Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    vCash
    oops, wrong thread.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I was also thinking about how this will affect Wieber in TF. On one hand I could see her imploding and not having her heart in it but that isn't how she got to be where she is. She will probably take the challenge head on and use the TF as her AA competition since she is going to be competing on all events so long as Marta doesn't pull her from beam. That is the only question because she will definitely be used on all the other events. I would say she would be on beam for sure but I wonder if Marta wants to use her knowing the judges will not give her credit for her connections. The thought of using Gabby is scary for me even after how she hit today. Plus she anchors bars so she would have to hurry and get right up on beam if she is lead off and that is intimidating to anyone.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I would find it inspirational if Wieber went out in the team final and posted a set of individual scores that just destroyed everybody in every round ... Defiant proof that the best gymnast is really in the performance.

... Then FSU can debate, "If Wieber had qualified ..."

vCash
    So if Douglas can control that double arabian in the AA finals then she could improve her total by nearly a point from that one pass alone. Then Komova would be chasing Douglas, not the other way around. Interesting.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Well Komova also stands to improve her FX score quite a bit. I think they are quite evenly matched and it will depend on who's better on the day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    So if Douglas can control that double arabian in the AA finals then she could improve her total by nearly a point from that one pass alone. Then Komova would be chasing Douglas, not the other way around. Interesting.
    Komova had a lot of steps and bad landings on a lot of passes (and maybe left out a turn) I know some stagg jumps. I do though think that Douglas may have this if she hits...I still see Komova hitting more though.. This Komova fan was a little like if Wieber can take out Douglas that's Komova's biggest threat.. But then again I'm not convinced Komova's the better gymnast anymore...Pre injury Komova was but now??? And Douglas is a fab gymnast.

vCash
    Did Afanasyeva throw all of her difficulty on floor? She only had a 5.9 D score. I can't imagine she and her coaches thought she could win with that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post
    Did Afanasyeva throw all of her difficulty on floor? She only had a 5.9 D score. I can't imagine she and her coaches thought she could win with that.
    No... It seems none of the Russians did..

vCash
    Komova had issues on FX but I would not say she can improve her score by more than 3-5 tenths. Douglas has a lot more room for growth and only has to fix one pass. Komova's floor just looks like shit and the sad thing is because it looks like she just doesn't care out there. FWIW, I still pick Komova to win because I think she is more likely to hit but I just pointed out Douglas' potential for improvement because I had not thought about it and I had not seen it mentioned.

I still don't see all the fuss over Mustafina. That floor routine didn't show me anything to make me go "WOW, now THAT is what artistic gymnastics is about!!" My bf, who never watches gymnastics, immediately said "that wasn't good at all, boring..." I'm still convinced that half of the gymnastics community equates diva/bitchiness with artistry. Don't get me wrong, she is better than someone like Raisman in the artistic department but it just baffles me when people trash Raisman so much and then use Mustafina as this example of what a gymnast should be.
    -Brian

vCash
    Does anyone know what Grishina's FX music is?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    No... It seems none of the Russians did..
    I haven't seen Afan's routine but it doesn't look like they left out all the difficulty on purpose. Turns wound up short and connections (leaps) were not made because of messy landings. It didn't appear it was a call made before hand but maybe it was and the messy landings were just coincidence. The bad turns (Grishina, for example) were definitely not planned, though. I bet Komova left out the backtuck from the triple full on purpose, though.
    -Brian

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Komova had issues on FX but I would not say she can improve her score by more than 3-5 tenths. Douglas has a lot more room for growth and only has to fix one pass. Komova's floor just looks like shit and the sad thing is because it looks like she just doesn't care out there. FWIW, I still pick Komova to win because I think she is more likely to hit but I just pointed out Douglas' potential for improvement because I had not thought about it and I had not seen it mentioned.
    I agree. Komova is easily the best AA gymnast I think but she had more mistakes than any of the top gymnasts and has sacrificed her execution a little bit on every event for difficulty IMO. That extra dimension level of perfection she brings to bars and beam wasn't there in prelims overall, and she just didn't really fight for a lot of tenths that were deducted (mainly beam and a little bit floor). Something tells me that she might not be able to pull it off in the end, but then again I'm also really worried that Gabby is most likely doing 4 events in TF and then another 4 in the AA. I would love for her to be a rockstar but I don't have faith in 8 hit routines there, it's almost too much to expect out of somebody. I actually think Mustafina might have more fire in her belly than any of the contenders by the time of the AA competition, and if she somehow goes for and lands the Amanar I do think she has a legitimate shot at the title. If Aly Raisman doesn't biff her bars she could really win the whole thing too the more I think about it (she would need mistakes from 2 or 3, but its the AA and her biggest competition is prone to error), can you imagine how watching her parents in the stands would be for that routine? Man the fact that its a real possibility is just unbelieveable.

vCash
    Imagine if Raisman suddenly gets a 3-4 tenth boost on bars. We have seen it happen before. Usually it goes the other way for Raisman, her bars score goes down in AA but what if this time it goes up?
    -Brian

vCash
    ^ The judges are going to crack with her sooner or later, she never gets their hints and screws up. She will get the Romanian 90's respect soon. Hence her prelims FX score, which will be a 15.5 or 15.6 if she hits it in team finals. Ten years after Sarah Hughes, all eyes are on Komova and Douglas... oh dear.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    My guesses for the US lineup in team finals:

VT: Aly, Jordyn, McKayla (I picked Aly so Gabby doesn't have do AA again and we know Aly won't do UB here)
    UB: Jordyn, Kyla, Gabby
    BB: Kyla/Gabby (not sure on this one but maybe they let Gabby VT and use Kyla here), Jordyn, Aly
    FX: Gabby, Jordyn, Aly

I'm just hoping Team USA comes together, lets today's results go, and then comes out fighting for the team finals on Tuesday. They're a strong team and great friends. I think they want that team gold medal more than anything else right now and I'm rooting so hard for them to get it. Go USA!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Jordyn Wieber got a mention from Lord Voldemort on twitter! He can't spell, but...

Jordan Weiber is a TT. Her comment: "I'm looking forward to the team event." What she meant: "**** this rule & those judges are all muggles"

vCash
    I'm tired of the "oh now that it affects us let's complain about it" conversations going on about the top-2-go-to-AA rule. Yes, it sucks for Wieber. But that's them rules.

It sucked for Bilozertchev when he didn't win AA in 1988 because the team scores carried over. It sucked for Shannon Miller because in 1992 the team scores did NOT carry over. Plenty of examples like that.

That's the way the chips fall some times.

vCash
    People complain about it all the time. People STILL complain about Gutsu getting subbed in and then winning over Miller. This isn't new and it will be forgotten about as soon as the AA is over. It isn't as if Jordyn or her coach has asked for the rules to be changed before the AA finals. People look for ANY reason to jump all over Jordyn and her coach. It is becoming gross.
    -Brian

vCash
    It's more of the "let's spread the wealth" that is annoying about the two per country rule.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flipforsynchro View Post
    It's more of the "let's spread the wealth" that is annoying about the two per country rule.
    Especially when the field was actually lowered from 36 to 24.
    -Brian

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast