Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4048495051 LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1009

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    What has been purpose of demonizing Mustafina so much? It has been really weird part of this coverage. All this crying in practice nonsense targeted at both Mustafina and Komova. What is the reason? So what?
    Oh, not you too...

Title-less
    vCash
    Every time I looked at Mustafina her eyes looked as if she just cried or something. I was wondering how she could possibly win like that. Sigh. I hope the Russians get a shot at gold at these Olympics ( or the next one). Their style of gymnastics is really beautiful and it deserves some gold around their routines.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Oh, not you too...
    It's spreading....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    even when i hear american twitter folks talk about aliya as a fierce diva, they do that in the same tone that they joke about mckayla's 'attitude'--i actually sense a degree of respect. i sense no disrespect, no disdain. i can see why you might find NBC's commentary objectionable, but my opinion is no real damage is done to the reputation of aliya--especially not in light of the very gracious quotes after the all around from aliya and viktoria komova.
    NBC coverage sucks and is ridiculously American-centric. There is a reason why many Americans are tuning in to BBC and anywhere else we can find coverage. Don't watch it if you don't want to be subjected to that IMO.

Having said that, Americans have a love/hate relationship with their divas.
    American's love attitude and "fierceness" in general. Sure they love their bubbly all american gymnasts like Shawn Johnson, but they love their Russian divas as well. Nobody remember Carly Patterson. Many more people remember the great Russian diva Svetlana Khorkina. To be compared to and put in the same category as Boginskaya and Khorkina was not an insult to Mustafina or Komova.

Mustafina and Komova have had it easy compared to Maroney on the internet IMO. I can't tell you how many gifs and memes I've seen about Maroney and her "attitude." I'm being kind here, because she's actually referred to as having "b**** face." It's a strange backhanded compliment? for sure.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    mckayla does have great bitchface and it is a huge compliment
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I don't think the way NBC is doing it is complimentary. It doesn't seem that way. American are all such best friends and they all just great wonderful buddies and aren't they all great. Komova and Mustafina seem really close but it's all Mustafina has extremely bad attitude problems.

vCash
    And let's not show a bunch of competitors so you think the US is fighting for it when they win instead of running away with it!

vCash
    Komova posted this on her VK page:

I'm sorry I didn't live up to expectations. I imagine you will never forgive me..
    That poor girl. I just feel for her so much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post

((((Komova))))

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Mustafina and Komova have had it easy compared to Maroney on the internet IMO. I can't tell you how many gifs and memes I've seen about Maroney and her "attitude." I'm being kind here, because she's actually referred to as having "b**** face." It's a strange backhanded compliment? for sure.
    "Hey Mom! BITCH."
    "Can't you see I'm eating my leaves, BITCH."

I'm laughing so hard I can hardly breathe, BITCHES!

vCash

I wish she didn't feel that way. She won Olympic silver for heaven's sake - a wonderful honor and huge accomplishment. I hate it when people think not winning gold is failure. Komova performed brilliantly and her gymnastics is beautiful. She has nothing to be forgiven for.

vCash

Vika She has SO much to be proud of, I hope she realizes that sooner rather than later.

vCash
    Costas "Coming up tomorrow, a look at the Magnificent 7, the team who won the all-around in Atlanta." Well, duh. A whole team will always win the all-around against individual gymnasts

And ((Vika)). Komova did very well in the AA & has nothing to be ashamed of.

vCash

She did live up to expectactions - she performed some of the classiest, most beautiful, passionate, and classically trained looking gymnastics that has ever been performed in an Olympic AA final. She was expected to produce beautiful balletic routines in the soviet style of gymnastics and she did, and she was also expected (by me) to have a much messier beam routine and nowhere near the floor routine of her life that she gave. She's so good, and she has a very long Khorkina career ahead of her I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    It's a strange backhanded compliment? for sure.

bitchface is the Navka headband of gymnastics, it's actually a really big compliment. Many gymnasts strive to be queen B on the floor, but Mckayla is truly the queen. I think she could even beat Fusar-Poli in a staring contest. Boginskaya also had a very nice bitchface. There's a subtle art to it, where you love them for it instead of hate them.
    Last edited by Karpenko; 08-03-2012 at 05:05 AM.

vCash
    Prancer is my hero!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    bitchface is the Navka headband of gymnastics. Many gymnasts strive to be queen B on the floor, but Mckayla is truly the queen. I think she could even beat Fusar-Poli in a staring contest.
    I would love to see that. My money would definitely be on Maroney.

vCash

Poor Komova. I hope she's able to quickly realize there's nothing wrong with silver, and she did wonderful.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash

She just thinks it was her job to win and there is no winning of a silver medal for Russia just losing gold for Russia and that's it. It's common for athletes after they lose gold. Lots have written about it. She could have won. People have said it was hers to lose and she lost it.

vCash
    Ouch @ Twitter Nation with all the nasty comments directed towards Komova and Mustafina from the East Coasters who just watched the tape delay...not very nice from the once-every-four-years viewers...most not even bothering with last names ("Those Russians")

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I agree Komova deserved to lose and I need to get over it...But NBC has been terrible about the Russian girls, they are divas, emotional, rude to their coaches. Have they said anything good about their personalities other than that... Musatafina has been nothing but classy win or lose...But she's compared to Khorkina one of the worst sports ever. Its not right..
    You're insane and once you regain what little brain cells you have left after gym and have some distance, you need to go back and listen to what the NBC commentators said and not what your delusional brain for some reason wants them to have said.

And the diva fluff? I don't know what kind of boring people you hang out with, but everyone I know the fluff made them like the Russians more. It showed them as strong women as a contrast in attitude to giggly American girls without saying either was right or wrong.

And while not at FSU or certain gym boards, Khorkhina is one of the most recognized and respected non-American gymnasts among the every 4 year set.

Fact:
    1. Daggett thought Komova would be ahead after UB. The judges disagreed.
    2. Daggett was complimentary to Musty on beam. Very complimentary, given the fall.
    3. Daggett has said nice things about the Russians throughout this competition on their form, their choreography, and expressed regret they weren't at full form...when he mentioned injuries in the team trials.
    4. Even when they had ample opportunity to create controversy when Musty and Raisman tied, they did not. In fact, they seemed to expect that outcome and were fine with it. And you know if they really "hated" Russians, they would have ate that tie up and screamed and screamed. Instead, they just went right over it like it was par for the course, which it was.
    5. While people on FSU have complained about the reaction of the Russians, NO ONE on the NBC team have called them weepy, whiney, or anything of the sort.
    6. Never ONCE did NBC say Musty was rude to her coach--if anything, Daggett was expressing amazement that the coach was so obtuse he was trying to comfort her when she didn't want it. You might interpret that as NBC trying to demonize those poor girls--you seem to like radical interpretations--but I'm pretty sure he commented because he knew the cameras were there and he was explaining that Musty was NOT being rude because her coach damn well knew she doesn't like to be comforted after a bad exercise.

And yes, I do agree that Komova was underscored on floor. But she was overscored by much more on vault than understcored on floor. The judges giveth, and the judges taketh away.

As for the judges wanting a gymnast that went 4/4, well duh, genius, it's the freaking Olympics AA. They want an AA champ. That means going 4/4. Not 3/4, not 2/4. I'm glad Musty and Komova each got an AA medal; they earned it. And if they'd gone 4/4, they'd have absolutely deserved 1-2. But they didn't and Gabby did.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4048495051 LastLast