Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    Well, Elena and Artur did try-out together before he paired with Natalia, so you're not digressing too much.
    Oh wow, I never knew that. I'm glad he ended up with Natalia and Oksana though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post

Also, I've heard references to a CanCan SP at the 1991 Euros that was scratched for a return to the dying Swan.
    I've seen a clip of the 1991 Euros SP, the music isn't the "CanCan" but it's along the same vein. The program isn't in the same league as "The Swan" or "Don Quixote", but one thing about the program is that Natalia's much more extroverted in the routine than she normally is. She did a great job of selling the program.
    After the judges told them to nix the routine, they probably could have made some modifications and turned it into a fairly decent exhibition.

vCash
    Somehow I thought that M&D skated their SP to CanCan in 1989......? Their SP was not shown on our TV, so I don't know what music they skated to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I remember the interview where she burst into to tears but I thought it was at the World Pros in Landover (Dick Button's Competition). I thought it was a live interview after they didn't win (she had bursitis in her foot) and Dmitriev said right on camera that he was thinking about looking for another partner. It could have been a recorded fluff piece, but this type of drama was typical at Landover. I remember Zhulin stalking out on Usova after a romantic performance and leaving her alone to get their scores. Nancy Kerrigan made her infamous statement about getting paid the same whether she skated well or not and she'd rather be a mother anyway. Usova/Platov walking past Gritschuk/Zhulin to embrace Punsalan/Swallow. Gritschuk/Zhulin skating to "Smooth Operator".

Amazing.

vCash
    I can safely say that M/D are one of my all-time favourites. There's been no-one like them before or since IMO. Funnily enough, my mother is also a big M/D fan - twenty years later and with basically no skating knowledge She only watches when I force her to, but she often says to me, "what are that pair up to, the Russian one with short hair who was really flexible?" All this after only seeing their 94 LP. Pretty impressive to convert someone into an uber just like that

(For the record, Rahkamo/Kokko had the same effect on her!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    I can safely say that M/D are one of my all-time favourites. There's been no-one like them before or since IMO. Funnily enough, my mother is also a big M/D fan - twenty years later and with basically no skating knowledge She only watches when I force her to, but she often says to me, "what are that pair up to, the Russian one with short hair who was really flexible?" All this after only seeing their 94 LP. Pretty impressive to convert someone into an uber just like that

Awww, I love your mom.

I seriously think Natalia M. is one of the most underrated pairs skaters. Her spirals were simply

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post

Say hello to you mom!
    I really fell in love again with pairs skating watching M/D.
    Mr. Finnice called him "The Thigh Man".

vCash
    Some M&D videos:
    1989 European Championships-Short Program
    1990 Tour of Champions Ex
    1995 St. Petersburg Exhibition, skating to Prelude.

They performed the same short program for the 1987-1988 season as well, but I've never seen the 1987-1988 LP. Does anyone know what music they skated to that season?

vCash
    speaking of Dmitriev, I can't even recognize how he looks like now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0naByEDZP4

vCash
    Added two more videos. The 1988 European Championship SP and the 1992 Olympic Exhibition to Don Quixote-featuring an impressive/dangerous looking spin around the 1:55 mark.
    The quality of the videos are not ideal, but I don't believe either of those performances have been uploaded to youtube before.

vCash
    Added two more videos. The 1988 European Championship SP and the 1992 Olympic Exhibition to Don Quixote-featuring an impressive/dangerous looking spin around the 1:55 mark.
    The quality of the videos are not ideal, but I don't believe either of those performances have been uploaded to youtube before.
    I love that SP (1988 Euros)! I had never seen it before. They look so young, and Artur looks a bit shorter than what I am used to seeing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Yes. I don't think Artur competed at Nagano, because he was disappointed with the silver at Lilehammer. Artur just enjoyed competing during that part of his life. B&S were the IT pair heading into Nagano; It was a fluke that they faltered on their last lift and that enabled D&K to skate to the gold.
    didnt he win the nagano gold with kazakova?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
    didnt he win the nagano gold with kazakova?
    Yes he was definitely there and they have the souvenir to prove it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Yes. I don't think Artur competed at Nagano, because he was disappointed with the silver at Lilehammer. Artur just enjoyed competing during that part of his life. B&S were the IT pair heading into Nagano; It was a fluke that they faltered on their last lift and that enabled D&K to skate to the gold.
    i sure don't know where you get your info but get your facts straight first please before posting something like this.

vCash
    Just so we're clear, orbitz was responding to my question about whether or not we think Dmitriev would compete in Nagano were he a two time OGM. He (she?) responded yes, based on the perception that Dmitriev loved to compete.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I love that SP (1988 Euros)! I had never seen it before. They look so young, and Artur looks a bit shorter than what I am used to seeing.
    I wish their LP from that year was online. Their 1986-1987 programs as well. In 1988 they aren't quite "there" yet, but you can already see some of the qualities in their skating-the speed, twist lift, side by side spins that would make them a great pair team.
    The late 1980s was such an exciting time for Soviet pair skating, when you had G&G, V&V and S&M in the top three spots, with M&D, S&N,B&P and other pairs coming up the ranks. It's pretty amazing to think of how deep the pairs field was at the time-despite being 2 time European bronze medalists, and repeat champions at Skate America, M&D didn't get a chance to compete at Worlds until 1990.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Just so we're clear, orbitz was responding to my question about whether or not we think Dmitriev would compete in Nagano were he a two time OGM. He (she?) responded yes, based on the perception that Dmitriev loved to compete.
    i reread that, and oh well, a matter of punctuation that skewed my perception of that reply i guess

vCash
    I wish their LP from that year was online. Their 1986-1987 programs as well. In 1988 they aren't quite "there" yet, but you can already see some of the qualities in their skating-the speed, twist lift, side by side spins that would make them a great pair team.
    The late 1980s was such an exciting time for Soviet pair skating, when you had G&G, V&V and S&M in the top three spots, with M&D, S&N,B&P and other pairs coming up the ranks. It's pretty amazing to think of how deep the pairs field was at the time-despite being 2 time European bronze medalists, and repeat champions at Skate America, M&D didn't get a chance to compete at Worlds until 1990.
    I miss those days. In this SP video from the 1988 Euro SP, they already had excellent unison, extensions, and creativity. They really had it all, and if not for the tough competition in the USSR pairs field, we might have seen them compete at the 1988 worlds and/or Olympics. However, there was no way the USSR would have selected them over reigning Olympic champions V&V and 1984 Olympic bronze medallists Selezneva-Makarov (G&G were a lock, being reigning two time world champions and almost a lock for the OGM). I have always lamented not being able to see M&D skate much longer. The first time I ever saw them was at the 1988 Skate America, which they won. They were so unique, although not as polished as they became in 1991, that they were very interesting to watch, regardless of where they placed.

vCash
    For M&D fans, this article is 2-years old, but I haven't seen it posted.

digital.publicationprinters.com/publication/repo25/12097/69151/69151-10.pdf

(I hope the link works. I tried to make a "tinyurl," but it didn't work. It's Skating Magazine April 2011. Author article is Lois ELFMAN.)

vCash
    The link did not work for me, but thanks for posting.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast