Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast
    vCash
    I didn't see any scores shown of the team (only showed individual scores) until the very end of the nbc broadcast.

vCash
    Are you guys all aware that by installing the free "Expat Shield" software on your computer (a matter of 30 seconds), you can watch wonderful BBC coverage?
    The replay of yesterday's competition is available as well.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millyskate View Post
    Are you guys all aware that by installing the free "Expat Shield" software on your computer (a matter of 30 seconds), you can watch wonderful BBC coverage?
    I'm using a proxy and by God, the BBC commentators are soooo much better than NBC's! I'm actually learning sh!t!

vCash
    I am so pleased I am back here in Britain for the Olympics - seeing full live coverage is something I had forgotten about after living in the US for 20+ years. It would have been really shitty not being able to see the competition as it played out.

Still on a high from the events of yesterday - loving seeing the 5 brits being interviewed by all and sundry - they are 5 very grounded young men and are a credit to their parents and coaches and great ambassadors for their sport.

Way to go boys

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I'm using a proxy and by God, the BBC commentators are soooo much better than NBC's! I'm actually learning sh!t!
    Yes that'll happen!

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Do you know if Expat Shield is compatible with Macs?
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Also, Unotelly.com is running a free Olympics proxy promo!

vCash
    Do you have a link? I googled it and a few links came up and I don't want to download the wrong thing...

Title-less
    vCash
    What bothered me was they didnt even show the injured Japanese gymnast and tell us how he was doing

vCash
    That--yes. By that time, there should have been an update.
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Well, China deserves their win. I wish they'd bring back the pretty lines and form more though.

But I must say this. The Chinese team (who used to be so stretched and graceful) used to have me nervousing because they always looked so fragile as a team by the Olympics, causing them to lose 1996 and other team golds. But they really showed some mental toughness these days. I mean, beating Japan on their home turf at last year's world and then repeating as gold medalist here.
    So true. This is not the first time the Chinese men falter in prelims, only to deliver when it mattered in the finals. Now if only the Chinese women had their mentality... I know, I know, one can always dream

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    Do you have a link? I googled it and a few links came up and I don't want to download the wrong thing...
    One of the results should be from cnet.com. Use that one.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Live stream here, no comments, good quality:
    http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-4/2/104/v-430464.html
    WARNING: The software that I had to install when I went to this site TOTALLY KILLED my computer!! It opened the floodgates for all kinds of malware. . . dh had to just tell my computer to forget that day and go back to the way it was a day earlier. . .
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Well that was a bit of a downer. But yay for China and Great Britain. Japan were lucky in that difficulty rewarded outdoes execution. I'm glad they won silver but not with those performances. Crushing for Ukraine but not Japans fault. Also Russians were lovely but disappointed they could not medal.

We had Shannon Miller again. She was brilliant but I haven't been overly impressed with how many routines are being missed. There was no way of seeing why the Americans went downhill we never saw the falls nor Russia except for Vault. I hope the Russians have a stellar AA and excel in the event finals. Their gymnastics is impressive.

Haven't watched womens yet so kinda dangerous even entering any thread but hopefully the results were good and the coverage better. And I know for sure once these Olympics are over I'm going to check out all the gymnastics again.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    ^ love Shannon, really love Shannon, but today was something new.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    I have a feeling Uchimura will get a Karma in AA or with judges at least
    I hope not. I expect not. None of this was Uchimura's fault. And according to the gymnastics code of points, if you get your handstand up to a certain angle - I think it's 60 degrees - it's a handstand, no matter how crappy it is. So if the Japanese team's protest was that this was a handstand that had not been counted, and on review it was shown that Uchimura did hit that angle no matter how bad looking, then there you go - but none of it was Uchimura's fault.
    Last edited by GarrAarghHrumph; 08-01-2012 at 03:15 PM.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    And according to the gymnastics code of points, if you get your handstand up to a certain angle - I think it's 60 degrees - it's a handstand, no matter how crappy it is.

It's official then. Form does need to be counted and valued more in gymnastics. That's the worst example of a "handstand" I've EVER seen and shouldn't have been acceptable, IMO!

vCash
    They did not argue that he did a crappy dismount. Fact is, whatever he did, it was terrible. As I understand it, the Japanese protest involved whether this was a dismount or a fall. I understand that at first, he was scored with a fall, not a dismount. Upon review, the officials felt he had enough control (for example, getting past a certain level of handstand (no matter how poorly), showing a level of support in his turn, crossing the pommel horse, and landing on two feet) that it was actually a dismount, which upped the D (difficulty) score.

Others more in the know can, of course, comment on this one. This is as I understand it.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    They did not argue that he did a crappy dismount. Fact is, whatever he did, it was terrible. As I understand it, the Japanese protest involved whether this was a dismount or a fall. I understand that at first, he was scored with a fall, not a dismount. Upon review, the officials felt he had enough control (for example, getting past a certain level of handstand (no matter how poorly), showing a level of support in his turn, crossing the pommel horse, and landing on two feet) that it was actually a dismount, which upped the D (difficulty) score.

Others more in the know can, of course, comment on this one. This is as I understand it.
    That's how Shewfelt described it on CTV. He said they brought in eight senior, experienced judges for the review, and he saw them watch it in various degrees of slo mo at least ten times. He also said that they were looking at it from a different angle than the broadcast feed.

What I didn't understand was that I think he said that the difference between having it called a fall vs. a dismount was that a fall would knock .5 off the difficulty score, but later said after the review, Uchimura's score was raised by .7.

As you can see from the date-stamp, I'm really far behind. However, I have only four words about the Men's team final:

Chen Yibing on Rings
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    What I didn't understand was that I think he said that the difference between having it called a fall vs. a dismount was that a fall would knock .5 off the difficulty score, but later said after the review, Uchimura's score was raised by .7.
    :
    The dismount has to count as one of your elements. If you don't do a dismount, or attempt one but didn't get credit for it, you can only count 9 elements. Or if you bail and do an easier dismount, you still have to count that value part even if you had another higher valued element in the routine.

Since Uchimura's D score was raised by .7 I'm guessing that his original evaluation gave him credit for a B dismount (which would mean a loss of .5 in D score for the requirement). If they gave back a D dismount, it would replace the B with a D (.2 difference) then an additional .5 for meeting the dismount composition requirement, for a total of .7.

Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast