vCash

Cleveland, Ohio Trip Advice

I'm going up to Columbus, Ohio to see my brother and family and I'm making a side trip to Cleveland to go to the Rock and Roll hall of fame.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to eat in downtown Cleveland, sorta pricy would do. I don't like eating at the hotel (Doubletree). Will be there two nights.

Thanks!

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    I like the markets. Columbus has the North Market & Cleveland has the West Side Market:

http://www.westsidemarket.org

It's not too far from the Hall of Fame. Have fun on your trip!

vCash
    Perhaps Pier W? http://www.selectrestaurants.com/pier/1.0.0.php
    Fish, mostly. I hear it might not be the absolute top-chef food ( though very good), but great view of Lake Erie and good ambience. I heard that their brunch is fantastic.
    When are you going? I could ask my Clevelander friends, but it'll take a little bit of time. There are many gourmet restaurants there.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I'm leaving for Ohio tomorrow but I won't be going to Cleveland till Monday afternoon.

Pier W sounds promising. I'll put it on the list!

vCash
    Michael Symon - the first? Winner of the iron chef America has a restaurant in downtown cleveland - Lola's. That area around East 4th has several good restaurants and clubs.

Further east is the museum district including the art museum which I recommend. Also, the Cleveland orchestra is right there though most of their summer concerts are at the outdoor venue Blossom - which is nestled in cuyahoga valley national park. There is also the institute of music that often gives free afternoon performances from its students.

A boat trip on the good time or nautica can be fun - short boat ride on the lake that gives a history of the area.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    I've lived in and around Cleveland all my life and these are the places I've thought of:

PierW is very nice and has a great view of Lake Erie.

Nearer to the Rock Hall are these restaurants:

Pickwick & Frolic 2035 E. 4th St., near Tower City; phone 216-241-7425

Morton's The Steakhouse at Tower City; 216-621-6200

Hyde Park Prime Rib next door to Tower City at 123 Prospect West 216-344-2444

Hard Rock Cafe 230 West Huron in Tower City 216-830-7625

Houlihan's Restaurant 230 Huron in Tower City 216-830-9090

I'm sure that PierW, Pickwick & Frolic, Hard Rock, Houlihan's are all open for lunch as well as dinner. Morton's and Hyde Park - not sure they are open for lunch so check! Call about parking as some of these places offer valet parking.

I would not recommend the West Side Market - I'm not sure they even have a snack bar!

Have fun

Have fun!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenfarone View Post
    I've lived in and around Cleveland all my life and these are the places I've thought of:

Snipped the list
    Have fun!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take the list with me and work something out. I'm looking forward to being in Ohio again and hope to have a great time in both Columbus and Cleveland.

vCash
    There is an AMAZING restaurant called "Crop'. Absolutlely wonderful- ate almost every dinner there while I was at Nationals a few years ago.

http://cropbistro.com/
    Last edited by Twizzler; 08-03-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: ETA link to website

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    Try Pistacia Vera (3rd & Hoster) in Columbus if you want really excellent dessert. And of course Jeni's Ice Cream which is everywhere & saturating the central OH market at this point because everyone likes it so much.

I get tired of the chains & always look for the local stuff wherever I go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Michael Symon - the first? Winner of the iron chef America has a restaurant in downtown cleveland - Lola's. That area around East 4th has several good restaurants and clubs.
    Let me second the suggestion for Lola. The food and service was awesome when I ate their with a friend. If you have time to stop at the Cleveland Museum of Art, their cafe is upscale if you want a nicer lunch time place.

There are several nice steakhouses downtown along with a couple of nice seafood places. Another great place is San Souci (http://sanssoucicleveland.com/) which is inside the Renaissance Hotel right on Public Square.

vCash
    I used to live near a deli called corky& Lenny's. They're a Cleveland institution and have some pretty damn amazing matzo ball soup.

vCash
    Mallorca. Been there a couple of times and it was great both times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenfarone View Post

Hard Rock Cafe 230 West Huron in Tower City 216-830-7625
    No suggestion here, just wanted to say thatI went to this Hard Rock the weekend it opened. We just happened to be up that way over the 4th. We went to Cedar Point (and the Merry Go Round museum) in Sandusky. The next day we were going to Cleveland to the R&R Hall of Fame. We were in the hotel and they mentioned on the news that the Hard Rock Cafe was opening in Cleveland that weekend. I had never been to one, so I was excited. Uh, opening of a popular restaurant on a Saturday of a holiday weekend? We stood in line (and took turns walking around the Tower Mall and outside) for 2-1/2 hours!!!! It was an interesting experience though.

vCash
    Back from Vacation.

We did end up eating at Lola's one night. Very, very nice but I found it a bit dark where we were sitting so it was hard to see exactly what we were eating. The next night we went back down to the 4th street area and ate at the "House of Blues" which was good also.

Now I just need to psyche myself to work after being away for 10 days!