Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    And that put the kiss of death on the Aussies chances

But congrats to the French - that last leg was so similar to the race from 4 years ago - just a switch to which team fought back!! Did the US make a mistake putting Lochte on the final leg?!
    Its tough to say, we have to take a look at Cullen Jones split and Lochte's one because Jones got reduced on his lead and Lochte did well but not enough

One of them for me, was a bad choice. I would have put Grevers

But again, Team USA making some questionable desitions on relays

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Braulio View Post
    Its tough to say, we have to take a look at Cullen Jones split and Lochte's one because Jones got reduced on his lead and Lochte did well but not enough

One of them for me, was a bad choice. I would have put Grevers

But again, Team USA making some questionable desitions on relays
    The USA would have had a hard time justifying pulling one of the two individual 100 free swimmers from the relay. I'm guessing Cullen's place wasn't really up for debate. But the US should have taken Grevers.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    I so knew that lineup was a mistake...by my calculation Michael with fastest split by far, Ryan only .1 faster than the lead-off leg, so basically not a good anchor.

Unless I'm miscalculating, it was Adrian 47.89 (leading off), Phelps 47.15, Jones 47.6, Lochte 47.74
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Splits were (by my calculation)
    Adrian: 47.89
    Phelps: 47.15
    Jones: 47.60
    Lochte 47.74

ETA: Cyn and I had the same calculation. Yep, this is why I was freaking out when they announced it.

Grevers 47.54 in prelims and I'm guessing he wasn't doing his best.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Thanks for checking my work.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Hmmm, Yannick Agnel is seriously reminding me of Matt Smith(Dr Who).

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Not that I'm happy about the result, but there is a kind of poetic justice to France coming up from behind at the end like that.

Hopefully that leg means Michael has his head and body together for his remaining events.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    Thanks for checking my work.
    I'm glad we agree. Lol. Want to check mine on Grevers. I'm so annoyed. I love Lochte but that was just a complete and total mistake.

vCash
    AYS, why are relay starts faster than regular starts?

vCash
    My husband says a relay start is faster because they can take a bit of an early jump. The rule is that they cant hit the water before the other person touches the wall, but a strong relay team can judge their entry to cut time by jumping as soon as possible. If they hit the water before the touch they are disqualified.

He said there is also some advantage to the reaction time when you know visually when the person is coming in vs listening to a whistle when you don't know exactly when it will happen

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    AYS, why are relay starts faster than regular starts?
    You don't have to set for the starter, you can move around and swing your arms, generate momentum and actually start your diving motion before the swimmer touches...akin to having a running start, in a way. As long as your foot doesn't actually lose contact with the block before the swimmer before touches, it's legal.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    My husband says a relay start is faster because they can take a bit of an early jump. The rule is that they cant hit the water before the other person touches the wall, but a strong relay team can judge their entry to cut time by jumping as soon as possible. If they hit the water before the touch they are disqualified.
    No, they have to maintain contact with the block until the swimmer touches. Believe me, I've seen many a false start in club and high school swimming over the years.

vCash
    A swim-off!! You don't see that very often. Go Tera!!!

vCash
    No, they have to maintain contact with the block until the swimmer touches. Believe me, I've seen many a false start in club and high school swimming over the years.
    Okay...having just googled it looks like I misunderstood him, you can start the jump in, but your toes still have to be touching the block, so you can begin earlier the better you know the style of the swimmer ahead of you/how long your entry takes.

But I bet most of it is the visual vs. Audio and known vs. unknown thing.

vCash
    You don't have to set for the starter, you can move around and swing your arms, generate momentum and actually start your diving motion before the swimmer touches...akin to having a running start, in a way. As long as your foot doesn't actually lose contact with the block before the swimmer before touches, it's legal.
    Thanks, AYS!

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    They had 2 swimoffs at a regional championship meet I was at last week for finals slots, and I said at the time, imagine having to swimoff for a final at the Olympics?!? Nervewracking!!

vCash
    Lovely to see how happy Becky is with her bronze medal - she is such a great girl and so positive!!

Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Now, now. Do you really want me to bring rfisher in here to lecture you on how grateful you should be to have anything?
    Do it! Since many of us are unable to see anything at all thanks to NBC greedy cable company subsidized Bullsh*t. I'm stuck between musical proxies and musical streams if I want to see anything.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    BTW, that was the first silver medal ever for Phelps; he has 2 bronze from Athens.

vCash
    Not that I'm happy about the result, but there is a kind of poetic justice to France coming up from behind at the end like that.

Hopefully that leg means Michael has his head and body together for his remaining events.
    Was the French anchor the same man from Beijing? Somehow that completes this story especially if he operated quietly this time and swam his tail off to catch Ryan. Phelps: He gets a medal moving him closer to the record. I've yet to see this but I still say there is nothing as exciting as the relays when it comes to the pool. Congrats France!

Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast