Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 101 to 117 of 117
  1. #101

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    636
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    Way to go Charlotte Dujardin and Laura Bechtolsheimer for wining gold and bronze respectively in the dressage event. Loved Charlotte and Valegro's music - very patriotic and last night of the proms feel to it and done beautifully!!!

    23rd gold and 50th medal in total for Team GB
    I was feeling a bit emotional watching it, all that patriotic music and that beautiful backdrop and then we won the gold. Needless to say - tears fell!

  2. #102

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Home in England!!
    Posts
    2,236
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by alij View Post
    I was feeling a bit emotional watching it, all that patriotic music and that beautiful backdrop and then we won the gold. Needless to say - tears fell!
    Same here - I was just welling up

  3. #103
    Failing her snatch
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    The Isles Of Wonder :P
    Age
    42
    Posts
    16,439
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    5708
    Quote Originally Posted by alij View Post
    I was feeling a bit emotional watching it, all that patriotic music and that beautiful backdrop and then we won the gold. Needless to say - tears fell!
    I was trying hard not to cos I was in the company of someone who was at the whole thing grrr .... will go find on You Tube and have a sniffle
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

  4. #104

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    Age
    28
    Posts
    15,930
    vCash
    900
    Rep Power
    6662
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    Loved Charlotte and Valegro's music - very patriotic and last night of the proms feel to it and done beautifully!!!
    What was it again? Pomp and circumstance (or was that someone else...)? For me that's 100% wedding march music. It is beautiful.

    Loved watching the kür. It's breathtaking to see the horse move exactly to the music.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

  5. #105

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    out of the recliner at last
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,676
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4986
    Pomp and Circumstance is 100% graduation music for me. It is stately
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

  6. #106

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Home in England!!
    Posts
    2,236
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by suep1963 View Post
    Pomp and Circumstance is 100% graduation music for me. It is stately
    Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance has words set to it - 'Land of Hope and Glory' and is unofficially the anthem of England and is always played - along with 'I vow to Thee, My country' which Charlotte also had in her music - at the last night of the annual Prom series of concerts held at the Royal Albert Hall. The words to Land of Hope and Glory are as follows:

    'Land of hope and glory
    Mother of the free,
    How shall we extol thee,
    Who are born of thee.
    Wider still and wider
    Shall thy bounds be set,
    God who made thee mighty
    Make thee mightier yet
    God who made thee mighty
    Make thee mightier yet'


    Highly patriotic to GB and great music to use at a competition held in the UK - along with music from 'The Great Escape', 'Live and Let Die' and the chimes of Big Ben

  7. #107
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,694
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I always think of Macho Man Randy Savage.

  8. #108
    recovering Oly-holic
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the frozen, snowy north
    Posts
    1,236
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2042
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Yes, that's the two nerdy guys I was referring to.

    Watching the two riders back to back, I seriously doubt that Rath will ever bring out the best in Totilas.
    Sorry, didn't realize. They were nerdy but I learned a lot.

  9. #109
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    one two three almost
    Age
    48
    Posts
    2,522
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0
    Two questions

    1. Are some horse more musical than others?
    2. Do the horse not the riders get anything when they win?
    I want to thank you Lord for being with me so far this day. With your help, I have not been inpatient, lost my temper been grumpy or envious of anyone. But I will be getting out of bed in a minute and I think I will really need your help then. Amen

  10. #110
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,283
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance has words set to it - 'Land of Hope and Glory' and is unofficially the anthem of England and is always played - along with 'I vow to Thee, My country' which Charlotte also had in her music - at the last night of the annual Prom series of concerts held at the Royal Albert Hall. The words to Land of Hope and Glory are as follows:

    'Land of hope and glory
    Mother of the free,
    How shall we extol thee,
    Who are born of thee.
    Wider still and wider
    Shall thy bounds be set,
    God who made thee mighty
    Make thee mightier yet
    God who made thee mighty
    Make thee mightier yet'


    Highly patriotic to GB and great music to use at a competition held in the UK - along with music from 'The Great Escape', 'Live and Let Die' and the chimes of Big Ben
    Thank you for this!! I always mean to go and Google the lyrics for it and then I always end up getting sidetracked somehow. So Thanks!!

    Would this performance be up over at YouTube yet?

  11. #111
    Go Denmark!
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,596
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2418
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetB View Post
    Two questions

    1. Are some horse more musical than others?
    2. Do the horse not the riders get anything when they win?
    1)
    I don't want to say that some are more musical - at least I havn't seen it. However, some are definetly more showoffs than others, and gives that extra inch when there are lot of spectators

    2)
    not formally, usually. Sometimes a cooler (light fleece blanket), but that is more for the owner/rider to show off . Most riders give their horses extra treats after competition, for a job well done - not only if they win

  12. #112

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Cuddling the sheep smilie
    Posts
    8,961
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2886
    I also have a question for the dressage experts out there - do you think there was any home cooking with the scores? Charlotte Dujardin appeared to make a couple of mistakes and even the GB commentator was cautious about their chances of getting the gold after they'd gone. It seems the Dutch are wuzrobbing an awful lot.

  13. #113
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    530
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by millyskate View Post
    I also have a question for the dressage experts out there - do you think there was any home cooking with the scores? Charlotte Dujardin appeared to make a couple of mistakes and even the GB commentator was cautious about their chances of getting the gold after they'd gone. It seems the Dutch are wuzrobbing an awful lot.
    I'm not qualified to give an opinion on that, but I found remarkable that the German head coach diplomatically indicated, he thought Cornelissen should have won. Given the heavy rivalry between GER/NED dressage, I think the Dutch may have a point.

  14. #114
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,334
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    2316
    The Dutch are just whining because it was GER/NED forEVER in Dressage--there was seriously no possibility of anyone else winning. They're peeved none of them got a gimmee. Nobody had a flawless ride.

    I have to say, I hope this is the death of "Judges will be biased against me if I show FEI in a helmet."

  15. #115
    Re-registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Nowhere in particular
    Posts
    5,826
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    923
    I'm late to the discussion, but my husband competed in horse shows 30 years ago, and one of my best friends worked for two months for Ian Millar. She quit, because she couldn't stand the fact that he viciously rapped his horses in training (tiny nails in the board). I've never rooted for him, even though I'm a Canadian, because of that. If anyone's horse is hypersensitive in the forelegs, I want them disqualified. The animals can't tell us how they've been trained, so we must err on the side of protecting them.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

  16. #116
    Go Denmark!
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,596
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2418
    I do not attempt to understand the scores - I ride, and I could see many of the riders in teh 70s had trouble with passage-piaffe-passage, but the tops ones I can hardly spot the difference - and I feel I sometimes see something different than the judges...
    I didn't understand many of the artistic scores, the Freestyles with the music cuts all over the place drive me crazy

    I thought of the top 3 Laura rode the best, I liked the frame of the horse and her lightness, correct topline most of the time.
    I didn't like Adeline's ride at all, she looks so heavy in the hand.


    I *think* there is some home scoring, but since the judging is not anonymous, and they are usually reviewing the scores if there is huge differences, it is not as bad as it has been earlier.

  17. #117

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Cuddling the sheep smilie
    Posts
    8,961
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2886
    Ok thanks for the perspective people...It's interesting you enjoyed Laura's ride most, because so did I. I couldn't really understand what the top two did better.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •