Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast
    vCash
    ^^ Yep, indeed, floskate! On slo-mo I noticed in the background that even one of the judges' jaws dropped with her mouth wide open in amazement. (Was the judge awestruck by the height, the form, or the way Maroney stuck that landing?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ Yep, indeed, floskate! On slo-mo I noticed in the background that even one of the judges' jaws dropped with her mouth wide open in amazement. (Was the judge awestruck by the height, the form, or the way Maroney stuck that landing?)
    All of it. Its absolutely incredible...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    The Russians were so dejected after floor I suggested they all spend the evening in a padded cell. They all seemed to brighten up on the podium though. I hope they're not too disappointed.
    Apparently they are not. In NTV+ interview right after the medal ceremony which I saw they seemed to be over the moon with their silver medals.

Thanks for the reports, Loves_Shizuka!

vCash
    ^Oh wow, I don't suppose you have a link to any intervews please?

And you're welcome

Vacant
    vCash
    ^In person it was ridiculous. I gasped so loudly when she left the table. And then the stick; it DID give me goosebumps. I wasn't really at the best angle to see how high it was, but you can tell she's way higher than everyone else.
    From the video it sounds like the whole arena gasps, like, wow that's HUGE and then she lands and everyone goes ballistic! Brilliant sporting theatre.

vCash
    ^Oh wow, I don't suppose you have a link to any intervews please?
    I cannot find the one I posted about, but here is what I've managed to come across:

Komova
    Afanasyeva
    Afanasyeva version II
    Mustafina

Sorry, I cannot translate those quotes right now. Hope google renders it decently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    No kidding, genius. But what you seem incapable of understanding is that two people can, in fact, strive to win while wishing the best for the other person. I've no doubt they both want that AA gold medal for themselves. But I'd also be willing to bet that if one girl doesn't get it they'd rather their teammate win than someone from another country. If the Russian women don't have that mentality that's their hangup.
    Yes, look at Shawn and Nastia. They were roommates for goodness sake, and both going for the same prize. Yet they didn't shut each other out on the sidelines during AA when both were finished with each event before moving on to the next, and their respective coaches were supportive of each other's athlete.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Yes, look at Shawn and Nastia. They were roommates for goodness sake, and both going for the same prize. Yet they didn't shut each other out on the sidelines during AA when both were finished with each event before moving on to the next, and their respective coaches were supportive of each other's athlete.
    Shawn and Nastia didn't necessarily "chose" to be roommates. Talk is neither of girl really liked each other. It fact Shawn herself later on in an interview talked about her not being liked much by her team. You reailze that we are best friends love each other etc is a lot of media hype that isn't necessarily really true? Now sometimes it is true I totally believe Aly/Wieber and Maroney are close...

Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    No kidding, genius. But what you seem incapable of understanding is that two people can, in fact, strive to win while wishing the best for the other person. I've no doubt they both want that AA gold medal for themselves. But I'd also be willing to bet that if one girl doesn't get it they'd rather their teammate win than someone from another country. If the Russian women don't have that mentality that's their hangup.

Of course they'd rather have their teammate than someone from another country. But if its a choice between them getting gold, the other non American getting silver or their fellow American getting gold, and them getting silver. Well you better believe, they'd rather take gold and the non American silver... Raisman's only shot at gold is if Douglas makes a mental mistake. She may do the whole "come on" but she's not going to go out there and give Gabby coaching in order for Gabby to do so....

If you think Jordyn after Gabby nearly blew it on floor was thinking "awww to bad" I got another thought coming from you. At that point Jordyn was thinking now I have my chance time to seize on it.

its not that personal

Now if Komova is up last and Mustafina has already gone and is out of first place at the time, I can see Aliya going up to Komova maybe and talking her up. From body language, not we are super close best friends.... Those two are close.. But Aly isn't in that position with Douglas. Her last routine is after Gabby's.

Once again none of these girls especially in the Americans system with the amount of depth it has. Got this far without a very tough as nails competitive streak. And so yes the firsts thing on each girls mind the MOST important things is not their "teammates" performance but rather what they can do to beat everyone including their teammate.
    Last edited by bek; 08-02-2012 at 01:10 PM.

vCash
    OnDemand finally has a part of the women's TF and I'm watching it now.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    In fact Nastia just said in an interview. That in the team your all about the team. But in the individual yes your glad to be representing the US and you "support each other" but really your there for yourself. And deep down you want to win.

To be frank, I find the whole idea that not having this attitude in an individual event is somehow "not decent" is ridiculous. I would imagine that all of these girls who once again got to be tough competitors to make it through have a tact understanding about this one. Even if they are friends. I.e when we compete we will compete to the death, best girl win.
    Last edited by bek; 08-02-2012 at 02:26 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    In fact Nastia just said in an interview. That in the team your all about the team. But in the individual yes your glad to be representing the US and you "support each other" but really your there for yourself. And deep down you want to win.
    I would think what country you come form also matters when it comes to this. It's a lot easier to root for someone you see and train with every day, so centralized training systems like Russia, China and Romania probably have more gymnasts who are actually willing to give up their spots in finals and the like in favor of a teammate. Obviously, not true for everyone, but I would think it happens more in those countries than in the US where you do train separately.

Not to mention, in Romania they bench you from competitions from a young age if you ever do things like complain about your start order on events or refuse to help the team. I was v. good at that

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    NBC was bugging Bela with questions probably just to kill time, but he loved being bugged.

So it was Aly Raisman. Seriously, she took Gabby out of that panic that must set in when your coach is not near you and you realize that you have to go on next and carry yourself from one element to another all around the cycle. Good on Aly for recognizing that Gabby needed a pump up and good on Gabby for accepting it.
    I thought that was an incredible moment. Gabby knew who to go to and Aly recognized immediately what Gabby needed. Later they showed Aly getting instructions from Liang Chow behind the barrier, I assume for Gabby. I think Aly has future coach written all over her.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    I was really amused by Aly running over to Chow. No idea what they were talking about but it is funny.

Also, I always think it's a bit dumb to argue about what the results will be in a sporting event. It's going to happen and the result will be what it is. So why write dissertations on what you think is going to happen when the whole thing will be settled by it actually happening? But, I have to say, having a sustained argument on not who will win but whether or not two gymnasts will interact has raised the level of this to new heights of silliness.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post

Also, I always think it's a bit dumb to argue about what the results will be in a sporting event. It's going to happen and the result will be what it is. So why write dissertations on what you think is going to happen when the whole thing will be settled by it actually happening? But, I have to say, having a sustained argument on not who will win but whether or not two gymnasts will interact has raised the level of this to new heights of silliness.
    It's especially funny(in a bang your head against the wall kind of way) because everyone is basically saying the same thing!

vCash
    I was really amused by Aly running over to Chow. No idea what they were talking about but it is funny.

Look I don't care how the gymnasts will interact. I was more saying I don't think any of these gymnasts are going to be thinking about supporting each other, they are going to be thinking about beating each other.

I'm sorry but it bothered me when the poster said they are decent if they are not just thinking of themselves in an individual competition! Because it implies that it is somehow undecent to think otherwise. I just find this very unfair..

For me this is rather about an attitude we have about female competitors especially that I just don't like. They aren't allowed to be hard nosed like males are. Its "unladylike." There's a time and a place absolutely to think and care about others. However when everyone has agreed to participate in a competition. Than its a-okay and perfectly decent to think mainly about beating each other...And I'm trying to point out that realistically those two very much are thinking about how much they want to beat each other.

I'm sorry it just bothers me that we somehow can't let athletes be athletes especially female athletes. Its not about Russia vs USA for me in that sense.

Being a hard nosed driven competitor who will do everything possible "legally" to win... Doesn't mean at all that you are not a decent person. After all the point of the competition is to beat each other.

In general I am doing disertations to convince myself Komova could win. I will say though unless Komova show some improvement, Douglas would deserve too.
    Last edited by bek; 08-02-2012 at 03:22 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    I'm still in awe of Maroney's vault. They didn't join the comp until bars on my feed so I'm thrilled it's already available. Thanks for the links. I'm so happy that she had that special moment. When your team contribution is only 10 seconds it's hard to make your Mark but did she ever. To do that vault to the very best of her ability at that time when it mattered most - well that's just incredibly special. Her vault will go down in history and for me at least was the most brilliant piece of gymnastics since Silivas' compulsory floor in 87. This girl deserves to be a superstar!!
    I couldn't agree more.
    Talk about responding to the challenge!

Loves_Shizuka. thank you so much for sharing your "up close and personal" experience.
    What a thrill.

vCash

Thank you! I don't understand it at all. Everyone will have enough to talk about as a result of the competition itself and yet, it's the imaginary results seems to get everyone really riled up

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by london_calling View Post
    Thank you! I don't understand it at all. Everyone will have enough to talk about as a result of the competition itself and yet, it's the imaginary results seems to get everyone really riled up

Look my only concern was how close Aly was to Douglas and Komova in scores. And I'm sorry yes that she came on top of Jordyn who is not my favorite gymnast but has far better basics. Yes the buffed up their floor routines, but both gymnasts quality wise are at a different level...I don't want this sport to be all about difficulty you can land on your feet no matter how well the difficulty can be done....Raisman has the absolute cutest personality around and seems like a real sweetheart, I could live with in someways a bronze.

But as far as I'm concerned if she wins this, than its going to send a message to the athletes on what they need to concetrate on. Difficulty, difficulty, with no concern whatsover for execution. Its going to make the sport more and more unwatchable. These judges are capping scores and they don't seperate the good from the great, and the poor from the decent. What that means is that a gymnast who is truly great on something doesn't really get the true margin that they deserve over others. And so than someone else can make it up in other places...

Maroney's vault is a prime example of this. I love my RUssians but Maroney deserves a lot more than 9tenths in difference between what she did and Paseka did. And even between what she did and her other teammates did..

The sport is at its best when you have things done beautifully.. Like that vault. But now people aren't encouraged to go for perfection...Because perfection isn't rewarded.
    Last edited by bek; 08-02-2012 at 03:43 PM.

vCash
    Bek. WE KNOW how you feel about this. We got it. You don't have to repeat it over and over and over as a response to every post whether it has anything to do with your favorite topic or not. We know. We get it. No one here could possibly be unfamiliar with your opinion on this subject. Most of us could probably repeat your entire position on this without even needing to consult one of your posts.

It's not your opinion people find frustrating. It's not that we are confused about what you think or why you think it. It's just that we already know. And that's why it creates backlash. Sorry.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post

To be frank, I find the whole idea that not having this attitude in an individual event is somehow "not decent" is ridiculous. I would imagine that all of these girls who once again got to be tough competitors to make it through have a tact understanding about this one. Even if they are friends. I.e when we compete we will compete to the death, best girl win.
    I actually have to agree with you on this one. In a team situation, what helps the team helps yourself. In an individual situation, helping yourself is helping yourself, not others. Furthermore, it would not be a competition if there was not a winner, and competition is supposed to drive the competitors to be better.

This does not mean that outside of competition competitors will not hang out. They might because they have a lot in common.

ETA: It is important to note that Aly gave enough good advice to Gabby during the team competition to take with her to the AA.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 08-02-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast