vCash

Shawn Johnson on Body Image

Universal Sports has an interview with Shawn Johnson where she talks about her struggles with body image. I liked the article a lot.

http://universalsports.com/2012/07/2...-says-johnson/

vCash
    i really like shawn- she has her head about her and really is a great ambassador for the sport- i know it must be hard to be there and not compete - loved watching her compete and love hearing about her now- thanks for the link

vCash
    I especially liked this answer -

REUTERS: Your rivalry with Nastia in gymnastics was often hyped up and you were often on the podium together. At any point did you ever wish you had a figure like Nastia?

JOHNSON: “Sometimes I did just because I knew that’s what some people wanted. But it’s not what I wanted. I wanted it for them. I didn’t want it for me. I liked my body, I liked my power, I liked my strength. But I knew if I looked like her, then some of the higher authorities would be happier.”
    I think Shawn could be a good ambassador to talk to young gymnasts.

a monkey stole my title
    vCash
    I give her major props for being so vocal about her experiences; I think she legitimately wants to help other young gymnasts and hopefully she will. I really like that she is not blaming any one entity- she seems to have really thought about the problem and what she can do to help.

vCash
    Seriously, Johnson seems to be attention whoring for herself. As in every sport, body type is essential in gymnastics and really, she can't complain too much about this sport because she really would have sucked in high jump, shot put or volleyball. She can't ignore that it was her body type that enabled her do throw the difficulty she had while Liukin's gave her amplitude and better lines. Its a trade-off, and to totally ignore the advantages you get while labelling the disadvantages as unfair, is cheap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzy View Post
    Seriously, Johnson seems to be attention whoring for herself. As in every sport, body type is essential in gymnastics and really, she can't complain too much about this sport because she really would have sucked in high jump, shot put or volleyball. She can't ignore that it was her body type that enabled her do throw the difficulty she had while Liukin's gave her amplitude and better lines. Its a trade-off, and to totally ignore the advantages you get while labelling the disadvantages as unfair, is cheap.
    I didn't think she did complain. I didn't think she labeled anything. I thought she spoke honestly about her own personal feelings when she was asked questions about her situation. You certainly had a different reaction to the interview than I did.