break my leg, I want there to be at least two other people in the group so that one can stay with me while the other goes off to get help.

If you're solo and want to go hiking, a lot of national parks (both in the US and elsewhere) offer guided group hikes that you can join. Maybe not as exciting but much, much safer.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    The flip side to taking holidays by yourself is making the mistake of mentioning to friends what a great time you had, and suddenly finding them wanting to invite themselves along next time.

I love my friends, but the reason I go alone is that it's too much work having to be on my A Game the entire time, when all I want to do is relax, and not feel pressured to explain in detail the history of this painting or that building, etc.

Sunglasses and an iPod tend to stop random people from asking me stuff (or for money), either.

vCash
    joeperryfan,

I tried to PM you, but your inbox must be full.

Thank you for starting this thread. Your post and the resulting conversation have inspired me to do something that I've been wanting to for a long time.

vCash
    If you don't want to spend time looking for a decent/affordable place to stay and avoid the hassle of booking your own flights and figuring out the public transportion system, wasting your time trying to find your way around, I say join a tour group. You get to meet people who enjoy travelling and learn from their past travel experiences. Food and hotel for the most part are very nice. The downside is most days you would have to get up early; need to leave by 0800 or sometimes earlier. Included meals aren't usually local if you're into trying local food, but there will be times when you are on your own for meals so that would be a good opportunity to try local food. Sometimes the days are rushed. But you do get to see a lot in a short period of time, something which is hard to do when you are on your own. The upside of travelling without a tour group is the freedom and you get more opportunity to interact with the locals. Sometimes getting lost makes travelling more interesting as long as you don't meet questionable people. It also gives you an excuse to talk to cute guys/gals
    Last edited by moebius; 08-18-2012 at 06:28 AM.

vCash
    anyone have a reco for a hotel in a safe, central location in Amsterdam, for a single female for around $100 euro/night?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    anyone have a reco for a hotel in a safe, central location in Amsterdam, for a single female for around $100 euro/night?
    We stayed at The Collector B&B. It was on a quiet street but not too far from the main stuff. The owner was really nice and helpful. Google it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234