Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    No one since Greg has been famous in the us because, duh, Greg was the last one to win.
    Greg is before my time-Barcelona is the first summer games I remember- but I only know who is he is because he hit his head on a diving board and was HIV positive. I actually didn't know he won a Gold medal. I probably only know his story though because he did win one, but that part was never communicated well.

I could name some current divers before the Olympics started, but I loosely follow diving (have seen it in person) so I don't think I count.

vCash
    He only was on the cover of Newsweek and People and had a tv movie staring Mario Lopez made about his life. Do your clueless friends know who Dorothy hamil and Mary Lou reton are, since they're obviously the standard for all fame.
    No one since Greg has been famous in the us because, duh, Greg was the last one to win.
    My "clueless friends" follow all sorts of sports, some know skaters, some don't. But those athletes not in the news, or on our screens, enough, don't get enough recognition to get endorsements. It's as simple as that. Your example was kind of ridiculous - I asked "Is diving popular in the US or UK" and you give an answer of a diver who hasn't competed for many years...who cares if diving *was* popular, Greg's gold doesn't make it currently popular.

vCash
    Seriously? Greg has 4 OGMs. He's the only guy in the history of the sport to ever do this. Could have been 6 had carter not boycotted moscow. He's widely considered the greatest diver of all time. He's one of the most famous Olympians of all time. It boggles the mind that people keep brushing him off like he's Sarah Hughes or something.

Here's an article about Greg at these London olys in case any of your friends want to be edjamacated http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blog...-olympics.html

Btw 24 years after his last gold he's still has endorsements, like with red bull.
    Last edited by berthesghost; 07-31-2012 at 03:03 PM.

vCash
    Seriously? Greg has 4 OGMs. He's the only guy in the history of the sport to ever do this. Could have been 6 had carter not boycotted moscow. He's widely considered the greatest diver of all time. He's one of the most famous Olympians of all time. It boggles the mind that people keep brushing him off like he's Sarah Hughes or something.
    Having been around at the time I agree with you that Louganis was very well-known and pretty popular in the U.S. at the height of his career (L.A. 1984, Seoul 1988). At least this was true for anyone who remotely followed the Summer Olympics. But back to the Ziggy's original point, Louganis did not come out until the 1990s, after his career as a diver was basically over. And I seem to recall that either in his book or during the publicity around his book, he talked about homophobia in the sport, or in sports in general ... though it was a bit overshadowed by his personal issues and the brouhaha about his being HIV positive when he hit his head, etc. (Hard to believe it now, but that was considered pretty shocking news at the time.)

vCash
    Uh, no. Mark Lenzi won in 1992, Laura Wilkinson in 2000.

Greg was Greg, though. And he was pretty well known in the US. He did not come out, however, until well after his competitive career was over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1227 View Post
    Having been around at the time I agree with you that Louganis was very well-known and pretty popular in the U.S. at the height of his career (L.A. 1984, Seoul 1988). At least this was true for anyone who remotely followed the Summer Olympics. But back to the Ziggy's original point, Louganis did not come out until the 1990s, after his career as a diver was basically over. And I seem to recall that either in his book or during the publicity around his book, he talked about homophobia in the sport, or in sports in general ... though it was a bit overshadowed by his personal issues and the brouhaha about his being HIV positive when he hit his head, etc. (Hard to believe it now, but that was considered pretty shocking news at the time.)
    Ita and he did lose many endorsements after his book and outing himself as both gay and positive. Before that he was a rockstar. But angel's questions were if a diver any diver could be popular inthe us. Greg was. And the times have changed. Look at Johnny. Not even an oly bronze or WC and he's everywhere, glitter dust halo and all.

vCash
    But angel's questions were if a diver any diver could be popular inthe us. Greg was.
    Yes, I agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1227 View Post
    Yes, I agree.
    My question was is diving popular in the UK and the US. From the answer (one diver, who won years ago in the US, and is actually more famous now for things other than diving, since he's nowhere near current), I think the answer is no. Could it be? Maybe. But is it? IMO, no.

vCash
    I didn't realize it was a yes or no question. It's a "B list" sport in US imho. It's not as popular as track&field, Swimming or gymnastics, but way more popular that 75% of the sports in the Summer Olys, most of which don't even make it to tv. Not including the "other" sports like Basketball or Tennis, which are super popular but not because of the Olys (baseball, etc...) A diver actually can get endorsements. greco-roman wrestler, not so much.

vCash
    I don't think track and field is popular in the US. It is during the Olympics, so if we are ranking popularity of Olympic sports I'd put it up there quite high, but if we are just looking at popular sports- I wouldn't even think to mention it. It isn't something you see on network TV in non-Olympic years. Heck even cable sports networks are more likely to show poker tournaments than track and field.

vCash
    But in the US, everyone can name several track stars names. I follow olympic sports more closely than most people and I still couldn't name even a single diver. Ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzy View Post
    Just out of interest: how popular is diving in Australia? Athletes from sports that are on the telly once in four years always have a hard time finding sponsors.
    In addition to what's already been said...not that popular. That said, Loudy Wiggins (nee Tourky) won Olympic Bronze, twice I think, and I vaguely recall she also had Telstra as a sponsor, and possibly some cereal?

Matthew Mitcham came out fairly recently, IIRC, well after his Olympic win, so I don't know how much of a factor his sexuality is.

That said, he's the only openly gay male athlete on the Australian team, and I think he is amazingly brave to have come out. It might be okay in society in Australia normally, but there aren't many openly gay athletes at all.

Natalie Cook has been in about 5 Olympics. Not sure if her sexuality has affected her sponsorship, or if beach volleyball is also not that popular in Aus...
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I don't think track and field is popular in the US. It is during the Olympics, so if we are ranking popularity of Olympic sports I'd put it up there quite high, but if we are just looking at popular sports- I wouldn't even think to mention it. It isn't something you see on network TV in non-Olympic years. Heck even cable sports networks are more likely to show poker tournaments than track and field.
    Actually, you do see track & field on network TV in non-Olympic years (but only if you watch them ), as I have seen broadcasts of the world and NCAA championships.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    But in the US, everyone can name several track stars names.
    I don't think that is true. The only one I knew before the trials wasn't an American. Or else, are just about as out-dated as Greg Louganis.

The thing is- I think most Americans watch Olympic sports. So around Olympics time many athletes in popular Olympic sports will get endorsements. In the other years they probably won't. Track and field is one of the sports that will get endorsements. Diving is also. I doubt I will see athletes from either of those sports in over a year until the next quad picks up. But right now, David Boudia is diving for VISA.

I don't think the US has problems with openly gay celebrities/athletes as far as endorsements go, if they are successful or have an interesting story. But there is clearly something in the culture of sport that makes it difficult to come out. I don't think that is endorsements, I think it has more to do with the closeness and camaraderie of teams. Having no personal experience, this is only a guess. Maybe now that the military has changed sports will follow?

Yes, Louganis lost a ton of endorsements when he came out, but in terms of acceptance that is a truly different time. We think of the 90s like they were yesterday, but if you count the years- they were quite some time ago. The vast majority of Americans, even those that don't support gay marriage, are of the "I don't judge" variety.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 07-31-2012 at 09:44 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Actually, you do see track & field on network TV in non-Olympic years (but only if you watch them ), as I have seen broadcasts of the world and NCAA championships.
    Seriously? I don't have cable, so network is all I get- and I'd watch track and field if it was on. I've never seen it on outside of Olympic time. Just a ton of golf, football, basketball, and baseball.

vCash
    I've seen T&F broadcast quite a bit.

Usually it's the world championships or NCAA stuff.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Yeah and the sprinters get lots of endorsements.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Seriously? I don't have cable, so network is all I get- and I'd watch track and field if it was on. I've never seen it on outside of Olympic time. Just a ton of golf, football, basketball, and baseball.
    I don't have cable either. I believe that NBC has broadcast it the past few years (probably with more complete coverage through one of its affiliated cable channels).
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    Matthew Mitcham came out fairly recently, IIRC, well after his Olympic win, so I don't know how much of a factor his sexuality is.
    Err, Mitcham was out when he won. He was the only out male athlete in Beijing.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Err, Mitcham was out when he won. He was the only out male athlete in Beijing.
    Really? I must be getting old. It didn't seem so long ago I was sure I read an article about it last year...

Anyway I would have expected him to get a cereal sponsor, at least. Cereals love athletes. Also, am fairly sure our first ever (accidental) winter Olympic medallist, Stephen Bradbury, got a supermarket sponsorship gig. That's really not a popular sport either.

Can't honestly remember though!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast