Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    OMG the bit at the end where he is throwing his baby around!

Here is one of their professional performances

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-40q...eature=related
    Inspite of the criticism by Bezic (the most biased commentator) and the low marks by the judges, I thought this was a beautiful program to a beautiful piece of music.

Here is a performance that I had never seen before. It's from Skates of Gold in 1994

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...z3b_tA9ps&NR=1
    Last edited by Vash01; 08-12-2012 at 08:17 PM.

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nDE2TWcv_4

Here is another one of M&D's exhibition (1992). IMO they were a very underrated team for what they could do. I liked the fact that Artur was as important in this pair as Natalia was. He was not just a frame showcasing a picture. His passion and their creativity made them a very exciting pair.

As fans we got to see two greatest pairs M&D and G&G competing at the same time (1989-1990 and 1994), with two completely different styles. I feel very lucky.

Another thing I really appreciated about M&D was their class. At the 1994 Olympics many felt that they skated better than G&G but at the medal ceremony they were very classy (and so were G&G). It was the best Olympic pairs competition in every respect I have seen, ever.
    Last edited by Vash01; 08-12-2012 at 08:32 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gk_891 View Post
    Artistically, I also found M/D much more interesting than G/G. There was a great beauty to G/G's Moonlight Sonata program but it also bored me to a certain extent. The problem with M/D was with some of their basics. Their stroking was much noisier than G/G who you can barely hear when they skate by whereas with M/D, you can really hear them digging and scratching into the ice. Artur always traveled on the side by side spins, Natalia almost always two footed her double axel, and their lifts were much simpler. G/G skated a nervous and flawed performance but their basics were so much better than M/D. It's to my understanding that this was the difference between the Moscow and St. Petersburg camp (technical perfection vs. artistic perfection).
    Natalia did not double foot her 2A here (94 SP). She often struggled with it in practice but she almost always delivered it in competitions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYehy...feature=relmfu

In all the discussions, people don't mention how good M&D's extensions were, and how great the unison on sbs spins. Their basic skating was not as great(quiet) as G&G's but they were much more creative in their choreography. I really don't know which pair I like better. They were both great in their own way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Who are Natalia's students? Do they compete at the international level?
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalia_Mishkutenok
    wiki says: One of her students is the U.S. men's 2009 novice silver medalist Stevan Evans. don't know if this is out of date
    Natalia M. co-coached Steven Evans to a U.S. Junior Men's pewter medal at 2011 Nationals and he competed at one JGP a couple of years ago - link to his bio: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...=100827&mode=I
    Evans finished 5th in Senior Men at Midwestern Sectionals last season (just missed qualifying for 2012 Nationals) and hasn't competed this summer, AFAIK. The skaters she's coaching this season appear to be Intermediate level and below. Her daughter, Natasha, is at the Pre-Preliminary level.

this icenetwork article is quite old.
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

i believe there was a more recent ice network article as well, where she was asked why all the russian pairs had problems at 2012 worlds--that article mentions her more recent students.
    Found it - April 2012 "Inside Edge" blog: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
    Mishkutenok has a 6-year-old daughter, Natasha, who is a skater. (She competed last weekend, the proud mother told us). In addition to her daughter, Mishkutenok is coaching a big stable of young skaters, including 2011 U.S. junior pewter medalist Steven Evans.

"When I moved here, I picked up all the little kids, and I started with him when he was 10, in learn-to-skate classes," Mishkutenok said. "I have a lot of kids that just graduated and went to college. I have little ones that just started skating with me this summer."

We wondered if the great pairs skater was coaching any up-and-coming pairs teams. She said she was, mostly younger teams.

"I have pair teams, but it's so hard to keep them together," she said. "One little boy likes doing pairs, but he does soccer and football; he has so many sports going on. Or one person gets unhappy and then that's it. We have a lot of recreational skaters and we have a lot of singles skaters, really good kids, but there aren't a lot of older kids that keep skating."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    I love this, one of their last :
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5f...?search_algo=2.

One of the commentators mentions the importance of ballet training for MD and other Russian pairs.
    Thank you so much for the link. I was looking everywhere for this program, considering that it's 1995, this is probably the very last skating appearance by M&D.

M&D are my favorite skaters. I just love how unique they were: their innovative choreography, performance style and on-ice chemistry was unlike any other top level pair at the time. In addition to their speed and spirals, I would also mention that they (especially Artur) had great musicality. They were just

The step sequence in 2nd Piano Concerto and the death spiral sequence (especially Natalia's positions) in Liebestraum are just X infinity.

I'm glad the decided to skate to Rachmaninoff, but I would love to have seen their interpretation of Swan Lake as well.

I thought they should have won the 1994 OGM, but I can understand the logic behind the argument that G&G should have won. What I don't understand, was the decision by the one or two judges to mark M&D behind B&E.
    Last edited by lulu; 09-05-2012 at 07:44 PM.

vCash
    In Katia's book she admits to noticing that the crowd cheered louder for M&D at the 94 medal ceremony and that it made her sad. I always admired her honesty about that.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    The step sequence in 2nd Piano Concerto and the death spiral sequence (especially Natalia's positions) in Liebestraum are just X infinity.
    Those are my favorite moments in each program too. That driving step sequence down the rink in the Rachmaninoff is so powerful, I love the way it's choreographed.

vCash
    Natalia is a vey nice person. I wish that M/D could have stayed together. It's too bad when personal issues get in the way of beautiful skating pairs. If that is true in the case of M/D.

vCash
    Liebestraum was my favorite program from them. The series of death spirals at the end expressed the music so beautifully. I don't think that would "fly" under CoP, which is a shame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    Liebestraum was my favorite program from them. The series of death spirals at the end expressed the music so beautifully. I don't think that would "fly" under CoP, which is a shame.
    COP has taken away artistry from pairs skating.

vCash
    I fell in love with skating because of them and Natalyia'seyes and her plasticity. Built my life upon that Love them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Elochka View Post
    I fell in love with skating because of them and Natalyia'seyes and her plasticity. Built my life upon that Love them.
    I know what you mean. They were a fantastic pairs team. On a more shallow note, I really loved Natalia's short hair cut for the 1993-1994 season. Actually almost everything about the season: the programs, the costumes was divine.
    Welcome to FSU!

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Artur was the first male skater I fell in love with - not just his looks (he was pretty good looking back then) but more for his energy and presence and the gorgeous relaxed way he has of moving on the ice

I've loved many since then, but he was the first
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    I know what you mean. They were a fantastic pairs team. On a more shallow note, I really loved Natalia's short hair cut for the 1993-1994 season. Actually almost everything about the season: the programs, the costumes was divine.
    Welcome to FSU!
    I agree - I thought the packages of their programs that season were fabulous.

I liked how Natalia didn't have a ballet dancers figure but was still incredibly elegant and had such beautiful presentation and posture.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I remember the interview where she burst into to tears but I thought it was at the World Pros in Landover (Dick Button's Competition). I thought it was a live interview after they didn't win (she had bursitis in her foot) and Dmitriev said right on camera that he was thinking about looking for another partner. It could have been a recorded fluff piece, but this type of drama was typical at Landover. I remember Zhulin stalking out on Usova after a romantic performance and leaving her alone to get their scores. Nancy Kerrigan made her infamous statement about getting paid the same whether she skated well or not and she'd rather be a mother anyway. Usova/Platov walking past Gritschuk/Zhulin to embrace Punsalan/Swallow. Gritschuk/Zhulin skating to "Smooth Operator". I think that is why skating was more popular in the 90's it was more adult themed.

I thought that the reason Mishketunok/Dmietriev finally split was because he wanted to compete at another Olympics and she didn't. I had read an interview with Moskvina that they both got fat when they weren't competing and that he smoked like a chimney. I saw him in COI with Kazokova and he had a distinct beer gut.
    Last edited by aliceanne; 09-10-2012 at 07:58 PM.

vCash
    I miss M&D so much! May be because their career ended so quickly and suddenly. They were trailblazers, in my opinion because they changed the way pairs performed. Her flexibility gave them many opportunities to create beautiful pictures, and Artur's passion brought him into focus along side his partner, instead of staying in the background.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I remember the interview where she burst into to tears but I thought it was at the World Pros in Landover (Dick Button's Competition). I thought it was a live interview after they didn't win (she had bursitis in her foot) and Dmitriev said right on camera that he was thinking about looking for another partner. It could have been a recorded fluff piece, but this type of drama was typical at Landover. I remember Zhulin stalking out on Usova after a romantic performance and leaving her alone to get their scores. Nancy Kerrigan made her infamous statement about getting paid the same whether she skated well or not and she'd rather be a mother anyway. Usova/Platov walking past Gritscuk/Zhulin to embrace Punsalan/Swallow. Gritschuk/Zhulin skating to "Smooth Operater". I think that is why skating was more popular in the 90's it was more adult themed.

I thought that the reason Mishketuniok/Dmietriev finally split was because he wanted to compete at another Olympics and she didn't. I had read an interview with Moskvina that they both got fat when they weren't competing and that he smoked like a chimney. I saw him in COI with Kasokova and he had a distinct beer gut.
    at this whole thing!!

vCash
    I remember the interview where she burst into to tears but I thought it was at the World Pros in Landover (Dick Button's Competition). I thought it was a live interview after they didn't win (she had bursitis in her foot) and Dmitriev said right on camera that he was thinking about looking for another partner. It could have been a recorded fluff piece, but this type of drama was typical at Landover. I remember Zhulin stalking out on Usova after a romantic performance and leaving her alone to get their scores. Nancy Kerrigan made her infamous statement about getting paid the same whether she skated well or not and she'd rather be a mother anyway. Usova/Platov walking past Gritschuk/Zhulin to embrace Punsalan/Swallow. Gritschuk/Zhulin skating to "Smooth Operator". I think that is why skating was more popular in the 90's it was more adult themed.
    Ah how I do miss those days! Don't forget Oksana Baiul and her antics at the World Pro.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagano Forever View Post
    Ah how I do miss those days! Don't forget Oksana Baiul and her antics at the World Pro.
    Not to mention you never knew what kind of program Denise Biellmann would come up with. Plus you got to see Robin Cousins year after year.

vCash

I thought that the reason Mishketunok/Dmietriev finally split was because he wanted to compete at another Olympics and she didn't. I had read an interview with Moskvina that they both got fat when they weren't competing and that he smoked like a chimney. I saw him in COI with Kazokova and he had a distinct beer gut.
    Nothing beats the early 90s (especiallyin ice dance!) for both skating and backstage drama.

Does anyone know why M&D, or G&G for that matter, didn't compete at the 1994 World Championships?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast