Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast
Results 441 to 460 of 462
  1. #441
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,092
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    So nice of NBC to tell me that Jake Dalton had a great night and had done really well on rings. Do you know what would have been nicer? Showing him on the freaking rings and vault! Seriously, how long would that have taken? About as long as they showed Horton waiting to go on PH.

  2. #442

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,891
    vCash
    1670
    Rep Power
    3863
    I think NBC like many other networks where just relying the official feed, so that is very likely not their fault.

  3. #443
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Watching some crackling good television
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,486
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I apologize in advance, I appear to have woken up on the bitchy side of the bed this morning, but anyways...

    Only was able to see what NBC showed in prime time. AKA most of the US routines, all of the botched routines from China/Japan.

    Happy that the US won the qualifying, but I fear that will play with their heads on Monday.

    that they didn't let Mikulak try for the AA, but I think they feared he'd knock out Leyva or Orozco.

    that code-whore Kai made the HB finals with that awful routine. Thrilled to see Horton make it. I hope he medals although it will be hard with the difficulty of everyone else.

    Leyva's FX score was so super generous it was disgusting. He landed each pass bent in half and I don't think stuck any of them.

    Uchimura looked awful from the 2 clips we saw of him (of course they show his bad routines).

    Waiting for someone in London to hunt Al down and muzzle him.

  4. #444
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Age
    25
    Posts
    652
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Guo Weiyang was just horrendous (and could well cost the Chinese men gold, silver or maybe even bronze in the team final), but overall, all the Chinese men who are contenders for apparatus medals/golds all made the final (Kai, Chenglong, Zhe, Yibing) so yay!

    A bit surprised Japan only has 3 men in apparatus finals (2 for PB and 1 for FX).

  5. #445
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,043
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge_Break View Post
    Waiting for someone in London to hunt Al down and muzzle him.
    Ha!
    Al: "He hit his routine? What does that mean?"
    As if he doesn't know.

  6. #446
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,043
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I want artistry to matter in this sport again. And that's why I root for Russia, Uchimura etc....
    Same here. After all, it is still called "Artistic Gymnastics" I root for all of Team USA, because that's our team. However, I also have a huge appreciation for gymnasts from other countries who show both artistry and athleticism.

  7. #447

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,366
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    40
    So last night, NBC showed 2 routines by the Russians. Two.

    And the web feed from yesterday is not up yet. I'm annoyed.

  8. #448
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,043
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Do the scores from day one carry over to tomorrow? I forgot.

  9. #449

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,366
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    Do the scores from day one carry over to tomorrow? I forgot.
    No. They're starting from zero.

  10. #450
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,043
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    No. They're starting from zero.
    Cool. Thanks!

  11. #451
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,092
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    I think NBC like many other networks where just relying the official feed, so that is very likely not their fault.

    That's definitely not it. Lots of people around the world saw Jake's performances and saw a LOT of Russian performances. NBC chacked them.

    Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    Ha!
    Al: "He hit his routine? What does that mean?"
    As if he doesn't know.
    But the best part was when she responded by saying it meant that they had hit their routines. What does hitting mean? Hitting means hitting.

  12. #452

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Driving the Han Yan Fan Van
    Posts
    8,835
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    No cable in this household, so I was able to tune into just a bit of the men's qualifying last night. Horrible coverage, as usual from NBC.

    Their helpful instruction on the scoring included a green/yellow/red deduction 'hint' system: green is "hey, pretty good, not too many deductions" yellow is "wow, that's getting up there with deductions" and red is "probably too many deductions." Whaaa?? I thought that there was some base score and then an execution score that got added together, and then you subtract the deductions? They said absolutely nothing about that at all. And they cut away from one round without providing the standings at all.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

  13. #453

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,366
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Their helpful instruction on the scoring included a green/yellow/red deduction 'hint' system: green is "hey, pretty good, not too many deductions" yellow is "wow, that's getting up there with deductions" and red is "probably too many deductions." Whaaa?? I thought that there was some base score and then an execution score that got added together, and then you subtract the deductions? They said absolutely nothing about that at all. And they cut away from one round without providing the standings at all.
    It's more confusing. They're trying to get rid of having two scores (D and E) because maybe they thought that was confusing?

    I think it's stupid. As someone who really likes this FIG scoring system, NBC is just making it worse and more difficult to understand.

  14. #454
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    PNdub
    Posts
    1,765
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Here we go!

  15. #455
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,173
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Ok, after they constantly showed John Orozco's parents during the broadcast, I searched online to read about his upbringing...at what age he was adopted, the circumstances, the faced hurdles, etc. Everything I read say he was born to parents William and Damaris Orozco. If this guy is Damaris' biological son, obviously she was forgiven by her husband for the affair she had.

  16. #456

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,897
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20182
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    It's more confusing. They're trying to get rid of having two scores (D and E) because maybe they thought that was confusing?
    I guess they think we can't do basic math, and we can only understand traffic signals instead.

  17. #457
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,196
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I would be over the moon excited if the Men's Qualification AA top 3 ended up being the official AA top 3. Leyva, Belyavskiy, and Hambuchen are all definite favorites of mine!

  18. #458

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,366
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Ok, after they constantly showed John Orozco's parents during the broadcast, I searched online to read about his upbringing...at what age he was adopted, the circumstances, the faced hurdles, etc. Everything I read say he was born to parents William and Damaris Orozco. If this guy is Damaris' biological son, obviously she was forgiven by her husband for the affair she had.
    Well, since we Puerto Ricans are pretty mixed, we can have "white" parents give birth to pretty dark kids. It happens quite often and most of our families have a wide array of skin tones. His dad looks to me to be what we call a "jabao"- someone with African features but light skin, hair and eyes.

    But then again, John might be adopted for all I know.

  19. #459
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,694
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    OMG I fell utterly in love with the Russians today. They were amazing. Germany were really good too. Though obviously gutting for Boy. Am way behind on the womens side but hopefully catch up eventually.

  20. #460

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    City of Blinding Light
    Posts
    15,742
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4218
    People who've shared gyms with him say that John was adopted, and open about it in his real life. I can't confirm this to be true or not.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •