Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I still can't get over Romania not overtaking them.
    They were almost 5 pts behind Russia (4.8) on bars. You really can't shoot yourself in the foot like that on any event. And they've actually gotten better as a team in the past few years. Chelaru is just fug and an eye sore on UB. I was wondering if she even managed to be centered over the bar or hit a perfect handstand at any point after her mount.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Hey! Canada finished 5th!
    Yup, and two girls in the VT final, plus AA. Very good outing for them so far

Title-less
    vCash
    What is the deal with the Russian girls these days? They just aren't dominant like they once were in the 90s.

vCash
    Couldn't be in the thread because I had a lunch thing but I was following on twitter. for team USA! What ever else has happened or will happen at this Olympics for the US girls, they have accomplished their number 1 goal and they are now all Olympic Gold Medalist!

I am so happy for all of them but I am especially happy for Jordyn. Her Amanar was amazing today and her floor was very good. So glad to see her come out fighting like we knew she could. Sure, she won't get to do AA and that has to be disappointing. But today's results bust take some of the sting off of it.

I can't believe how amazing Gabby was today. I don't think I was wrong to be nervous about her but I'm so glad that she was able to come up so huge for the USA. Whatever happens in the all around, good or bad, this will always be my favorite moment from Gabby. Her growth in just one year is insane and the work she did for her team was amazing.

I can't believe Maroney's E score. Not because she didn't deserve it, heck she may have deserved a 10, but just because it is higher than I ever imagined we'd see!

And Kyla is so fab. I hope she can get a floor routine that is worthy of her and clean up that Amanar because she has world AA champ potential. She's so poised, you'd never know that she was not only the youngest member of this team but one of the youngest athletes in the games.

And obviously Aly. It wasn't her highest scoring routine but she did exactly what she was brought here to do. She hit, she was rock solid, and she never let the enormity of the moment get to her even anchoring on beam and floor with the US in position to win. And I have a feeling that she deserves a lot of credit for leading this team as well.

I just can't get over how insanely happy I am for these ladies! They fought for it and they earned it beyond any shadow of a doubt. During qualifications, they started brilliantly on vault and then kind of declined from there. Today it seems like they used those amazing vaults to fuel the rest of their performance.

I was definitely really rooting for the USA to win but I was also hoping that russia would give a performance that they could be really proud of. It really seemed like things might go that way early on but it wasn't to be. I am for them. I hope Vika and Aliya can kill it in the AA.

vCash
    Congrats to US, Russian and Romania! Well done and very well deserved!

I am especially happy for Romania but so so sad for China.

vCash
    I hope Aliya somehow pulls out an Amanar for the AA. It could be her only chance to go to gold at these games.

Not likely, but eh, oh well.

What is the rotation order for AA? It might depend on whether she goes on vault first rotation or later.

vCash
    Russia was a hot mess.

I still can't get over Romania not overtaking them.
    I don't think Russia was a hot mess. They were loads better than they have been before and much better than I expected. It's just a pity about Grishina and Afan on floor. Especially Afan who was just having the floor performance of the competition so far, IMO.

And Romania has no business winning with such bad uneven bars. I don't know what happened to them. They used to be good in the UB in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by altai_rose View Post
    What is the rotation order for AA? It might depend on whether she goes on vault first rotation or later.
    They start on vault.

vCash
    Yeah I know, Romania has only themselves to blame for the bars disaster. :/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by altai_rose View Post
    I hope Aliya somehow pulls out an Amanar for the AA. It could be her only chance to go to gold at these games.

Not likely, but eh, oh well.

Mustafina is best off sticking with a DTY. Her DTY gets big scores and her Amanar which will be less well executed will only score a tinsy bit more. If she were to wobble less get more confident on beam she would be very competitive. I"m wondering if her and Komova's bars scores which have been underscored especially Aliya's "might" go up. She can make up vault on bars vs gabby and floor vs Komova. Floor scores seemed to go up here so I'm curious if Komova were to hit her floor do all her difficulty how much hers would...

If Komova doesn't hit her beam/do a much floor I want Gabby to take this... I'd love to see Komova do a magical beam routine like she did in 2010 at YOG... When she does it, you can't take your eyes off her.

Its not a bars disaster its how Romania is on bars. In general Romania's in many ways been overscored... Russia wasn't really a mess just two routines were and they had some hiccups...If you look at how Russia performed 4 years ago-now that was a mess.

I had a feeling that Grishina as the weak link of that team....

vCash
    Mariana Bitang said(she had a phone conversation with gsp reporters) Larisa had a minor injury on her hand just before her UB routine and she had blood on her hand while performing. This may explain her bad performance on UB. She is not good on this event but a score under 14 is unusual even for her. This is one unlucky kid At least she hit beam and she has something to be proud of. I understood the coaches are against her taking part in the AA but it's her choice.

The USA team was absolutely gorgeous today. They looked like champions from the first minute they entered the arena

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I had a feeling that Grishina as the weak link of that team....
    Because Paseka doesn't exist?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    And Romania has no business winning with such bad uneven bars. I don't know what happened to them. They used to be good in the UB in the 80s.
    Belu is not good when it comes to coaching bars and for some reason or another, he never had the good bar coaches from Baia Mare come up to Deva to work with the team. Monica Sabou & Mirela Pasca were both from Baia Mare and two of the best bar workers on the team. It's too late now since they've all left the country (Costela Mihaiuc, Ibolya Haidu, Ancuta But etc).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by canbelto View Post
    Glad to see the Russian girls smiling. I really hate how the media hypes them as "divas" as if "Russian" = "bitch." These 5 girls look like girls I'd love to hang out with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiery View Post
    I didn't like that segment either; they're incredibly talented girls (kids, really) who are under incredible pressure, doing insanely difficult and dangerous moves every day, with really no margin for error. Not divas; that was not well done by US media at all.
    Thank you. That segment bothered me, too. Why/how do tears make one a diva? I, too, was happy to see them smiling on the podium, and Mustafina even smelled her flowers when they were handed to her. It seemed like, despite their disappointment, they were able to enjoy their podium moment.

Congrats, Team USA! They were spectacular today! wow, just wow. I am so glad that each team member delivered, and I can't wait to see what they do in the all-around and event finals.

also very happy for Romania. Ponor is a beam

fine effort from China, under the circumstances. I hope they can pick up some medals in the event finals.

very impressive performance from the Canadians! good for them! I loved the flowers in the hair, a nod to Peng Peng Lee (how I wish she could have competed here).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleflutz View Post
    Because Paseka doesn't exist?
    The weak link mentally. She fell all over the place at the Olympic Test Event... She's an absolutely brilliant young gymnast who many were saying in practices they thought would overtake Mustafina for the AA..

Paseka's Amanars are a new vault for her, and she sat them both down in podium training. Was her Amanar perfect but it wasn't completely disasterous. And its a lot to ask someone to go for that new vault for the first time in major competition. The Russian coaches can work with Paseka (perhaps develop her on floor too) Its not like Grishina just fell on a hard pass it was a mental error.....

Beautiful young gymnast but if Alexandrov had more depth-she'd go the way of Pavs.. I have a feeling that the Russian coaches may be taking another look at Nabieva (for bars)

vCash
    I was reading a politics blog in The Atlantic and ran into this: Why Jordyn Wieber didn't make it: a gif guide.

I thought it was good.

vCash
    I was trying to wait until tonight but I couldn't stand it. Congrats to all of the medalists and to Canada for an excellent team olympics. I was so hoping USA would win the gold in China but the Chinese were great at their Olympics. I am so happy to see them win now. Now on to the AA and event finals. I want all to do well but this American would sure like to see the UK win a gold on UB.
    Last edited by Cachoo; 07-31-2012 at 10:30 PM.

vCash
    Hey guys, just back - IT WAS AMAZING!

Gutted, gutted, GUTTED for Russia ... but not surprised

Huge congrats to the USA - they thoroughly deserved it!

I'm off for Birhtday drinks, so will report all tomorrow, but just thought I'd check in and confirm being at the team final was a brilliant experience.

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash
    I've been dying to see Maroney's vault, and finally found a link for it in case others missed it during the live streaming:

http://www.businessinsider.com/mckay...y-vault-2012-7

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Hey guys, just back - IT WAS AMAZING!

Gutted, gutted, GUTTED for Russia ... but not surprised

Huge congrats to the USA - they thoroughly deserved it!

I'm off for Birhtday drinks, so will report all tomorrow, but just thought I'd check in and confirm being at the team final was a brilliant experience.

So jealous of you right now! Happy birthday!
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Thanks Bostonfan! That vault was just sick!

Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast