Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 79
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,724
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15381

    Putting the "Bad" in badminton

    I saw clips of this last night. Referee gave them a blast, an Australian official made an official complaint and 8 players got disqualified.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19072677
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,870
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Bf and I had SUCH a blast laughing at them play so badly. It literally was as if they'd never played badminton before! At least they could have PRETENDED to play a real match! I (and my mom) was actually surprised the coaches didn't come up with THAT strategy when they determined they should try to lose. The tricky Asians forgot the most important part of the trick.

    The swimming equivalent I came up with (since some suggested that many swimmers don't put 100% in heats) was if the competitors belly-flopped into the pool, flailed for 20m, and then gave up by the time they got to the other side. The thrown badminton match was THAT level of laughable, complete fail at your sport.

    The spectators who paid good money to be there were likely (and rightfully) pissed though.

  3. #3
    Go Denmark!
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,596
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2418
    I agree Anita - if you have watche any olympic level badminton, it was clear that they threw the match.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,870
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    I agree Anita - if you have watche any olympic level badminton, it was clear that they threw the match.
    My bf had NEVER watched Olympic-level badminton, and it was still obvious.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,724
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15381
    Well the funny thing was when one of them hit it so gently that the shuttlecock wasn't going to go anywhere from the clips I saw.

    You are right, you think they could be a bit smarter about throwing a match rather than making it so obvious.

    I think the federation made a very quick decision on it through. Good for them.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  6. #6
    Title-less
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    8,689
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    These players have nothing to "lose" now.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Age
    25
    Posts
    652
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The funniest part for me is the fact that the people who arguably benefit the most from all this is Tian/Zhao (CHN), whose unexpected second round loss was precisely the cause of these 4 teams tanking and then getting dumped out. Talk about a spectacular way of taking out your rivals

    (and of course, the lucky 3rd/4th place Russian and especially Canadians who will now have a shot at bronze )

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    260
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Well the funny thing was when one of them hit it so gently that the shuttlecock wasn't going to go anywhere from the clips I saw.

    You are right, you think they could be a bit smarter about throwing a match rather than making it so obvious.

    I think the federation made a very quick decision on it through. Good for them.
    The problem is both sides were trying to throw the match. That makes it harder. It becomes a game of who can play worst. LOL

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,724
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15381
    Quote Originally Posted by moojja View Post
    The problem is both sides were trying to throw the match. That makes it harder. It becomes a game of who can play worst. LOL
    Yeah I loved that. One side realised what the others were doing so tried to do the same. Quite pathetic really.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,619
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15002
    It is absolutely hilarious. And sad. But mostly hilarious.

    Maybe a quick fix would be to make it so that any loss means you are out of the tournament. This would eliminate people looking at the draw to see which bracket looks easier.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Age
    25
    Posts
    652
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    It is absolutely hilarious. And sad. But mostly hilarious.

    Maybe a quick fix would be to make it so that any loss means you are out of the tournament. This would eliminate people looking at the draw to see which bracket looks easier.
    It's always been that way in badminton before... they had a draw just like the tennis and table tennis draw, aka knockout tournament style. Top seed in the first half, second seed in bottom half. Then draw seeds 3 and 4 in different halves, and so on and so forth.

    I am not sure why in London they suddenly decided to do it soccer style with round robin and pool play Presumably to give losing players a chance to play more matches and potentially win 1 or two before leaving the tournament... Who knows. Anyway, if they wanted badminton to be more exciting and be in the news, they succeeded

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,724
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15381
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Maybe a quick fix would be to make it so that any loss means you are out of the tournament. This would eliminate people looking at the draw to see which bracket looks easier.
    That is what it was. They introduced the round robin for this Olympics as a lot of other sports do it. However these teams are obviously not too smart if they thought throwing matches really badly was going to give them an easy path to the finals.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,870
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tchaikovsky_177 View Post
    The funniest part for me is the fact that the people who arguably benefit the most from all this is Tian/Zhao (CHN), whose unexpected second round loss was precisely the cause of these 4 teams tanking and then getting dumped out. Talk about a spectacular way of taking out your rivals

    (and of course, the lucky 3rd/4th place Russian and especially Canadians who will now have a shot at bronze )
    That reminds me of my first time playing a video game. It was Mario Kart of some kind, and I was still figuring out how to not crash into walls when my friends killed each other and I became the default winner.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,867
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3930
    I play badminton better than these teams demonstrated in those matches. Probably even a lot better.

    Glad they got booted out. I still don't understand why winning isn't a helpful thing in pool play in badminton -- isn't it pretty helpful in virtually all the other sports that use pool play?

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Age
    25
    Posts
    652
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I play badminton better than these teams demonstrated in those matches. Probably even a lot better.

    Glad they got booted out. I still don't understand why winning isn't a helpful thing in pool play in badminton -- isn't it pretty helpful in virtually all the other sports that use pool play?
    Not if you knew beforehand the results of the other pool (which would not happen in soccer because different groups play simultaneously) and the world's most unbeatable pair ended second in their pool

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    peregrinating
    Posts
    4,936
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    14505
    I'm not sure how badminton rules and regulations work, but if a team were to forfeit the round robin game due to injury or whatever, would they still be allowed to play in the next round as long as they qualified even with a loss? Am just trying to figure out if there are other ways to 'cheat'

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,848
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2689
    This really had me ; it reminds me of the episode of South Park where they kept trying to throw Little League Games only to find out their rivals had worked harder at playing badly .

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,724
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15381
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    I'm not sure how badminton rules and regulations work, but if a team were to forfeit the round robin game due to injury or whatever, would they still be allowed to play in the next round as long as they qualified even with a loss? Am just trying to figure out if there are other ways to 'cheat'
    Oh but then it wouldn't be as much fun for us. However I think those people who paid good money to see the competition would rightfully be peeved off.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,870
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    This really had me ; it reminds me of the episode of South Park where they kept trying to throw Little League Games only to find out their rivals had worked harder at playing badly .
    That episode was pointed out to me too.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    10,386
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    At least in South Park they were putting a lot of effort into pitching directly to the opponents bat or batting straight into someone's mitt. That takes serious game. This was a joke.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •