Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash

Whoa!!! Nice horsey!! ~ The Equestrian Thread

I know here in Canada we're not getting much coverage of the Three Day Eventing...Well, not until today and one of our riders was thrown so hard during the Cross Country portion, she had to be taken to the hospital. She's got a bad concussion and fractured lower back/pelvis (I've heard both, so...), but she's going to be okay thankfully.

Anyway...Since there *is* Evening happening, I thought I'd start the thread.

The only link I can share is from the Front Page of The Royal Forums...

The Royal Forums ~ London 2012: A perfect round from Zara in cross-country

The Queen’s eldest granddaughter finished well inside the time frame with a final result of 9 minutes and 55.11 seconds, to the delight of the cheering crowd. Zara was also one of the few riders to go through the 5.7-kilometer course dotted with 28 obstacles without a single penalty. Her time of 9 minutes, 55.11 seconds — well off the 10-minute, 3-second time limit — was particularly good given that her horse, High Kingdom, lost two shoes during the ride.
    That makes it even more impressive!!

vCash
    I hope there's no bruising.

Sad for two of our Aussies eliminated today. Andrew Hoy on Rutherglen nearly gave me a heart attack on the downhill - Rutherglen was like, "Well, I'm gonna jump the next fence, but you better be off my neck and back in the saddle by that time"... Feet out of hte stirrups and everything.

I hope none of the horses/riders who fell yesterday were seriously injured. Although a fractured back/pelvis doesn't sound good.

attending the Mad Hatter's Tea Party at ISU Headquarters!
    vCash
    We're getting, for the US and NBC, pretty decent coverage. At least, if you have cable, it's good coverage. Dressage was on NBC Sports Network both Saturday & Sunday. I awoke this morning to the cross-country phase (got to see Zara compete!). I know it comes on again in a few hours, though I'll be dead asleep since I do need to pretend like work matters when I go in the next couple weeks, lol.

Zara had a great ride and was, justifiably, quite pleased. The course was absolutely beautiful, but had some difficult spots. It was really exciting to see this phase, which we don't see very often in the US and probably only saw thanks to Zara being Queen Elizabeth's granddaughter (NBC loves those shots of the British Royal Family in attendance at various events).
    Future FSUer to me before Gedevanishvili's SA 2010 SP - "Aunt Karen, what is she wearing?"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen-W View Post
    I know it comes on again in a few hours, though I'll be dead asleep since I do need to pretend like work matters when I go in the next couple weeks, lol.
    Nah, it's the Olympics. Work doesn't matter during the Olympics.

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    This is so nerve-wreckingly exciting! Wheee! I even upgraded my mobile internet connection so that I can watch this at work (work computer is without a bloody flash player and I don't have administrative rights to download it ).

ETA: Silver for team GB!
    Last edited by Hanna; 07-31-2012 at 01:12 PM.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash
    In Canada we have full coverage of the eventing, I watched it yesterday and this morning. It's on OLN. (maybe not everyone gets OLN, though, it is cable)

Nice competition and kudos for the last British rider.

The individual eventing will be on later this morning.

vCash
    Aragorn-Elessar, do you get OLN? This is Outdoor Life Network and is on Canadian Cable.

They've been showing all the cross country and all the jumping and clips of the dressage. I suspect that's where the rest of it will be. I've been watching it for 2 days.

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Well done Germany!

Wheee Team GB!
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

attending the Mad Hatter's Tea Party at ISU Headquarters!
    vCash
    Wow! Just watched the last several riders competing in the Individual Eventing and what an amazing finish! The last rider, from Sweden, lost the gold on the LAST fence!

And congratulations to the winner, Michael Jung, who is the first person to hold the World, Euro and Olympic titles at the same time!
    Future FSUer to me before Gedevanishvili's SA 2010 SP - "Aunt Karen, what is she wearing?"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by minuet View Post
    Aragorn-Elessar, do you get OLN? This is Outdoor Life Network and is on Canadian Cable.

They've been showing all the cross country and all the jumping and clips of the dressage. I suspect that's where the rest of it will be. I've been watching it for 2 days.
    Ahhh!!! Never even thought to check. Then again, didn't know it was on OLN. Thanks CTV for letting us know that particular bit of info.

Thanks minuet!! We do have it, but never watch it so didn't know until right now.

I did hear about GB's Team Silver and so happy for Zara!! After the heartbreak of having to w/draw from the last two Games, this has to be rather sweet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Ahhh!!! Never even thought to check. Then again, didn't know it was on OLN. Thanks CTV for letting us know that particular bit of info.

Thanks minuet!! We do have it, but never watch it so didn't know until right now.

I did hear about GB's Team Silver and so happy for Zara!! After the heartbreak of having to w/draw from the last two Games, this has to be rather sweet.
    And her mom gave her the medal - really sweet

vCash
    I knew Princess Anne was going to do that in advance as at the Royalty boards, all the talk was about how lovely it would be if Zara and the Team won a medal. And it happened!!

Now I just have to see it somewhere.

vCash
    Found this:

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...sey=nav%7Chead

Picture no. 2 (you may have to click to it) shows Princess Anne and Zara.

vCash

vCash
    I didn't realize OLN was broadcasting this though I saw some on the NBCSports channel. Dressage was my least favorite only because every rider and horse looked spectacular to me and I was clueless regarding how it is judged. I think today was my favorite as there was an Italian rider on a little (comparably) white mare and that little horse jumped everything without penalties and looked like she was ready to go around again. I did get to see Zara in that event as well. And I was happy to see the UK medal.

vCash
    Finally found the coverage on OLN and have been enjoying bits and pieces of it.

Are there more events to come, or is it coming to an end? I couldn't get through all 74 horses in the cross country, but would like to catch a bit of everything.

Too bad I missed the dressage, it's perhaps my favourite.

vCash
    Zara Phillips winning an Olympic medal is my favourite story of the Olympics so far. That her mother presented it to her is the cherry on the top of this sundae.

Three day eventing is one of the most difficult and dangerous equestrian sports. Christopher Reeves was parallized in a fall from his horse while eventing. Horses have died too. That Princess Anne and her daughter have both competed in this sport at the highest levels gives me great respect for them.

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Are there more events to come, or is it coming to an end?
    Eventing is done but the "specialized" dressage and jumping (both team and individual) are still to come.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Zara Phillips winning an Olympic medal is my favourite story of the Olympics so far. That her mother presented it to her is the cherry on the top of this sundae.

Three day eventing is one of the most difficult and dangerous equestrian sports. Christopher Reeves was parallized in a fall from his horse while eventing. Horses have died too. That Princess Anne and her daughter have both competed in this sport at the highest levels gives me great respect for them.
    Christopher Reeves RIP - should never have been out there on that horse, and he had a slew of people telling him that, including one of my trainers to whom he came for coaching. Terrible tragedy.

I though the eventing was awesome. Soo happy for Zara. The course though............goodness, I have never seen an eventing course where the crowds were so close to the course. And the footing seemed to be quite slippery in place. Wonderful and creative obstacles.

Here on the left coast we have terrible coverage. I can stream it.......but that is a lot of watching to do. (while trying to work)LOL.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Yay we won Team Bronze. really good from our New Zealand riders. Nicholson stepped up and performed really well considering how frustrated he was after the dressage. Mark Todd had the opportunity for a third Olympic Gold but his showjumping abilities weren't quite there.

Germany were amazing. Their ability to get horses that can score so well in Dressage and still perform so well in the cross country and show jumping is really something special. Great Britain were nearly as good too and showed particular class in the cross country.

I love three-day eventing. You could hold that competition in another month and the results could be so different.

---

The sport is dangerous but they have made changes especially in cross country. That use to be way more difficult and meant if your dressage score was higher (higher being worse in this instance) you still had a chance as cross country use to hurt a lot more riders.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast