Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    But do you have to be truly excited and delighted? .
    Yes.

This is basically Lipinski beating Kwan in Nagano.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post

It was clearly the Gabby V Komova show tonight, and in accordance to the current rules etc, I can see how she won. But in all seriousness, Komova is clearly the superior gymnast IMO and I do feel like her performances should have been enough to win. I'm unerwhelemed by the whole event and have far more and moments as opposed to moments.
    I agree with this. Gabby performed well and I guess deserved to win under the current system (although I think her switch ring on beam should be downgraded, but not sure how much that would have changed the scores), but I hate the type of gymnastics that this system produces. Thank heavens that at least vault d values are supposedly being rejigged for the next code, it's a step in the right direction, but comes too late for these games.

I hope Vika, Aliya & the Romanians can perform well in the event finals - just as long as no one takes an UB medal away from Beth!

vCash
    I think you should have put your rolleyes below that quote, that comparison is utter shite.

Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post

vCash
    Dang the VCR didn't work. So I have to wait a couple days to see the AA.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash

It was clearly the Gabby V Komova show tonight, and in accordance to the current rules etc, I can see how she won. But in all seriousness, Komova is clearly the superior gymnast IMO and I do feel like her performances should have been enough to win. I'm unerwhelemed by the whole event and have far more and moments as opposed to moments.
    I'm hoping now poths you are on more the Komova train. The one thing I am happy about is the gymnast I saw in 2010 is slowly coming back.. I was wondering after seeing her on beam the last two years, if we would ever see that girl again..She's just needed more time.. (And I think more time with vault)...I love this girls gymnastics even i the code doesn't reward its stunningness.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Yes.

This is basically Lipinski beating Kwan in Nagano.
    That was awesome too.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    But in judo there were 2 bronze. Why not gymnastics.

I hope Komova continues to Rio.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I'm hoping now poths you are on more the Komova train. The one thing I am happy about is the gymnast I saw in 2010 is slowly coming back.. I was wondering after seeing her on beam the last two years, if we would ever see that girl again..She's just needed more time.. (And I think more time with vault)...I love this girls gymnastics even i the code doesn't reward its stunningness.
    Always a massive fan of Komova, easily the best gymnast in the world right now....I just NEVER imagined she'd put it together, get near a 15 on floor and stay on the beam. She did. She lost.

Anyways, Douglas is a great gymnast too and I am so impressed at her consistency in London, she seriously performed to win with zero hesitation and I'm for that!
    Last edited by poths; 08-02-2012 at 10:19 PM.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I hope Komova continues to Rio.
    Me too.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Because the IOC requires that gymnastics have tie breakers due to blatant fixing decades ago. The FIG doesn't require it; they don't break scores at Worlds or any other competition; just Olympics.

The problem with the tiebreakers for the Olympics is that they make no sense whatsoever. The way that Aly missed out on a bronze is imho pretty criminal. They basically dropped their lowest score and added the other three and that's how Musty got ahead. Which is so wrong; it's the ALL AROUND, not best three wins!

Grr. Sorry, still fuming.

vCash
    I think you should have put your rolleyes below that quote, that comparison is utter shite.
    He was comparing their personalities and competitive mindsets. That is the only thing he spoke about. He did not compare their gymnastics. He is in a place to know how their personalities and competitive mindsets compare. We are not. No need to doubt his word just because you didn't like the results and don't like Gabby.

vCash
    Always a massive fan of Komova, easily the best gymnast in the world right now....I just NEVER imagined she'd put it together, get near a 15 on floor and stay on the beam. She did. She lost.

Anyways, Douglas is a great gymnast too and I am so impressed at her consistency in Beijing, she seriously performed to win with zero hesitation and I'm for that!
    Yeah.. I think though on floor people forget how good she is... it is a sport and I guess comes down to elements but all of the little things Viktoria does. In general I think this girl can get more consistent with that vault with more reps... Maybe though since its going to be thank god! downgraded she will just go with a vault she can execute perfectly every time...

Blergh
    vCash
    I love that Douglas won and those few who are blinded by American-hate can join Crymova in the corner. I really was a fan of Komova since I saw her at the Jr. Olympics, but her immaturity and lack of sportsmanship at both 2011 Worlds and the Olympics us seriously off-putting. Shawn Johnsonwas severely disappointed but put on a brave face, Svetlana gave a kick-butt smirk but was still gracious, Amanar was happy for Raducan, the Romanians were happy for Lilia, Shannon Miller might've felt robbed but conducted herself well as did Silivas.

I'm a huge fan of Russian gymnastics, but people ALWAYS ignore flaws in their composition, form, and execution that it's become naturally assumed they are always superior when they are not. Douglas is the superior gymnast today.

And please Douglas/Komova is not Lipnski/Kwan.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    He was comparing their personalities and competitive mindsets. That is the only thing he spoke about. He did not compare their gymnastics. He is in a place to know how their personalities and competitive mindsets compare. We are not. No need to doubt his word just because you didn't like the results and don't like Gabby.
    This is my whole point, I don't give a shit about personality. How can I "not like Gabby'. I don't know the kid. I just watched a gymnastics competition, and the better GYMNAST, who gives a fck about fluff, smiles, cuteness....it's the GYMNASTICS. FWIW, I really like Douglas' gymnastics too, she has some super elements. But again, the better GYMNAST lost.

Karoli et al will all acknowledge that, the fact that all he can talk about is her personality and work ethic is telling.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    The problem with the tiebreakers for the Olympics is that they make no sense whatsoever. The way that Aly missed out on a bronze is imho pretty criminal. They basically dropped their lowest score and added the other three and that's how Musty got ahead. Which is so wrong; it's the ALL AROUND, not best three wins!
    They could use the smallest standard deviation, in which case Aly would win (0.79 vs 1.04).

ETA: I was rooting for Gabby and am thrilled with her win but I have no problem with Vika crying afterwards.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    A few weeks ago he was comparing Wieber's mental toughness with Nadia's. This is simply put Bela's schtick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I love that Douglas won and those few who are blinded by American-hate can join Crymova in the corner. I really was a fan of Komova since I saw her at the Jr. Olympics, but her immaturity and lack of sportsmanship at both 2011 Worlds and the Olympics us seriously off-putting.

Blergh
    vCash
    Bela is just a media-hound. It wasn't that far back where he was saying what a travesty it was for Weiber to not make the AA over the other two Americans who did.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    While I understand where Poths is coming from (I love the Russian style too), I don't have a problem with Gabby's style not being at the same level and winning. Gabby executed in all four events well, and no one else did. I wouldn't call Komova's vault "fine." It had a bad landing that cost her the gold.

Gymnastics has a similar problem to skating at the moment - the similarity of element scoring in each does seem to diminish some of the beauty in the sport. But there is still beauty, and still amazing physical accomplishment, and sometimes they coincide in the same athlete.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    That's how I feel when I see another Russian gymnast shed their glitter tears yet again. The Soviets wouldn't be caught dead acting like that (except Olga).

Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast