Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    Any non-skater in the world would watch that and have his mind made up.
    Sorry dude, but any guy who watches youtube videos of figure skaters lip synching pop songs is probably already taking it up the pooper. So, what is his mind made up to know: that Jeff won't punch him if he busts a move?

vCash
    Good point.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    What skaters are you a fan of, Johnny_Fever?

vCash
    The voidy ones. T&D, the Duchesnays, various other miscellaneous dance teams, Philippe Candeloro doing Saturday Night Fever (as cheesy as it may have been). Christopher Bowman on a good day. John Curry played for the other team, but he never seemed to forget that he was a guy - at least on the ice.

I'm out of touch with the current crop. That's why I didn't know who Jeffrey Buttle was.

vCash
    You joined a skating board, despite being ridiculously homophobic, in 2010 and yet you've been out of touch for so long that you've never heard of the 2008 World Champion and 2006 Olympic bronze medalist? That makes total sense!

I'm sure Jeff Buttle will express his horror over the fact that someone might think he is GAY any time now.

Perhaps you should take a page from Johnny Galecki on the appropriate response to people thinking someone might be gay.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Sorry dude, but any guy who watches youtube videos of figure skaters lip synching pop songs is probably already taking it up the pooper. So, what is his mind made up to know: that Jeff won't punch him if he busts a move?
    My husband who is definitely not gay thought it was hysterical. But he likes skating and has since before he met me; he just never watched it that often until we got married!

I do not see why Johnny_Fever is so hung up on this BS. Who the hell cares, it is for fun. Who gives a crap if a skater is gay. I'm supposed to be the eville conservative, come on!

vCash

Come on Johnny_Fever, as the inimitable Johnny Mac would say, "You CAN NOT be serious!"

As Subway said, "you need to get out more." Seems like your to berthesghost's "good point" is at least a good starting point. Now, I think you should just watch the entire skaters' parody video, and then tweet Jeff B to call YOU, maybe! Jeff B's cool moves must have got you so worked up, you felt "crazy."

BTW Johnny_Fever, yes, John Curry never forgot he was a guy and he never forgot he was gay either. Back in his day, it was important to keep it mum publicly. While Curry recognized the importance of portraying a "masculine image" on the ice (in those culturally uptight times), he also learned how to express himself on the ice in a way that displayed a "masculine image" without selling out who he was personally, stylistically, artistically. Once Curry had Olympic gold in his grasp, he stared down the media and answered simply "Yes," to their besides the point, nosy, prying, dumba** query, "Are you gay?"

ETA:
    What many skaters had to endure and the line they had to tiptoe around in earlier eras has changed and is slowly changing even more hopefully for the better. Johnny W rebelled against a lot of "stick-in-the-mud" conventions and he ended up paying a price at times, but frankly the convergence of Johnny's fab image and rebellious stance along with changing attitudes in the larger culture has made attitudes a bit more relaxed in the world of fs. Now it's cool not necessarily to be gay, but to be whoever the h*ll you friggin' are. It's even more cool to express yourself on the ice and allow your talent to speak for you, without worrying so much about whether your costume or your smooth moves portray a "masculine image." If you're skating in the men's field, you're a man, no matter who you're dating or flirting with.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 08-02-2012 at 02:35 AM.

vCash
    I never bothered to watch the whole video, but lets take a specific example. At 0:13, there's a guy up front, dressed in black walking towards camera in a hotel hallway. His mannerisms make Johnny Weir look like Chuck Norris. Any non-skater in the world would watch that and have his mind made up.
    I only became a fan watching Vancouver (a "lesser fan" according to some) and didn't start skating until well after that, and I damn well knew who Jeffery Buttle is!

Oh yes, and have you heard of this little thing, called, "dramatic flair"? "acting"? "exaggeration"? "HAVING FUN"?! Jeez. I don't even want to know what my face and mannerisms do when I'm dancing around my bedroom lip-synching...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    .....I don't even want to know what my face and mannerisms do when I'm dancing around my bedroom lip-synching...
    You're a woman. You can cross that line. There's no line to cross.

No, I didn't know who Jeffery Buttle was, and after watching those 5 seconds worth of video footage, I have no intention of finding out more about him. I remember John Curry's amateur/professional transition very distinctly. Even as a professional, he never crossed the line, much the way classically trained male ballet dancers never do.

vCash
    I didn't know who Jeffery Buttle was, and after watching those 5 seconds worth of video footage, I have no intention of finding out more about him. I remember John Curry's amateur/professional transition very distinctly. Even as a professional, he never crossed the line, much the way classically trained male ballet dancers never do.
    Your loss. I am sure Jeffrey Buttle will continue to be happy and successful without your seal of approval.

vCash
    You're a woman. You can cross that line. There's no line to cross.

No, I didn't know who Jeffery Buttle was, and after watching those 5 seconds worth of video footage, I have no intention of finding out more about him. I remember John Curry's amateur/professional transition very distinctly. Even as a professional, he never crossed the line, much the way classically trained male ballet dancers never do.

Ten minutes later I still don't know where to begin.

This "line" is in your head. Your closed-minded narrow little brain. Who are you to say where "the line" is? Shouldn't "the line" be a construct of each individual? I know where my line is to be crossed - but it is in a different place to someone else's. So why should Jeff not place the line where he chooses? What gives you the right to tell him - a World champion and Olympic medallist - that he crossed the line?

Spitting Nickels
    vCash
    I prefer a world where people aren't shoved into tiny uncomfortable boxes, forced by closed-minded traditionalists who are hell-bent against growing, learning, changing, accepting.

And Jeff Buttle is one of the best, most artistic skaters of all time.

And Bugs Bunny was in drag every week, and no one ever protested.

Men have been co-opting "feminine" gestures, attributes, attitudes, etc. since the dawn of time, for laughs, for fun, to make a point, for homage or tribute, because such things come naturally to some guys, or maybe just because FEMALES ARE AWESOME and we want to be more like them. GET OVER IT.
    Last edited by toddlj; 08-02-2012 at 05:12 PM.

vCash
    Loved the video and still hope the last three pages of discussion were result of a joke. In case Johnny_ Fever is not pulling a leg and in skater’s defense I want to say that it takes a very talented and secure person to act and create something this funny and wonderful. Figure skating is not “macho” sport but its fans and sportsmen are as devoted and proud as in any other blood-spitting-buttocks-kicking-teeth-grunting manly sport.

vCash
    I only became a fan watching Vancouver (a "lesser fan" according to some) and didn't start skating until well after that, and I damn well knew who Jeffery Buttle is!
    Does being a "lesser fan" mean you go out on dates without telling the guy how recent your interest in skating is?

No, I didn't know who Jeffery Buttle was, and after watching those 5 seconds worth of video footage, I have no intention of finding out more about him.

Is that you, Brad Majors?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Does being a "lesser fan" mean you go out on dates without telling the guy how recent your interest in skating is?
    It is worse than that! I actively seek out guys with the intention of deceiving them about the depth of my skating knowledge!

vCash
    It is worse than that! I actively seek out guys with the intention of deceiving them about the depth of my skating knowledge!
    Even worse are the 'less than lesser fans', who seek to talk about the depth of their skating knowledge without deception.

I love every single moment of the video, and so do many others. 92,576 viewings in less than a week!

vCash
    I just saw the Call Me Maybe video and you can count me with those that LOVE it. The skaters have such a great sense of fun and humor you just can't help but smile and laugh along with them. It makes me so happy to see how much fun they had making this video for us. I won't even comment to Johnny_Fever, because It's my opinion that he has some issues that need work. He seems like a homophobic bigot, to me, but that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    They have to be trolling. Unless the Johny in their Johnny fever isn't Johnny Weir
    Clearly Johny_Fever is behaving like his namesake Johnny Fever at WKRP in Cincinnati.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTPzTG1Lx60

The Phone Cops are looking for him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Not even this one:

Share it maybe
    Thumbs way up for Cookie Monster!

Going back to the original thread topic: Who else finds Mervin Tran totally adorable?
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Not even this one:

Share it maybe

I thought the cookie monster was the best one of all.....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast