Every time I looked at Mustafina her eyes looked as if she just cried or something. I was wondering how she could possibly win like that. Sigh. I hope the Russians get a shot at gold at these Olympics ( or the next one). Their style of gymnastics is really beautiful and it deserves some gold around their routines.
Having said that, Americans have a love/hate relationship with their divas.
American's love attitude and "fierceness" in general. Sure they love their bubbly all american gymnasts like Shawn Johnson, but they love their Russian divas as well. Nobody remember Carly Patterson. Many more people remember the great Russian diva Svetlana Khorkina. To be compared to and put in the same category as Boginskaya and Khorkina was not an insult to Mustafina or Komova.
Mustafina and Komova have had it easy compared to Maroney on the internet IMO. I can't tell you how many gifs and memes I've seen about Maroney and her "attitude." I'm being kind here, because she's actually referred to as having "b**** face." It's a strange backhanded compliment? for sure.
mckayla does have great bitchface and it is a huge compliment
I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!
I don't think the way NBC is doing it is complimentary. It doesn't seem that way. American are all such best friends and they all just great wonderful buddies and aren't they all great. Komova and Mustafina seem really close but it's all Mustafina has extremely bad attitude problems.
And let's not show a bunch of competitors so you think the US is fighting for it when they win instead of running away with it!
Komova posted this on her VK page:
That poor girl. I just feel for her so much.I'm sorry I didn't live up to expectations. I imagine you will never forgive me..
Costas "Coming up tomorrow, a look at the Magnificent 7, the team who won the all-around in Atlanta." Well, duh. A whole team will always win the all-around against individual gymnasts
And ((Vika)). Komova did very well in the AA & has nothing to be ashamed of.
bitchface is the Navka headband of gymnastics, it's actually a really big compliment. Many gymnasts strive to be queen B on the floor, but Mckayla is truly the queen. I think she could even beat Fusar-Poli in a staring contest. Boginskaya also had a very nice bitchface. There's a subtle art to it, where you love them for it instead of hate them.
Last edited by Karpenko; 08-03-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Prancer is my hero!
Ouch @ Twitter Nation with all the nasty comments directed towards Komova and Mustafina from the East Coasters who just watched the tape delay...not very nice from the once-every-four-years viewers...most not even bothering with last names ("Those Russians")
And the diva fluff? I don't know what kind of boring people you hang out with, but everyone I know the fluff made them like the Russians more. It showed them as strong women as a contrast in attitude to giggly American girls without saying either was right or wrong.
And while not at FSU or certain gym boards, Khorkhina is one of the most recognized and respected non-American gymnasts among the every 4 year set.
1. Daggett thought Komova would be ahead after UB. The judges disagreed.
2. Daggett was complimentary to Musty on beam. Very complimentary, given the fall.
3. Daggett has said nice things about the Russians throughout this competition on their form, their choreography, and expressed regret they weren't at full form...when he mentioned injuries in the team trials.
4. Even when they had ample opportunity to create controversy when Musty and Raisman tied, they did not. In fact, they seemed to expect that outcome and were fine with it. And you know if they really "hated" Russians, they would have ate that tie up and screamed and screamed. Instead, they just went right over it like it was par for the course, which it was.
5. While people on FSU have complained about the reaction of the Russians, NO ONE on the NBC team have called them weepy, whiney, or anything of the sort.
6. Never ONCE did NBC say Musty was rude to her coach--if anything, Daggett was expressing amazement that the coach was so obtuse he was trying to comfort her when she didn't want it. You might interpret that as NBC trying to demonize those poor girls--you seem to like radical interpretations--but I'm pretty sure he commented because he knew the cameras were there and he was explaining that Musty was NOT being rude because her coach damn well knew she doesn't like to be comforted after a bad exercise.
And yes, I do agree that Komova was underscored on floor. But she was overscored by much more on vault than understcored on floor. The judges giveth, and the judges taketh away.
As for the judges wanting a gymnast that went 4/4, well duh, genius, it's the freaking Olympics AA. They want an AA champ. That means going 4/4. Not 3/4, not 2/4. I'm glad Musty and Komova each got an AA medal; they earned it. And if they'd gone 4/4, they'd have absolutely deserved 1-2. But they didn't and Gabby did.
If you can't set a good example, you can at least be a horrible warning. ~ my dating life, in a nutshell.