Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    There's no way a world class athlete would eat carpet. Carpet is synthetic material, is it not? I would guess the Japanese eat a lot of vegetables and tofu.

That is called gaydar. If your ears can pick up a faggy sounding voice, then your gaydar is working and you know that the person in question is a big fat homo. Or, in the case of the Olympics, a slender, toned, muscular, glistening, steamy, HAWT, fine-assed, Sex-God(dess). Oops. Did I sound gay saying that??
    No, but your post was more offensive than anything I read on the Scientology thread.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    There's no way a world class athlete would eat carpet. Carpet is synthetic material, is it not? I would guess the Japanese eat a lot of vegetables and tofu.
    elite athletes in a rich nation like japan obviously only munch 100% virgin wool carpet. Duh. Carl Lewis says the scotch guard coating gives them a dope advantage though.
    . Did I sound gay saying that??
    Peter was the first tip off. If you were straight you'd go by PeteG. I know because I read "How to Spot a Lesser Gay". It's rule #49 on page 87.

vCash
    I suspect that PeterG was sarcastic.

Being heterosexual and therefore, not able to completely understand the reason why it is important for role models such as athletes or actors or other public figures to be out/recognized for who they are sexually, I wish that the whole hetero/homo sexual issue be a non-issue. That people could be seen with their romantic interests without judgement, that PDAs if acceptable for heterosexual would be acceptable for homosexuals. That endorsements were equal for hetero vs. homosexual, for male vs. female, all sports vs. selected sports, but then marketing people didn't ask me.

Frankly, I wish that we would use the terms Heterosexual and Homosexual rather than straight and gay. I understand that is my personal preference and probably can not understand why others feel the terms straight or gay as the appropriate designation.

I think the reason it is so difficult for athletes to come out, is the personal closeness of locker rooms, rooming arrangements, etc. If we have separate locker rooms/rooming arrangement for male vs. female for the reason that sexual attraction "could" occur, it makes the powers that be uncomfortable with how they set up shared facilities.

I think we should be able to be who we are without judgement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post

Being heterosexual and therefore, not able to completely understand the reason why it is important for role models such as athletes or actors or other public figures to be out/recognized for who they are sexually, I wish that the whole hetero/homo sexual issue be a non-issue. That people could be seen with their romantic interests without judgement, that PDAs if acceptable for heterosexual would be acceptable for homosexuals. That endorsements were equal for hetero vs. homosexual, for male vs. female, all sports vs. selected sports, but then marketing people didn't ask me.

Frankly, I wish that we would use the terms Heterosexual and Homosexual rather than straight and gay. I understand that is my personal preference and probably can not understand why others feel the terms straight or gay as the appropriate designation.

I think the reason it is so difficult for athletes to come out, is the personal closeness of locker rooms, rooming arrangements, etc. If we have separate locker rooms/rooming arrangement for male vs. female for the reason that sexual attraction "could" occur, it makes the powers that be uncomfortable with how they set up shared facilities.

I think we should be able to be who we are without judgement.
    It is entirely about the context. Homosexual has almost negative or medical connotations, in that they are used to Other us or dismiss us or demean us. Gay is our term and it's our positive term. There are a lot of label issues. For example, the fight over whether we should, or even can, reclaim queer. I support reclaiming queer as a positive term of inclusion, but I completely understand why many oppose it and only see it as a form of hatespeech.

As for why it's important for people to be out: it's all about visibility. I believe that 1) it's important to be out, and 2) it's reprehensible to out someone without their permission. Being out can endanger your life and your livelihood. In the US, you can be fired for being gay, you can be denied housing, etc. There is a lot of legal discrimination, and we're never going to end that discrimination if being gay is seen as a sickness or illness that can and should be cured -- another reason for the push-back against the term homosexual, which mostly gets used as a derogatory way of speaking about us and how we should be fixed.

I think the only time it's might be okay to out somebody is as a form of self-defense: if someone is actively hurting gay people by their policies or speeches, then outting them is a way of rebuting their statements. But it's nothing to be done lightly.

Because, yeah, it should be no big deal to be out... but it's not. It can really mess up your life, destroy your career, and put you in danger, and that needs to be taken seriously. Outing somebody is never innocent and it's never harmless. If general-you believe somebody "should" be out, then it's general-your responsibility to make the world a good enough place so that they feel comfortable being out.
    The Junior Grand Prix: Where skaters who "come out of nowhere" come from.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanna View Post
    It is entirely about the context. Homosexual has almost negative or medical connotations, in that they are used to Other us or dismiss us or demean us. Gay is our term and it's our positive term. There are a lot of label issues. For example, the fight over whether we should, or even can, reclaim queer. I support reclaiming queer as a positive term of inclusion, but I completely understand why many oppose it and only see it as a form of hatespeech.
    I can see why you'd feel that way about the term "homosexual" and prefer "gay" and I've heard others express similar feelings but, just out of curiosity, how do you feel about the term "straight"? I feel uncomfortable using that term, because I feel like it implies that preferring the opposite sex is somehow the right or normal thing, but I don't know of another term other than "heterosexual" and it seems strange to use the terms "heterosexual" and "gay" (although I would use the terms bisexual and asexual, so maybe "gay" is the one that doesn't fit with the rest). I don't want to use the term homosexual if it's not well-liked, but using an informal term for that and formal terms for other sexual orientations also seems odd. Almost as though by not using the formal term I'd be singling them out as "other."

I don't actually use any of those terms very often, but would be curious to hear other people's thoughts.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    It wasn't obvious? How much over the top can I get from OVER-THE-TOP?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Speaking of Megan Rapinoe, here's a picture of her and her girlfriend, Australian player Sarah Walsh celebrating the USA's win:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/mega...rably-enjoy-he

I think she's awesome; on and off the court. She always brings extra energy to the US team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanna View Post
    Because, yeah, it should be no big deal to be out... but it's not. It can really mess up your life, destroy your career, and put you in danger, and that needs to be taken seriously. Outing somebody is never innocent and it's never harmless. If general-you believe somebody "should" be out, then it's general-your responsibility to make the world a good enough place so that they feel comfortable being out.
    I like to think that I am. But maybe I am not. I don't know

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Speaking of Megan Rapinoe, here's a picture of her and her girlfriend, Australian player Sarah Walsh celebrating the USA's win:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/mega...rably-enjoy-he

I think she's awesome; on and off the court. She always brings extra energy to the US team.
    CUTE!!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234