Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    I agree about the hostelling idea too. I have met so many great people in hostels on travels. And you all have something in common because you are travelling.

If you are worried about eating meals on your own, just take a book.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    How about woofing? If I had the time to go on an extended holiday now, I think that is what I would do.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    If you would be open to staying at youth hostels (which people of all ages use) and pensiones, you will meet people who you can either go out for a meal or drinks with, or spend the day with seeing attractions or even spend a few days with.

I travelled Europe with a friend for a short while until I decided to go out on my own as she was kind of driving me crazy. (She had other people she could meet up with.) Once on my own, I met people in Switzerland, Italy, Greece, Ireland and England who I spent time with in all of the above situations. It's great because you meet people from all over the world, get to do things you might not do otherwise (or by yourself) and as soon as you tire of them, you're off to somewhere (or someone) new.

Have lots of fun! And report back to us.

Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    Let's see if I actually get to do it and don't chicken out as usual.
    ALWAYS REMEMBER: What would Joe Perry do? Why, kick ass and go for it!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Oh lordy, I travel by myself so often it doesn't even occur to me that it's something that you can do with another person.

Seriously, traveling alone is a great experience. Go for it!
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    How about woofing? If I had the time to go on an extended holiday now, I think that is what I would do.
    You mean working on organic farms? Or is woofing where you set a hound dog loose to track down a lesser gay?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Granted, I'm a 5'11" guy who can fend for myself, but I flew around the world by myself for 70 days last year, and have also visited all 50 U.S. states and 9 of 10 Canadian provinces. I can prove it - I've earned at least 400,000 lifetime miles on each of United, American, and Delta/Northwest (with the help of alliance airlines and elite status bonuses). In many trips I may meet up, travel with, or stay with local friends, but for the most part I've traveled on my own. If I want to go, I plan it thoroughly, get up off my a**, and just go. No hesitation, no regrets.

If you're female, traveling around Western Europe should be very easy because public transportation is so plentiful and gets you everywhere you want to go. People are generally helpful and (at least somewhat) conversant in English. Just be as street-smart and use common sense, just as you would walking on the street on your own anywhere in the U.S., if that's where you're from.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    and 9 of 10 Canadian provinces

Which is the shunned 10th?

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Newfoundland (and Labrador). That is definitely on the agenda because I have a soft spot in my heart for how they hosted American (and international) travelers during 9/11, so I want to visit Gander (and Gros Morne NP, of course) as a way of saying "thanks" by stimulating the local economy in my own minor way.

vCash
    Go for it. Some hostels offer private rooms, too - so you have the built-in social scene without having to share a huge 20-person dorm room. Or do a mix of hotel and hostel to get the best of both.

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    You mean working on organic farms? Or is woofing where you set a hound dog loose to track down a lesser gay?

vCash
    I traveled half away around the world by myself in my 20s, although a friend from home did join me for several months of that one-year jaunt. For the most part it was fine and suited my independent nature, although it could get lonely. The hard part was you need to put yourself out there to connect with other people, which I'm not always in the mood to do.

As others have pointed out, staying in youth hostels is a good way to meet people. And some places are more fun to be by yourself with others. I had a great time on my own in the Philippines because it was a such a lively culture and it was easy to meet people just wandering around the streets. Manila especially was a blast. I linked up with other travelers in the Philippines easily as well as locales. Filipinos would always approach me on the bus or boat, or at a street food stall, and ask to be my companion.

In general, I'd say warm climates and beach time environments are easy places to travel by oneself.

I'd still travel by myself - and without Mr. Japanfan - if I had the time and he did not, as I enjoy the freedom and ease of being on my own. And there are places I would like to go that he would not.

Basically, if there is a bar and a hot tub, I suddenly make acquaintances easily .

Traveling on one's own is an adventure in a way that traveling with a partner or friend is not. I would never let the fear of traveling alone be a reason not to travel. But of course, be sensible and aware of the dangers of traveling alone, particularly for females.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Nary a greater gay, a lesser gay, no, not even a less than lesser gay is hounded in woofing.

There are WWOOF organizations that offer info on farms that participate in this scheme.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    Hi,

I'm seriously considering taking a vacation by myself, I really need to take my mind away from work and it's been a long time since I've had a real vacation, my family stopped having them when I was in my teens and after that it never really happened (lack of money, company, you name it).

What are your experiences in this regard? Where in Europe would you go? What would you avoid?

Let's see if I actually get to do it and don't chicken out as usual.
    If you fancy a month or so travelling the east coast of Australia you could hook up with my daughter who will be setting off on her own shortly! I am a tad about her doing this alone but then again that's me with my anxious parent hat on She is currently in Wirrabara aiming for Melbourne/Sydney/Canberra/Brisbane/Whitsunday Island/Great Barrier Reef and lots of stops on the way

vCash
    I've been all over Europe alone and never really had any issues. Since the only person I can travel with and not kill is my sister, and she can't always go with me, I went alone quite a bit.

I noticed that some people said they didn't like the evenings, but what I would do is go find a nice cafe (I don't have problems eating alone) and write in my journal or write postcards. It's a nice way to wind down the day, especially if you've been moving all day.

I also like hostels and B&Bs; you can meet other solo travelers if you do want to eat dinner or do a day trip with someone else.

Go, and have fun.

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I noticed that some people said they didn't like the evenings, but what I would do is go find a nice cafe (I don't have problems eating alone) and write in my journal or write postcards. It's a nice way to wind down the day, especially if you've been moving all day.
    This is a great idea.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Back when I was in the US Army, I was stationed in Germany and would travel solo quite often. It was a wonderful experience.

My favorite spot to go by myself was Paris. There was something magical about seeing the city for the first time all by myself. It allowed me to really soak it all in and be completely spontaneous because I was not distracted by companions.

Amsterdam was another place that was just completely charming. Although I was there with a close friend, I could see being there solo and having a fantastic experience.

vCash
    Heh. I am always worried about theft wrt my mom because she carries this big bag with a long strap and never latches it. She was in Barcelona with that bag and one young woman attempted to distract her while another grabbed the bag. My 65 yo, 4'9" mom grabbed the bag and the women's arm and told her if she didn't let go, "I'll kill you". The woman gasped and ran like hell. I worried less about my mom after that.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Istanbul. My first husband was Turkish, so we spent some time there. I went about quite a bit by myself, always dressed in locally purchased shoes and clothing, and covered my head with a scarf. Not necessary for a female to cover the head (1980s, things might have changed since then), but my Turkish mother-in-law said that I would be treated with respect that way. It really helped to be able to speak a few words and understand quite a bit too. As Allezfred said, shagging a native really helps one learn the language.

Go! I hope you have a wonderful time!
    Last edited by Wiery; 08-03-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I've only done that once and absolutely loved it. I went to the UK and stayed with a friend. Went about London on my own, traveled to Bath, etc. and took the friend out for dinner and a play to thank for the hospitality. Had a great time.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Thanks for all the replies

I need to get off the computer now, busy day! But I'll pop by tomorrow to discuss your great ideas. Thanks again, there's nothing like FSUers to cheer you up!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiery View Post
    Istanbul. My first husband was Turkish, so we spent some time there.
    Are you Turkish, Wiery? I visited Turkey twice last year. Turkish men are definitely HOT .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast