vCash

How many of us here,have tried Ice-Dancing for Fun when they have Skated?

Say,I have mentioned to you all,that when I go to Public Skate,I like to try Ice-Dancing with another Skater,and I myself find it graceful and really comforting. So,what I want to know today is who else here has tried Ice-Dancing for fun with a Partner when they have Skated? Please include what it felt like.

vCash
    I like skating with former champions. It takes your skating up to a whole other level. It makes you look better than you are.

vCash
    My husband and I take an ice dance class at a seasonal (not fully enclosed) rink during the winter with several other students and nationally ranked skaters as coaches. While we don't dance together (we believe in preserving our marriage...) but I've done a few dances in exhibition with my coach's husband, just for fun. I do enjoy skating with him, it's a nice change from freestyle. The only issue I have is that he can't remember all the steps so I "call" the dance the entire time (meaning I tell him what move is coming up before we do it....ie: "Progressive...right swing roll...left swing roll..." etc.)
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    I tried ice dancing and did a decent job with the first two dances, however, my skills as a regular dancer didn't translate too well- and I found ice dancing to be really really hard. The step-behinds in the third dance (rhythm blues) left me with a hip injury that took away my spirals

I haven't really done much since then, and our dance coach left the rink.

But- I did once have a chance to do the Dutch Waltz with a very high level skater (though not a dancer) the feel of the edge on the end pattern was insane. If he wasn't holding onto me, I would have gone down for sure!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    The only issue I have is that he can't remember all the steps so I "call" the dance the entire time (meaning I tell him what move is coming up before we do it....ie: "Progressive...right swing roll...left swing roll..." etc.)
    I've talked kids through entire skating tests when they couldn't remember the steps. It gets awkward when you pass right by the judges.

vCash
    My coach has taught me entire dances that way! He sits in the hockey box and shouts the steps to me across the ice. It's pretty comical. I get through, but I hardly ever remember any of it until I sit down and study the pattern.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    I've talked kids through entire skating tests when they couldn't remember the steps. It gets awkward when you pass right by the judges.
    Why are they doing tests when they can't remember the steps? Seriously that is not learning to ice dance. That is just racking up test passes. And at the end of the day it ain't fooling no one.

I have to say if you don't ice dance for fun, then you are losing the reason why you do it in the first place. For myself there is nothing better than hearing a piece of music in a public session and then just doing a dance to it. However not having ever had a partner (except in a lesson) I have to make it fun on my own.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Why are they doing tests when they can't remember the steps? Seriously that is not learning to ice dance. That is just racking up test passes. And at the end of the day it ain't fooling no one.
    I see your point. I'm just the designated partner, not their main coach. Its not up to me to decide whether they're ready to test or not. If I don't take them through (and take their money), someone else will.

vCash
    I see your point. I'm just the designated partner, not their main coach. Its not up to me to decide whether they're ready to test or not. If I don't take them through (and take their money), someone else will.
    It is tricky to be put in that position. So I don't envy you. For those of us who really are passionate about dance and really learnt them before doing our tests, it is disappointing that people sometimes treat it as a way to just rack up test passes.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    They can only go so far without knowing the steps. Beyond a certain level, soloing is mandatory.

vCash
    I think its great but stressful sometimes with the dance tests. I miss it though, iam thinking if i can find an adult ice dancing class i might return but not sure about tests again. Not interested in jumping anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I tried ice dancing and did a decent job with the first two dances, however, my skills as a regular dancer didn't translate too well- and I found ice dancing to be really really hard. The step-behinds in the third dance (rhythm blues) left me with a hip injury that took away my spirals
    Those foot tucks absolutely terrify me, I cannot for the life of me understand the logic of putting those into such a low level dance. I believe they now allow adults to test without doing all 3 because so many adults have had injuries from falls created by flipping themselves with those stupid back foot tucks. I still skate that pattern just doing foot slides/slide chasses. I've passed up solo ice dance competitions just because they have put the rhythm blues in as one of the two dances instead of Dutch Waltz/Canasta Tango at the Preliminary level. If I do decide to test, I'll be clinging to my partner for dear life during that part. I know I have to learn them, but they still scare the hell out of me.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    I started dance when I was 21, after a 4-year break from skating… and fell in love! This was back when the rules for competing in adult dance defined "adult" as anyone over 50

But I did find a semi-local partner a year or two later (who was willing to drive two hours a few times a week to skate) and competed through the equivalent of gold-dance level (they were changing what they called various dance competition levels back then, and opening up adult dance to younger skaters).

But I had to quit right before taking my final gold dance tests when I kicked my foot out from underneath me doing the Quickstep solo at 90 mph (first time I'd EVER done that, and I did it twice in a row), landed REALLY hard, and sheepishly told my coach I was 7 weeks pregnant. We decided not to risk it, since pregnancy hormones already seemed to be affecting my agility/body awareness.

That child just turned 15, and boy, do I miss dance!

vCash
    I to have talked kids through tests. You learn quickly to call steps without moving your lips. These kids knew the dances but wild freak out on test days. Like standing and shaking while waiting for the music...and this was at a competitive club.

I really only ice dance and have since I was 11. Well over 20 yers now. It isn't always with a partner but it is definitely more fun with a partner.

vCash
    I have never had a problem with the cross behinds. Soft knees are a must. Most people try to do them on stiff legs and reach the crossing behind foot back too far and also place the free leg too wide from the skating foot. You need to get your feet connecting (which also seems to scare the shit out of skaters). You also need to keep the front leg supple so the back leg can fit behind it into the crook of your front knee.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Those foot tucks absolutely terrify me, I cannot for the life of me understand the logic of putting those into such a low level dance.
    I agree. I was the first time I saw a US club competition and saw those steps - I couldn't believe it was a first-level dance. I would still be a pre-prelim ice dancer if I was in the US. The third dance in Skate Canada's preliminary dance test is also a blues, the Baby Blues, but it doesn't have any cross-behind steps.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I like skating with former champions. It takes your skating up to a whole other level. It makes you look better than you are.
    You're joking, right? That would never happen in the figure skating world, would it?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.