vCash

The Battler's Thread (following in Erik the Eel's footsteps)

We need a thread for those who embody the true Olympic spirit. They come last but they put a smile on our face and you cheer them on for giving it a go.

First nomination is the Nigerian Rower Hamadou Djibo Issaka.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8507424
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I find it all a bit patronising myself.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I don't find it patronizing.

There are some athletes who are there to challenge for the gold, and others who are there only to participate.

If this is supposed to be the world's game- the world should get to participate (though I thought Eddie the Eagle essentially got rules put in place that required expertise so these stories can't happen so much). I think it is fantastic to see athletes who don't have all the advantages doing the best they can do.

Thanks for sharing the article about the rower. With only 3 months experience- wow! That has got to be intimidating.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I'm not talking about the athletes. I'm talking about the coverage of them in the media, much of it is of the variety of "isn't it funny how crap they are" variety.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Wrong post...
    Last edited by Domshabfan; 07-30-2012 at 02:37 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I'm not talking about the athletes. I'm talking about the coverage of them in the media, much of it is of the variety of "isn't it funny how crap they are" variety.
    I didn't find the article patronising. They focussed on how much people cheered him and got behind him. In fact we need stories like this to show that it isn't always about the gold medals and it gives the Olympics some heart and soul.

Try the Australian media going on about a team that came fourth in a swimming relay. That is patronising.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.