Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    My football baseball golf loving son is here visiting, going nuts over the womens badminton semi--finals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    You realize that their federation maybe might have told them to throw the meet so China could 1-2. There's talk they have orders on who can finish first and second between the two..
    So? You realise that talk is just that right? And that people can actually think for themselves? And that all eight disqualified players, and their coaches, all knew what they were doing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    The point is that (I hope) nobody told them they had to throw the meet THAT badly. Even my mom was unsurprised about the strategy, but was surprised that the coaches let them "play" in such a fashion.

She would have told us to be more clever and tricky about it.
    It is easy to throw a game when only one team wants to lose. But when two teams both are trying to throw the game- it becomes much more difficult to be clever about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    My favourite line from the article:

And it wasn't even the plot of a Will Ferrell movie.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Ironically, this might work out for badminton in the long run. In many countries, it must be getting more publicity than it ever has.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedwitch View Post
    Ironically, this might work out for badminton in the long run. In many countries, it must be getting more publicity than it ever has.
    Hey they made it look so easy I thought I would give it a go.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    There's more at play here than just these teams throwing their matches. Where is Badminton most popular? In Asia. Where does most of the big sponsorship money come from for the sport? Asia. Where do these knuckleheads come from? Asia.

You don't think there's not going to be some serious thinking when it comes to Asian Companies sponsoring this sport from all of this? Well, not in China so much, but more than likely South Korea. Also the President of the Federation is from South Korea, you don't think he could be in some trouble of his own at home just for following the rules and regs of the sport?

Yes, we're all joking about this in a sad way, but to Asia and Badminton, this is their SLC.

All of this was in an excellent article I read this morning waiting for the Women's Eights Final in Rowing. I'll try to find it and post here.

vCash
    Just why didn't these federations protest this format more. It couldn't just be that all the athletes didn't want to play in it or try to game it. How was this format even imposed on Badminton when it wasn't before.

vCash
    Given how important saving face is in Chinese culture (and in collectivist cultures in general), I worry about the mental health of those players.

Yes, they brought it upon themselves (although probably it's their federation that told them to play like this) but still.

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimsoul View Post
    This may not be a popular opinion and I hope no one is offended by it, but it is distressing to see conduct like this at the Olympic Games of all sporting events. The Games are supposed to be a display of all that is best about sport, i.e., athletes behaving in a sportsmanlike manner and trying their very best. So far in this Games, I see a lot more ugliness and bad sportsmanship than demonstration of Olympic ideals and this is very disheartening to me. I've always loved the Games and what they stand for, but the cynical attitude of winning at all costs by cheating and gaming the system has corrupted them and I think we are all poorer in spirit for it.

Besides the fact that what these athletes did was unethical and clearly a violation of the rules...
    You are totally right and this is exactly why it was the right decision to disqualify them.

vCash
    Funny - I saw social badminton advertised in our local paper and thought I would like to go but it is on at 9.30am on a Wednesday when I have to work. I am sure they will get a big boost in numbers after this week.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    It's not just the rules, it's the Olympic Oath all the athletes take at the start of the games. Not liking the system doesn't make cheating right, so no, it's not the Badminton federation's fault, it's the players and the individual coaches who may or may not have ordered them to do it (yes, players could ignore the coaches, but especially from the Chinese federation, there's a culture of obedience instilled in the players where they will follow their fed and coaches' orders or get in a LOT of trouble if they don't.)

What boggles my mind is--was it at all likely China wouldn't have medalled if they'd played honestly? They're fairly dominant as it is, how was cheating even necessary expect to make it less work?

On my horse forum there are some posters who are actually high-school badminton coaches (I wish we'd had badminton at my high school, I would actually have been willing to play something). They're really annoyed because it's hard enough to get people to take badminton seriously as it is. I played as a class in college-those of us who took it seriously really PLAYED. (Again, no competitive team at my school. Boo. At least coach usually played me so it was interesting.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    It's not just the rules, it's the Olympic Oath all the athletes take at the start of the games. Not liking the system doesn't make cheating right, so no, it's not the Badminton federation's fault, it's the players and the individual coaches who may or may not have ordered them to do it (yes, players could ignore the coaches, but especially from the Chinese federation, there's a culture of obedience instilled in the players where they will follow their fed and coaches' orders or get in a LOT of trouble if they don't.)

What boggles my mind is--was it at all likely China wouldn't have medalled if they'd played honestly? They're fairly dominant as it is, how was cheating even necessary expect to make it less work?

On my horse forum there are some posters who are actually high-school badminton coaches (I wish we'd had badminton at my high school, I would actually have been willing to play something). They're really annoyed because it's hard enough to get people to take badminton seriously as it is. I played as a class in college-those of us who took it seriously really PLAYED. (Again, no competitive team at my school. Boo. At least coach usually played me so it was interesting.)
    It was about ensuring China could get gold/silver (aka have the 2 teams in opposite half) instead of just gold/bronze (if they were in same half)

vCash
    I just think it's they'd probably never have been disqualified if only one of the teams were smart enough to get a slight injury and forfeit the match. And then recover in time for the elimination round. We have a proud history of these slight injuries in gymnastics in Eastern Europe .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    I just think it's they'd probably never have been disqualified if only one of the teams were smart enough to get a slight injury and forfeit the match. And then recover in time for the elimination round. We have a proud history of these slight injuries in gymnastics in Eastern Europe .
    I think one of the Chinese DID try that but the referee told them to play anyway. I think it was Wang Xiaoli who claimed a slight back or ankle injury, but to no avail. So clearly, that wasn't gonna work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tchaikovsky_177 View Post
    I' think one of the Chinese tried that but the referee told them to play anyway. So clearly, that wasn't gonna work.
    Well, they'd need to do that *before* the game . And making complete arses of themselves hitting serve after serve in the net.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Well, they'd need to do that *before* the game .
    Yes, they did before the game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tchaikovsky_177 View Post
    Yes, they did before the game
    Acting lessons then! And maybe break out the soccer team doctor with the magic spray just for good measure -to valide the recovery in the next few days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    That is funny.
    My favorite quote comes from the South Korean explanation:

That left South Korea in the awkward position of saying that while it appeared they were trying to lose on purpose, the truth is their players were just terrible.

Now that's the Olympic spirit.

vCash
    ^

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234