Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

vCash
    Well, I believe the Romans (back in the good old, old days) used urine as mouthwash!
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    If there's a tie for the 1500m, would they just start 9 in one of the semi-finals? Making them do a swim-off would seem cruel.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    There is only a final for the 1500, no semi-final, and yes, they'd have a swim-off if that happened.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    There is only a final for the 1500, no semi-final, and yes, they'd have a swim-off if that happened.
    It would be more humane to toss a coin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I have no idea if Ye is a cheater; I think she should be be given at least the benefit of the doubt until a positive test proves otherwise. But the idea that she is being unfairly singled out for accusations of cheating? She's in a pretty big club there.
    It isn't even about whether Ye is guilty or not at this point. She has not and never been tested positive, that should be the end of.

Call me a dreamer, but I believe any leaders of position, power and privilege such as the head of any sporting organisation should bear the responsibility to uphold the integrity of the sport. Committed to the idea of fair play, treat ALL athletes with equal respect, without prejudices or biased judgements. Their position should not allow them to abusing these privileges by carrying out some one sided grudge against a rival 16 years old on the day of her big race, for doing what they have been training for a decade to do for their few minutes of glory at the Olympics. Be the best they can be - without being labelled a cheat without any shred of evidence AND in despite of evidence contrary to his personal believes.

What kind of message does it send out to all athletes include their own?
    - If you train hard and do too well you can be labelled as a cheat at anytime.
    - You train hard and do your best, but surely it won't be good enough, because someone out there is doping so you have pretty much have wasted your entire time/life.
    - You might as dope just don't get caught since this is the way the sport is going.

Someone of his important position has a moral obligation to his sport, to impart correct information to the public and the media. If we go everything according to history, every time a US sportsperson does something miraculous on the field, on cycles, the global press and rival officials should be allowed to carry out some public witch hunt and accuse the US athlete of doping because that IS what history tell us! What kind of depressing world that would be. (Witch hunt based on history? No wonder he think ALL Chinese/Commies doesn't deserve to win medals and should be treated with suspicion.) The sad thing is having proven wrong, he should apologize for the damage he's caused, that is what people of his position are suppose to do in civilised society since he represent official US stance. The consequence of him not apologising or backtrack his comment is him denouncing his believes and trust in WADA. If you don't believe the system you are suppose to uphold for the good of the sport, what hope is there for the sport? I am just very annoyed by the unprofessionalism including certain factions of the press jumped on this negative campaign from what should be one of the best stories at the Olympics.

vCash
    Lance Armstrong has never tested positive, either (at least not in a sample with an actual chain of evidence attached). But that doesn't seem to make much of a difference in the court of public opinion and it probably won't make any difference in court.

Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Nathan Adrian. MINE!!!

And, ladies, take note:

Ryan Lochte only has time for "one-night stands," says his mom
    Psh, please, get your hands off of Nathan, I've had claim on him FOR YEARS.

Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    Think Lochte has just forbidden his mom to do any more interviews!
    I really hope that actually was a case of mom-speak because, although I'm sure he does have a lot of one night stands, you'd hope his mom wouldn't be talking about it. I would definitely forbid her to ever do an interview again. Total head desk moment.

For the record, I also claimed Ricky Berens back in Beijing. Y'all are welcome to Connor Dwyer but Ricky and his butt that the entire world has seen are mine (no one tell Rebecca Soni, she doesn't know).

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    It isn't even about whether Ye is guilty or not at this point. She has not and never been tested positive, that should be the end of.
    Flo Jo never tested positive, either. But her name will be forever tied to doping, as will the names of plenty of other athletes who never tested positive. The whole Flo Jo era is full of suspected track and field dopers who never got caught.

WADA itself will tell you that they aren't very good at catching dopers and never have been.

And so it goes.

Again, I think Ye should be given the benefit of the doubt and should have not have to face unsubstantiated accusations. But I think your claims that all of this kerfuffle is about US coaches being unable to stomach those evil commies is rather ridiculous. Have the French been going after Lance Armstrong all this time because they don't like American democracy?
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    No one does have to. They all know the schedule that will be at the Olympics way in advance, and they make the choice of what events they think they can manage based on that.

Phelps would probably have a few more medals if he could have ever fit the backstroke events into his program in Athens, Beijing and here. He actually swam the 200back for Athens at trials and made the team, but then dropped it due to the IM timing.
    Would he have even made the team in the backstroke. He almost never did well vs Piersol when they raced the backstrokes and in 2008 you had Piersol and Lochte surpassing Piersol in the 200 distance, and in 2012 you had Lochte and Clarey. As for the 100 he almost never saw that seriously. The only obvious is he would have won the silver in 2004 200 back had he swum it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Would he have even made the team in the backstroke. He almost never did well vs Piersol when they raced the backstrokes and in 2008 you had Piersol and Lochte surpassing Piersol in the 200 distance, and in 2012 you had Lochte and Clarey. As for the 100 he almost never saw that seriously. The only obvious is he would have won the silver in 2004 200 back had he swum it.
    Phelps was .03 away from setting the world record in the 100 back at 2007 Nationals, and he wasn't training that race seriously at the time. I have no doubt that had he focused on training for the backstroke events, he would have been very competitive with Peirsol, Lochte, and now Clary.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedySucks View Post
    Phelps was .03 away from setting the world record in the 100 back at 2007 Nationals, and he wasn't training that race seriously at the time. I have no doubt that had he focused on training for the backstroke events, he would have been very competitive with Peirsol, Lochte, and now Clary.
    ITA. I always wanted to see what would happen if he fully trained the backstrokes, which wasn't to be; you can only do so much in one career, even if you're Phelps.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    All things considered, Lochte has to be pretty disappointed in how this Olympics turned out for him. Despite all of the changes he made in his training, he really didn't do any better than 2008--2 golds (1 individual and 1 relay), 2 silvers, 1 bronze, and a 4th place. I think having Trials so close to the Olympics hurt him since he did so many events at the Trials--it had to be difficult to recover from that fully and then taper again just four weeks later. He said yesterday that he's going to focus more on the shorter events going forward, so this could be the last time we see such a huge program from him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Flo Jo never tested positive, either. But her name will be forever tied to doping, as will the names of plenty of other athletes who never tested positive. The whole Flo Jo era is full of suspected track and field dopers who never got caught.

WADA itself will tell you that they aren't very good at catching dopers and never have been.

And so it goes.

Again, I think Ye should be given the benefit of the doubt and should have not have to face unsubstantiated accusations. But I think your claims that all of this kerfuffle is about US coaches being unable to stomach those evil commies is rather ridiculous. Have the French been going after Lance Armstrong all this time because they don't like American democracy?

In the real world, the law and policing are not perfect either, but it doesn't mean everyone is assumed guilty because they are capable of being guilty as a few has been getting away with it. What is the difference between that and racial/national/social profiling? Does it have a place in the world of sport and the Olympic spirit?

If John Leonard is so vocal about his suspicions then he should not single out a direct rival instead of EVERYONE in history that had similar remarkable results? Why the day before the big race? Someone with so much experience must have been aware of the full ramification of such a accusation can affect the sport and the competitor's moral spirit. It is almost like going on the media offensive, before any scandal or disappointment can heat up the airwaves. Politics much?

Have the French been going after Lance Armstrong all this time because they don't like American democracy?
    I think that has more to do with winning 'Tour De France' 7 times, in which they are obligated to ensure it is a fair contest. In this case, IOC is perfectly fine with Ye's result, others should just respect that and stop crying sour grapes.

As for the culture clash between US and France, let's just leave it to that. I once ordered a glass of diet coke in Paris only found it cost 10 Euros! More expensive than every other drinks on the menu including wine. That is the last time I am going to order any American drinks in France again!!

OT. I love this remarkable piece of drama by Aaron Sorkin, and proves why American has some of the most amazing courageous talent in the world because of democracy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTjMqda19wk
    Last edited by os168; 08-03-2012 at 05:52 PM.

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    *wishing best of luck to Chad le Clos today in the 100m butterfly*

vCash
    I always assumed it was because they didn't much care for Lance. Which isn't an entirely uncommon sentiment, worldwide, as far as I can tell.

Although I'm not sure the price of a diet coke is the best example of the culture clash between the US and France. the best example might be all the crap that Americans put on crepes.
    Last edited by Theatregirl1122; 08-03-2012 at 06:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    I always assumed it was because they didn't much care for Lance. Which isn't an entirely uncommon sentiment, worldwide, as far as I can tell.

Although I'm not sure the price of a diet coke is the best example of the culture clash between the US and France. the bext example might be all the crap that Americans put on crepes.
    Haha good point, the US France thing is a love hate thing. They are secretly in love with each other like lovers, but publicly pretend it doesn't exist because of pride mixed with arrogance patriotic duty!! Everytime I visit New York I am constantly amused by the anti French sentiment shared by some Americans, even if the Statue of Liberty is one of the most impressive thing about New York.

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedySucks View Post
    All things considered, Lochte has to be pretty disappointed in how this Olympics turned out for him.
    Guess his focus has been more on his extracurricular activites in the Olympic village. If only bed humping could be an Olympic sport. Hmmmmm.

vCash
    Franklin wins 200 backstroke with a WR time.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Wow. That was hella impressive from Missy Franklin.

Eh?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedwitch View Post
    Wow. That was hella impressive from Missy Franklin.
    Indeed. Wow.

Go Phelps!!

vCash
    holy crap i am excited about this, Le Clos Cutie Vs Phelps the phenomenal ROUND 2!!!!!

Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast