Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash

Smile 20 Years Ago This Month At The Barcelona Games...

I just saw the feature and then interview w/Derek Redmond and his Dad CTV did to mark the 20th Anniversary of that day at the Track in Barcelona and Derek ended up w/a hamstring injury. After it happpened and he collasped to the track, he got back up and began to hobble the rest of the way to the finish line. Just as he rounded the turn, what looked like a spectator out of the crowd just flew out to Derek's side, was his Dad. They finished the race together.

Many look back on that as one of those incredable Olympic Moments and it is, but it's not the only memorable moment of those Games 20 years ago. There was another one that wasn't just memorable, but never should have happened from a medical standpoint and provided Canada w/a Golden Bronze in Rowing Single Sculls.

It doesn't seem that long ago all of Canada was rooting for Silken Laumann to prove the doctors wrong and the dream of her getting back in her boat and achieving her dream wasn't just a dream. Most people would end up having to take years to just get back to walking normally after the type of injury she had, but there she was in Barcelona. Just like she told her Doctor she would be.

For those who don't know the story...In May of that year, at a regatta in Europe, there was a horrible accident. Silken's boat ended up getting rammed by another boat. She's said she knew it was bad when she took her first look at her leg in the water and the calf muscle wasn't just visible, but was barely attached to her ankle.

The doctors told her she'd never be in Barcelona, but she believed in herself and told them she not only would be there, but would also be competitive too. And was she ever!!

There seems to be an awful lot of looking back at Barcelona or mentioning it w/certain CTV analysts this past week, but I haven't heard any mention of Silken's unbelieveable accomplishment. IMO, it should be. Especially since it's one of those things for many Canadians of knowing *exactly* what they were doing and/or where they were at that moment in time.

Anyway...Just thought I'd mark the Anniversary in here.

vCash
    I'm tearing up just reading your post. I was 9 years old and my dad woke me up to tell me as it was early morning here. My sister and I had been following Silken's story for a couple of months.

Amazing achievement and she was a wonderful choice to carry the flag in the closing ceremony, despite the fact we had several gold medalists.