Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I hope this wasn't posted but the Shibs put up this video of The Ice cast doing a Call Me Maybe parody.

Link!
    Yeah, thanks, good that it's posted here too. It's also already posted in The Ice 2012 Japan thread in GSD.

When something is fun and funny, I don't think on the funny level that it ever gets tired, unless the parody isn't that well done. Reminds me of the viral "kid in car after dentist visit" video and all the kooky parodies that came afterward. Also the viral video of that fun/ funny dance down the aisle real wedding ceremony and all the copycat vids (including the Royal Wedding dance down aisle parody) and the hilarious parody with bride and groom dancing with their attorneys and the judge into divorce court.

Thanks for the second "Call Me Maybe" video link, Sylvia.

ETA:
    Here's a cute, non-skating related "Call Me Maybe" parody:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM7nl...eature=related
    Last edited by aftershocks; 07-30-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I love it, I love the swimmers, loved seeing Fran Carroll, too.

It's good to see kids who work so hard having fun.

I'll post my parody of it when I get the other Social Security recipients together.

vCash
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there absolutely no reason why anyone who is tired of these videos can't just... not watch them?

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there absolutely no reason why anyone who is tired of these videos can't just... not watch them?
    That would be too easy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Harvard Men's Baseball Team.

US Olympic Swimming Team.

These renditions of "Call Me Maybe" are incredibly popular on the internet. Are Phelps and Lochte suddenly gay, too?
    The videos you provided are the same concept, but not as effeminate. The general public already has preconceptions about male figure skaters. When the famous ones act effeminate in public, it just confirms what people already suspect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    The videos you provided are the same concept, but not as effeminate. The general public already has preconceptions about male figure skaters. When the famous ones act effeminate in public, it just confirms what people already suspect.
    OMG you were serious!?! WTF! I thought you were joking. Wow, homophobic much?

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    effeminate = female

female = bad

female + bad = sexism
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    They have to be trolling. Unless the Johny in their Johnny fever isn't Johnny Weir

vCash
    Are you kidding? Jeez, and what exactly might it be that "people already suspect." When you look at any or all of these parodies, who are you picking out and labeling as gay or effeminate?

"Not as effeminate" as what?! Not even the original singer's video was "effeminate" if you ask me. The punchline in the original was just kinda unexpected and therein funny. But I didn't see anything "effeminate" about it. The buff guy gave his phone number to another guy in the band, not realizing that the female singer was preparing to give him her number. Perhaps its kinda a comment on a more accepted reality these days among young people, but not a "put-down" on being gay necessarily. There are some very pointed, some amateurish and some hilarious parodic take-offs of the original, but mostly all the kids and athletic teams doing parodies are just having fun. Because believe it or not, the whole thing is about being young and meeting someone you are attracted to, and maybe believing in love at first sight, and having raging hormones and fantasies that make you feel crazy sometimes.

But also I think its important to understand that the younger generation for the most part doesn't accept or buy-in to the stereotypical notions older generations have been saddled with. This younger generation is trying to shed the antiquated notions and find their own way and be proud of just who they are, whether gay, straight, athletes, singers, college kids, Olympic team members, or figure skaters on tour. Not saying they have been able to completely shed the stereotypes and prejudices passed down to them, but they're trying.

Quote Originally Posted by kwanette
    ...I'll post my parody of it when I get the other Social Security recipients together.

Come to think of it, the prejudicial notions are not always held by older people, just maybe by uptight people unable to get beyond their own fears and/ or traumas.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 07-30-2012 at 10:57 PM.

vCash
    Great. As if we don't have a gay enough reputation.
    I think you need to get out more. Gay isn't bad. In addition, straights and gays have parodied this song all over youtube. Seriously. Get out more. Gay isn't bad. Get with the times. Being that uptight parodies itself.

I don't think the video is effeminate, not that there's a problem with that. But if it were especially effeminate, OMG. What if figure skating had more figure skaters as well known and popular as the effeminate Johnny Weir? What a horror. What if figure skating had more athletes who were secure in themselves instead of ridiculous, who loved to have fun, who didn't take themselves seriously, who were as effective as Alex Shibutani in making a community out of a bunch of touring figure skaters and their fans? What if everybody were as cool and accessible as Alex Shibutani? Figure skating could become popular. Best keep it deadly serious and leaking money.
    Last edited by Subway; 07-31-2012 at 02:03 AM.

vCash
    I have a huge crush on Alex Shibutani.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    Me too

vCash
    ^ He's looking pretty cut in the video. And he sure can move.

vCash
    Awww, I don't blame you. Alex and Maia are adorable, and so talented and articulate too! Now quick send Alex your number with the note, "Call Me Maybe?"

Quote Originally Posted by Subway View Post
    I think you need to get out more. Gay isn't bad. In addition, straights and gays have parodied this song all over youtube. Seriously. Get out more. Gay isn't bad. Get with the times. Being that uptight parodies itself.

I don't think the video is effeminate, not that there's a problem with that. But if it were especially effeminate, OMG. What if figure skating had more figure skaters as well known and popular as the effeminate Johnny Weir? What a horror. What if figure skating had more athletes who were secure in themselves instead of ridiculous, who loved to have fun, who didn't take themselves seriously, who were as effective as Alex Shibutani in making a community out of a bunch of touring figure skaters and their fans? What if everybody were as cool and accessible as Alex Shibutani? Figure skating could become popular. Best keep it deadly serious and leaking money.

God forbid we keep it deadly serious ... life's too short. The one and only Mr. divalicious Johnny Weir never takes himself too seriously and he doesn't let other people's hang-ups hang him up. Not only is Johnny a talented figure skater who happens to be gay, wow, above all he's human and he wields a rapier wit.

Quotable Johnny:
    Everybody has nipples. Lifeskate interview April 2010

I came out of my mother wearing a rainbow.
    CNN Dialogues panel appearance December 14, 2011

I had to kind of defend the fact that I have a penis. It was definitely hurtful on a personal level, because I love my penis.
    CNN Dialogues panel appearance December 14, 2011, in reference to Canadian commentators questioning his gender during 2010 Olympics

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I hope this wasn't posted but the Shibs put up this video of The Ice cast doing a Call Me Maybe parody.

Link!
    LOL! SEXI!! Love Takahiko Kozuka being too cool to sing. Skaters are way too cute and they all seem to get along so well together; it's no wonder why I love this sport so much, even if many times I hate the judging and the rules.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Awww, I don't blame you. Alex and Maia are adorable, and so talented and articulate too! Now quick send Alex your number with the note, "Call Me Maybe?"
    I don't think my boyfriend would take to that too well. But Alex did direct message me on twitter - TWICE! :

vCash
    You need some serious frigging help.

What part of that video was especially "effeminate"? The boys were super hilarious. And what is wrong with "acting effeminate in public"? Not that I believe many of the famous ones do. Johnny, maybe. But what is "effeminate"? Define it? What makes it so bad?

You're going to do your head in when Plushenko plays both lead roles in his Romeo and Juliet program, aren't you...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    LOL! SEXI!! Love Takahiko Kozuka being too cool to sing. Skaters are way too cute and they all seem to get along so well together; it's no wonder why I love this sport so much, even if many times I hate the judging and the rules.
    LOL and way SEXI COOL!

Hmmm, got my hormones ragin' for Javi in the ripped jeans, Charlie ooooh (oh, that's right Tanith's got him, but I can dream can't I ), and Jeremy and Taka, I'd love them to both call me maybe so we can go out together maybe, sit down and share a poutine together and then have each of them give me a .... skating lesson. Tsk tsk all you uptight people. Lighten up!

Jeff B had some cool moves in the vid. Mervin's way cool too and very macho ( ), and that four-man three-legged race across the ice was so funny.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 07-31-2012 at 04:47 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    You need some serious frigging help.

What part of that video was especially "effeminate"? The boys were super hilarious. And what is wrong with "acting effeminate in public"? Not that I believe many of the famous ones do. Johnny, maybe. But what is "effeminate"? Define it? What makes it so bad?

You're going to do your head in when Plushenko plays both lead roles in his Romeo and Juliet program, aren't you...
    Thank you! And furthermore, I'd suggest all "uptight" people stay away from the deplorable Lifetime show Project Runway. It might give tense condescenders a "hissy" fit and cause them to speak in unknown tongues. [Just kidding ... maybe]

I don't think my boyfriend would take to that too well. But Alex did direct message me on twitter - TWICE! :
    Woah, cool! Always nice to receive a direct message from someone you admire. Well the cat's out of the bag since your boyfriend must know about your Alex crush. Hey, but maybe if your bf is a fs fan, he has a crush too, that is for Alex and Maia's on-ice awesomeness.

vCash
    Thank you Lanie, Jenna, and Sylvia for those links. I love these vids and never get tired of seeing them. Everyone seems to be having so much fun, and I just love seeing that

Quote Originally Posted by flipforsynchro View Post
    Me too
    me three. Alex is hawt, and can really move, as others have remarked.

JohnnyFever, why must anyone adhere to the gender binary system? Why do the ways in which skaters negotiate their gender identity concern you so much?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast