Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast
Results 961 to 980 of 1009
  1. #961
    Reality TV's Bytch
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oblivion
    Posts
    1,815
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Wow! I am totally watching the wrong channel because I did not get that at all about the Russians being demonized. I don't think they're being demonized at all but I do think Komova isn't as good as everyone said she was. I wasn't blown away by her beam and thought Gabby's was a lot better. I even thought Gabby was better on bars even though she doesn't have the difficulty. Mustafina's bars were amazing. I'm om with her winning the bronze.

  2. #962
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    404
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    re: bek's comment that NBC is demonizing aliya...

    maybe i shouldn't speak since i haven't watched all of NBC's coverage, but when my husband and i (american household) watch NBC coverage, she's our favorite. if NBC is attempting to brainwash us into thinking ill of her, it certainly hasn't been effective.

    to us, aliya has character, she has passion, she has an intensity that's riveting. her emotions are always 100% genuine--i find it a relief, the absence of the plastic, plastered, unconvincing grin some gymnasts flash. aliya has a grace that is unassisted by a physique as ideal as komova's, but i just adore her

    i didn't see the fluff piece NBC did on the russian gymnasts, but maybe, many other 'casual, olympics only' watchers also missed it? and i can tell you that someone (well, at least 2 people) not passionately devoted to gymnastics who started watching casually because it's the olympics *can* draw the conclusion that this gymnast is fascinating, this gymnast takes care of her teammates, this gymnast is elegant, has a dignified bearing, this gymnast is a fighter.

    even when i hear american twitter folks talk about aliya as a fierce diva, they do that in the same tone that they joke about mckayla's 'attitude'--i actually sense a degree of respect. i sense no disrespect, no disdain. i can see why you might find NBC's commentary objectionable, but my opinion is no real damage is done to the reputation of aliya--especially not in light of the very gracious quotes after the all around from aliya and viktoria komova.

    and even if some damage were done, casual watchers have short memories and were aliya to do very well in the EF, or next worlds/olys, all of NBC's blatherings will have been forgotten. IMHO.

  3. #963

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,930
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Wow bek. Only you could decide that, even if the right person won, had they not clearly won, there would have been a conspiracy and they would have won anyway. Like, you can't actually argue that Komova should have beaten Douglass based on their actual gymnastics, so you're going to argue for Komova based on a theoretical conspiracy that never actually played out so you still have something to bitch about.
    I'm being ridiculous. My favorite gymnast ever lost by two tenths....And I hate the feeling.

    Um, blowing by one's coach in a pissy fit because after a bad routine is not my definition of classy. I understand upset, but classy, it ain't. Aly had a bad beam routine, too, but she didn't go storming off like a 3-year old with a brewing tantrum (and I like Musty, I do).

    Let's face facts; your favorites didn't win, you are unhappy, and you're finding any possible reason to pick on anything that you think slights the Russian team. What did you expect in US coverage, a hearts and flowers explanation of how the Russians worked so hard, overcame injury, and are oh, so misunderstood??? Ain't gonna happen. That said, they did very well and should be proud. After watching the beam routines, I have no argument about Aliya placing over Aly. Komova and Mustafina were great, but tonight, they weren't great enough. Period.
    I'm not the only one who is complaining about the coverage. And I'm sorry Mustafina winning a bronze medal a year after tearing her ACL has got to be one of the biggest comebacks in this sport. Its a great story. Is she divish yes but I'm sorry training can be emotionall... Mustafina may have slugged off her coach, but she has also always been good great about win/losing... She had complimentary words about the American team the night they won and complimentary words about Douglas.

    And I'm sorry you don't have to make a foreign athlete look bad... Just to do so. Mustafina is one of the top stars in the sport and she deserves better than that...Aliya is obviously difficult with her coach but she has her good qualities too, well known good qualties,

  4. #964
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    35
    Posts
    204
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Tim just said Mustafina looked beautiful on floor. And Elfi said she's in a class of her own. Why would they tear her down like that??

  5. #965

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    out of the recliner at last
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,682
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4986
    oh the horror of the demonizing!
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

  6. #966

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    in the yarn stash
    Posts
    1,790
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I always loved watching Dominique, and now she's turned into this amazingly beautiful and centered woman. Wow!

    And great advice on only doing those things that Gabby has passion for, not looking just at the $.

  7. #967
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    37,701
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    15602
    You know, bek, it might do you some good to step away from the Olympics for a bit.

    And everyone else, bek is posting so much because she is responding to people who are responding to her and so on. Maybe if people just stopped responding for a while, it would give bek a little time to get a grip.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

  8. #968
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    City of Troy, Rensselaer County, NY
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,494
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I agree Komova deserved to lose and I need to get over it...But NBC has been terrible about the Russian girls, they are divas, emotional, rude to their coaches. Have they said anything good about their personalities other than that... Musatafina has been nothing but classy win or lose...But she's compared to Khorkina one of the worst sports ever. Its not right..
    Tim and Elfie BOTH just said during Mustafina's floor that the Russians are in a class by themselves because of their choreogrpahy and their classic ballet training.

    Gad... you need to STFU already and stop living so vicariously through these gymnasts, because you are taking this all way way too personally. With all the energy you are putting into your ad nauseum arguments I shudder to see what your offline life is like.

  9. #969

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,896
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19112
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    I think you should have put your rolleyes below that quote, that comparison is utter shite.
    No dear poths, the is all for your and your, um, well let's just say amusing posts.


    ETA: Gabby's coach has the cutest dimples.

  10. #970

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,930
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Tim and Elfie BOTH just said during Mustafina's floor that the Russians are in a class by themselves because of their choreogrpahy and their classic ballet training.

    Gad... you need to STFU already and stop living so vicariously through these gymnasts, because you are taking this all way way too personally. With all the energy you are putting into your ad nauseum arguments I shudder to see what your offline life is like.
    I'm talking about their personalities. What can you say about their gymnastics.
    I am not talking about their gymnastics I'm talking about her personality. Doesn't seem fair. And you know what if you listen to Tim. He didn't say it but his voice sounded that way. Komova's floor might really have been worth a 15.33. It was brilliant, and everyone in that room knew it.

    I have been a little caught up on it for the last couple of days,

  11. #971
    Blergh
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,328
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17286
    Not everyone. The judges didn't think so, and even if it did deserve three-tenths higher, she got gifted on vault with all those steps.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

  12. #972

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,620
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15753
    Are you effing serious NBC? Don't even bother to show Komova's floor score? It really ruined the damn competition at the end.

    So happy for Gabby, though. Heartbreaking for Raisman to lose the bronze on a stupid tie break.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  13. #973

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,896
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19112
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    You know, bek, it might do you some good to step away from the Olympics for a bit.

    And everyone else, bek is posting so much because she is responding to people who are responding to her and so on. Maybe if people just stopped responding for a while, it would give bek a little time to get a grip.
    Quoting the above because I think this is a FANTASTIC idea!!!

  14. #974
    Reality TV's Bytch
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oblivion
    Posts
    1,815
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Not everyone. The judges didn't think so, and even if it did deserve three-tenths higher, she got gifted on vault with all those steps.
    And I think she got a tiny bit gifted on bars with her handstands and beam with her bobbles. Her floor was lovely but had zero relation to the music.

  15. #975

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,175
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8235
    Komova's floor routine was breathtaking, and I saw genuine emotion in the routine, and my heart broke for her a bit, seeing how badly she wanted it and how much it hurt to missed gold. That was a memorable routine, and I hope she can take comfort in how well she did there and how she lit up the arena.

    But overall, Gabby was better and deserved the win. My heart also breaks for Aly, but I have no argument with her placement. It was close, by Aliya deserved her medal. The outcomes overall were fair, and the announcers were also fair, they didn't demonize anybody. I listened to their words and their praise and their criticisms all around. Overall, a wonderful competition, a fair and appropriate outcome, and decent commentating. And with that, a good night to all.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

  16. #976
    recovering Oly-holic
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the frozen, snowy north
    Posts
    1,237
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2042
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    You know, bek, it might do you some good to step away from the Olympics for a bit.

    And everyone else, bek is posting so much because she is responding to people who are responding to her and so on. Maybe if people just stopped responding for a while, it would give bek a little time to get a grip.
    Great idea. Common sense too.

  17. #977

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    bawlmore
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,505
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm a huge fan of Komova and Mustafina, and I don't think they've been demonized at all today from the NBC crew.

    That floor from Vika Komova was just amazing! I think it's actually my favorite routine of these entire Olympics so far by anyone. I also loved how Aliya hugged Vika tightly at the end of her routine; they seem so close--Aliya just acts like a protective, big sister to Vika.

  18. #978
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,173
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    So proud of Gabby! You go sister!

  19. #979
    Reality TV's Bytch
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oblivion
    Posts
    1,815
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Komova's floor routine was breathtaking, and I saw genuine emotion in the routine, and my heart broke for her a bit, seeing how badly she wanted it and how much it hurt to missed gold. That was a memorable routine, and I hope she can take comfort in how well she did there and how she lit up the arena.

    But overall, Gabby was better and deserved the win. My heart also breaks for Aly, but I have no argument with her placement. It was close, by Aliya deserved her medal. The outcomes overall were fair, and the announcers were also fair, they didn't demonize anybody. I listened to their words and their praise and their criticisms all around. Overall, a wonderful competition, a fair and appropriate outcome, and decent commentating. And with that, a good night to all.

  20. #980

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,163
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1604
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Do you think the diva coverage is fair? And I'm not just talking about Komova. The coverage of Mustafina is atrocious. Tim just said Ailya didn't have an Amanar..

    Don't you think that would be the time to talk about Aliya tearing her ACL...They purposely go out to make the girl as unlikeable as possible. Even though Mustafina has her good qualities even if she's a little rough with her coach. She's very classy to her competitors..

    She just put in an amazing comeback, Olympic podium after tearing her freaking ACL and not even mentioned. Thats huge in this sport. And its not even talked about. And you can imagine why they don't talk about it because Aliya coming back from a devestating injury-that would make her likeable. Its sickening.
    What has been purpose of demonizing Mustafina so much? It has been really weird part of this coverage. All this crying in practice nonsense targeted at both Mustafina and Komova. What is the reason? So what?

Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •